Help Me Mod my Boat!

Sharphooks

So yesterday I did something totally nuts and stepped up for a new-to-me boat. It was an offer I couldn’t refuse:

SPEX:
Seasport Commander 28
Twin Suzuki 300
Optimus 360 with electric steering

That’s just about the only package that would have made me step away from my current Seasport Kodiak 26

This will allow extended trips with a bit more comfort

Here’s the rig: 100 hours on the Zukes:

3EB67EC2-4D26-427C-84BE-324926DEC3F6.jpegHere she is:

So other then twin Zukes and Optimus360, she’s un-modded

What I plan to do:

1)) Yamaha Kicker T25 with side mount cable control throttle box—-question: where should I mount it???? I prefer side mount on starboard gunnel....that’s where I mounted it on my Kodiak...this is where I’m being told I should mount it:

92718F84-07C3-4F32-9B16-6E9758AD6FE8.jpeg

What say you?

2)) aft shelter from wheelhouse roof: there’s a cheesy canvas one there already. I’d like to eventually install solar panels and that appears to be a good place to do that so the wheelhouse roof is kept clean for kayaks/inflatables etc

What would be a good brand or build to replace that current canvas overhang with?

3)) Previous owner beat up all the batteries . I’m thinking of going lithium in the house battery—-this boat not only has a refrigerator but it also has a Seafreeze freezer in the hold——I can already smell those amp hours a-burning

Any thing I should keep in mind for lithium conversion????? All new tech for me—-again, lithium for the house, stick with flooded for the main outboards

4)) kicker bracket—-unfortunately the outboard bracket did not have a kicker pad molded in so it’ll have to be a bolt-on bracket strong enough to hold a T25....any advice for when drilling bolt patterns into power-coated aluminum so you don’t end up with downstream rust and oxidation?

5)) Plan was to take off all the stainless rails on the gunnels in the stern...Reason: On all my boats, I ran with a inflatable lashed on to the Port side, always ready for the dog beach assault......the stainless will make it tough to get in and out of the boat and into the inflatable....any wisdom in hanging on to the the stainless rails other then safety?

I haven’t seen the boat yet—-going to do a walk-through on Thursday—Ill have some more additions to this thread then....in the meantime, any and all comments welcome!

Last edited:
I upgraded from AGM house to LiPo this year. Single 100amp battery around 27lbs, happy with it. My riggers have more power, and it charges really fast from the main engine or the solar and even the 9.9 kicker. It was a little difficult to figure out how to install and wire, you need to keep in mind that you will need to get a DC/DC charger dedicated for the LiPo (MPPT charger style is also best for solar). Its got to do with the alternator and different voltage requirements for the lithium. Sounds like 200-300 watts of solar would be a good place to start and a few batteries.

Nice unit congrats.

Oh my god! Dreamboat especially equiped like that. Can you do the virtual anchoring? Would love to see the interior. Bet the table is a real 4 person table and nice size bed, not like on an 8'6" beam boat.

I'd think about having no kicker unless you are doing tons of fishing, with 10 springs a year there are only many trolling hours to put on a boat these days.

I'd go with King Canvas, I think they have Seasport templates, but I could be wrong.

I'd go Energizer AGM if they have them at Costco still? I have the victron Bluetooth wireless battery monitor for both banks and a victron charger. Looked at Lithium but the BMS etc headaches didn't seem worth the costs unless you are doing 90+ days a year away from the dock.

Renogy makes some pretty nice stuff Solar wise and the price point is reasonable. They have 175w flexible panels, 2 of those and if you have the space 2x200ah lithiums would be pretty sweet. Very nice new boat congrats

Oh my god! Dreamboat especially equiped like that. Can you do the virtual anchoring? Would love to see the interior. Bet the table is a real 4 person table and nice size bed, not like on an 8'6" beam boat.

I'd think about having no kicker unless you are doing tons of fishing, with 10 springs a year there are only many trolling hours to put on a boat these days.

I'd go with King Canvas, I think they have Seasport templates, but I could be wrong.

I'd go Energizer AGM if they have them at Costco still? I have the victron Bluetooth wireless battery monitor for both banks and a victron charger. Looked at Lithium but the BMS etc headaches didn't seem worth the costs unless you are doing 90+ days a year away from the dock.
No kicker. They're useless on big boats.

Also... you sonofabitch.

Another vote for no kicker. $5K or 6K by the time it's rigged and then you'll try trolling on one main "just to see if it works", and never go back.

Put the cash into properly designed charging system for lithium bank and solar panels for the house side. You use that heavily on the northern trips.

I‘m a dyed-in-the-wool kicker guy—- I did 100 hours on the kicker this summer and 100 hours on the mains—-if I didn’t have that kicker it would have been 150–200 hours on the mains without maintenance—-no way to treat a Suzuki

Here’s the boat I bought being put though its paces before being delivered to the first owner——please excuse the crappy sound track

I‘m a dyed-in-the-wool kicker guy—- I did 100 hours on the kicker this summer and 100 hours on the mains—-if I didn’t have that kicker it would have been 150–200 hours on the mains without maintenance—-no way to treat a Suzuki

Here’s the boat I bought being put though its paces before being delivered to the first owner——please excuse the crappy sound track

Oh man it has the under table extra bed/storage? Now I really am jealous. That's some serious trolling! I have one main, so I have a kicker as well.

You'd be doing 50 more hours on each because You'd alternate. Negligible and way better performance.

You'd be doing 50 more hours on each because You'd alternate. Negligible and way better performance.

I did 100 hours underway from spot to spot on the mains. Then I trolled 100 hours on the kicker in between those spots—- Even if I alternated that would have been 150 hours on each main outboard with no maintenance....not sure that’s good practice for getting long life out of a 4 stroke

Also, I’m a bait guy—-with no flasher.....I don’t like the trolling speed of a big 4 stroke....too fast for me. Unless you put it in and out of gear

I did 100 hours underway from spot to spot on the mains. Then I trolled 100 hours on the kicker in between those spots—- Even if I alternated that would have been 150 hours on each main outboard with no maintenance....not sure that’s good practice for getting long life out of a 4 stroke

Also, I’m a bait guy—-with no flasher.....I don’t like the trolling speed of a big 4 stroke....too fast for me. Unless you put it in and out of gear
Fair

There is a guy on here with a 30’ Commander with a very nice solar setup. He would be the person I’d talk too. I Forget his handle on here though.

love my solar setup. You could probably put 2 x 170 watt solar panels sideways on a new Bimini and I would use AGM batteries. Much cheaper than Lithium.
Nice thing about the solar setup is it charges while your fishing on the kicker too.
Nit sure where you are based but best to engage someone like Jeff at Pacific Yacht Systems. Seems you have had lots of electrical issues on the 26 and would be best to have it done right.

The 28 SeaSport is a really nice boat. Almost bought one 5 years ago.
I would leave your stern rails on and either go into the dinghy through opening step towards bow or back on your swim grid through transom door.
We get into our dinghy off the swim Grid. Much easier.
Congrats on the new boat. It’s a beauty!

Thanks for that, Sir Reel—I appreciate the advice on the solar panels. Getting in and out of an inflatable off the swim step is a bit sketchy in rough water: easy to pinch a pontoon and maybe tear it on the swim step ladder when waves are pounding...also, dealing with a suspicious dog who always thinks I have bad intentions. That’s why I get on and off from port gunnel—-I can do it quick.... but yes, the Commander has those mid-ship cut-away spots in both gunnels which might be the ticket. Thanks again

Back