murphys boat

was fishing the upper stamp today and down river was a west coast charters boat being very respectful and leaving us tons of room. then a murphys boat showed up and the drunk clients proceeded to light off fireworks for a half hour which sounded like a war movie. i was a little taken back from the peace of the river but way more pissed about the amount of garbage the fireworks spread into the river. i know its all about keeping the clients happy but come on murphys show some respect to the river

IMG]

Been there before. Guests will come up with the craziest crap. Had a few guests up in the charlottes that went to war with several other boats in their party. I think I would have suggested a bogus regulation to them however if I was on the river.

Yea, it's called safety. Close quarters, iginition source and gas on board. Don't just blame the guests, look at the operator as well.

Actually If I remember correctly, I have been bothered by a jetboat full of pyromaniacs as well in the past. Hmmmm...., I think a jet boat up on the Stamp.

Guys firing off bottle rockets. Actually I have even seen fireworks being set off in Sooke while salmon fishing. Not a fan......

Screws with my concentration and gets my hair standing on end. especialy not knowing what direction they are going to head.

Yeah, one bad apple in the bunch & everybody should suffer the consequences eh?? I think they got a name for that..........gotta love knee jerk reactions.....

i got no problem with jets on the stamp. i mean it frustrates me when i spend half an hour hiking and anticipating the first cast and as im tying up my gear a jet boat pulls up and catches 3 fish, but thats ONE RIVER OUT OF THE HUNDREDS that have fishable steelhead runs on the island. to be honest i would love to own a sled but for now my legs are good enough. if u have a problem with sleds on the stamp find another river to fish

IMG]

quote:Originally posted by Summer Steel

Yeah, one bad apple in the bunch & everybody should suffer the consequences eh?? I think they got a name for that..........gotta love knee jerk reactions.....

Well, im not going to get into a debate, just stating my personal opinion. But i have fished the stamp pretty heavy over the last year ( it is my favourite river), and seen all kinds of nonsense from jets. Mostly guide boats. From flying past you at full throttle, to pulling right up on your spot. And no its not just one outfitter. Anyhow, I'd prefer not to have them on the river. And trut me its not a jealousy thing, I pontoon and can go anywhere they go. Nothing like floating the river and getting away from everyone, to only have a jet full of newbs pull right up on you.

Lastly some guys ive met in jets have been great. But to go back to the orginal quote, yes 1 (or 5) bad apple ruins it for everyone (well me anyway)

quote:Originally posted by lorneparker1

quote:Originally posted by Summer Steel

Well, im not going to get into a debate, just stating my personal opinion. But i have fished the stamp pretty heavy over the last year ( it is my favorite river), and seen all kinds of nonsense from jets. Mostly guide boats. From flying past you at full throttle, to pulling right up on your spot. And no its not just one outfitter. Anyhow, I'd prefer not to have them on the river. And trust me its not a jealousy thing, I pontoon and can go anywhere they go. Nothing like floating the river and getting away from everyone, to only have a jet full of newbs pull right up on you.

Lastly some guys ive met in jets have been great. But to go back to the original quote, yes 1 (or 5) bad apple ruins it for everyone (well me anyway)

O.K. no worries, I get that you didn't want to stir up a hornets nest here & everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, however, it did come across as a bit harsh painting everyone with the same brush in your original statement. Bottom line is, people should be held accountable for their actions & theirs alone. The two main outfits working the Stamp, Murphy's & West Coast, both have their names & numbers plastered all over their boats so if you or anyone else should have a problem with them, wouldn't it be better to contact the owner of the company & speak directly to them about it?? Believe me, these guys want to know if there are any problems....it's their names & reputations on the line & that is what makes their business. I can tell you from personal experience fishing with Nick, who happens to be a good friend of mine, that we avoid other anglers weather they be in another boat or on shore as much as possible. Sometimes in low water in the early fall it is more difficult because the boat has to go where there is enough water to safely maneuver. Many times this fall, we've had to back down through the confluence when there were people fishing on both sides of the river. Now, weather you are coming down in a jet, drift or pontoon boat, you have to pick a place & go through....it's just that simple. We always chose to go as close to the Stamp side of the shore as possible & idle down past everyone. We didn't run over the middle of the pool like others did, nor did we blast through with a big wake.....it's called sharing the water & being respectful to everyone. How do you lump that in with the guy who just drifts down through the middle of the pool over top of all the fish & doesn't care?? Again, each person responsible for his own actions. When the water is high like it is now, we seldom encounter another angler because that is what we choose to do. Most people already know in high water conditions, there is very limited shore access. This is when jet boats make the most sense because you can fish miles & miles of water that otherwise would be completely inaccessible. When we do come across an angler in one of the few spots they can walk into, we give them as wide a berth as safely possible & just keep going. If there is no one there, sure we will probably take a few casts in those spots, but if someone comes along, we leave & let them have at it. There are just too many spots to fish that will have no one in them to hang around where anybody is fishing from shore. Now, like I alluded to before, not ALL boats do this....some will, for whatever reason, hover or anchor around shore anglers & other boats. I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion, including this year up at Money's. We had a boat from one of the lets say more prestigious outfits drift down & proceed to anchor up just above us. Now, at first, I was definitely more than a bit miffed that with all of the water available to a jet boat, this yahoo comes & anchors up on us in one of the only shore accessible spots at the time. That emotion would soon turn to laughter & finally sad sad pity for this bozo as we promptly proceeded to hook, land & photograph 4 nice summer runs including a very nice 10lb hatchery my buddy killed right in front of them as they put up the big skunk the whole time. Karma is definitely a hideous ***** goddess, & sometimes, she got PMS.:D Now I know for an absolute fact, that if that had been Nick's boat drifting down, he would have gone as far over to the other side as possible & drifted right by without even considering taking a cast in that spot. Once again, everyone responsible for THEIR OWN actions.....not all lumped in together. The Stamp is a big river with lots of room for everyone.......everyone needs to remember, it's not the type of boat that's the problem, it's the person operating it. If you see something that gives you cause for concern, call it in.....make those responsible accountable.

Youg stealheader: It is easy to fix. Just phone the rcmp and give the facts and names, and Mr. Murphy can pay a big fine for not havivg a permit, especially in a boat. He might loose his licenses?

Youg stealheader: It is easy to fix. Just phone the rcmp and give the facts and names, and Mr. Murphy can pay a big fine for not havivg a permit, especially in a boat. He might loose his licenses?

i dont want anyone to lose their license that good canadians loosing jobs just dont want to see the garbage.. i have no hate for jet boats i have went out 3 times with west coast on the stamp and loved it. hooked tons of fish.

IMG]

i dont want anyone to lose their license that good canadians loosing jobs just dont want to see the garbage.. i have no hate for jet boats i have went out 3 times with west coast on the stamp and loved it. hooked tons of fish.

IMG]

Back