Stamp river

Status
Not open for further replies.

BcChrome

Planning a trip up to port alberni for the long weekend ! Boat is unfortunately out of service so will be leaving it at home or I’d be trolling the inlet. Was hoping if time permits I could sneak away from the family and fish the river. Does anyone have a map of the more popular spots that are mentioned on here? Money’s pool, the bucket, girls guide falls ? Also curious where the boundary is below the stamp river falls as I’m looking at google maps and trying to plan routes on where to go. Thank you all for any info

Check in at gone fishin in port. They will be able to steer you in the right direction and update you on any areas that are closed as well as any gear restrictions.

Check in at gone fishin in port. They will be able to steer you in the right direction and update you on any areas that are closed as well as any gear restrictions.
Awesome thanks for the reply. I will definitely be stopping by !

Awesome thanks for the reply. I will definitely be stopping by !
Girl guide is reached taking the trail upstream from the gun club. Hopefully they still allow access. You may need to sign in. Money's was a pain to get to last time I tried from the Beaver Creek side. Hopefully the trail is better than it was a year ago. The guys and gals at Gone Fishing should help you out.

Girl guide is reached taking the trail upstream from the gun club. Hopefully they still allow access. You may need to sign in. Money's was a pain to get to last time I tried from the Beaver Creek side. Hopefully the trail is better than it was a year ago. The guys and gals at Gone Fishing should help you out.
Yes I heard about parking at the gun club. A friend said it was by donation to park, I'll be sure to check that out. Sounds like Money's is pretty high up river. I'm sure most fish will be in the lower part in early September so will probably be sticking to that area looking for pools. Def will be stopping by Gone Fishing !

Watch for native openings like yesterday ! Seen nets on top of other nets besides other nets. Nothing will ever get by that

Watch for native openings like yesterday ! Seen nets on top of other nets besides other nets. Nothing will ever get by that

Don't worry. The special round table management board here already has the situation well in hand:

7,760 escapement

Catch to date: 81,324

Business as usual.

Nog

one of the key points that Nog has failed to mention is that the Somass Chinook is a hatchery-enhanced stock (Robertson Creek hatchery) verses a wild run. The hatchery exists for producing fish to catch in exploitation rates above 80% as opposed to wild runs which are targeted below 20% ER. As long as the hatchery gets it's ~21K for egg take, the rest is "surplus", and the hatchery gets their eggs at the end of the fisheries after the brood stock has made it to Robertson Creek - so the catch is front-end loaded. Pretty important points to know when reading these posts.

one of the key points that Nog has failed to mention is that the Somass Chinook is a hatchery-enhanced stock (Robertson Creek hatchery) verses a wild run. The hatchery exists for producing fish to catch in exploitation rates above 80% as opposed to wild runs which are targeted below 20% ER. As long as the hatchery gets it's ~21K for egg take, the rest is "surplus", and the hatchery gets their eggs at the end of the fisheries after the brood stock has made it to Robertson Creek - so the catch is front-end loaded. Pretty important points to know when reading these posts.
So there are no wild, naturally spawning fish in the Somass, Sproat, Stamp systems? Why bother having a hatchery so far from tidewater?

So there are no wild, naturally spawning fish in the Somass, Sproat, Stamp systems? Why bother having a hatchery so far from tidewater?

For years the mantra has been that the wild spawn does not contribute to recruitment.
Something that many disbelieve. Many of those with relevant related scientific backgrounds that is...

Around the same time that little nugget was spewed, the "required escapement" was then set at 30,000 to meet hatchery egg take targets only.
Year after year, that number has been gradually reduced in reflection of the overly heavy front end harvests occurring each year.

Nog

Either way, its the most disgusting river netting aside from the Fraser River. Just brutal. Would be nice to see the FN nets in the inlet and spears and traditional basket fisheries in the river. That would be cool to watch.

The Somass river has a wild run of chinook that used to make up the majority of the fish returning. The run is still there not as strong most years due to damage to spawning areas in the ash and the fluctuation in flows the upper stamp receives as well as at one time lots of nasty stuff being dumped out of the fish farm beside it. The idea that there is no wild run is from people who have a vested interest in full exploitation of the run without considerations for the wild run that used to prosper (like steelhead) and did so last year for some fluke reason to make for the larger then average return. At one time not that long ago it was hard to fish trout or steelhead because there were so many boots around you would snag into them constantly those days are gone making it all the more important to recognize the runs existence and try to build it up again through protection. DFO likes using the Somass fish to keep everyone somewhat happy in the face of closures elsewhere which puts the run under significant pressure from anglers from all over and commercial boats from all over and first nations from all over. Having to give considerations to a wild run would only get in their way like steelhead so they ignore and pretend like they done exist and try to eliminate them. so yeah there's a run

Either way, its the most disgusting river netting aside from the Fraser River. Just brutal. Would be nice to see the FN nets in the inlet and spears and traditional basket fisheries in the river. That would be cool to watch.
I think more selective fisheries is the key point - not necessarily whether or not they use baskets. Certain types of fishing are suitable for certain types of rivers. Fish weirs only are able to be established in low gradient more fine sediment reaches of rivers. Fish wheels only work in confined areas such as canyons with deeper depths and turbid water. baskets work in the same areas for the same reasons.

And there is a place for other fish capture methods, such as nets. beach seines only work in areas that have a beach w/o snags. The key to gill nets is timing and net size.

I feel that many posters on here are from the lower mainland and bring their experiences and biases with them - as we all do. The Fraser is arguably the hardest river to manage for bycatch - esp. gillnets. Unlike many of the smaller rivers - there are multiple stocks and multiple species co-migrating. Some of those stocks are at risk.

But altho the watershed area is huge for the Fraser - there are in comparison many coastal watersheds where it is a very clean sockeye run with minimal bycatch.

and on the suggestion that FNs should only use pre-colonial fish capture methods - what if the tables were turned? What if a FN poster suggested that the descendants of the European settlers could only use horse and buggy to go to work, and couldn't use computers or synthetic clothing?

Would that be seen as both an unrealistic and paternalistic suggestion? I think it would.

and in any event this point on traditional harvesting has already been covered in case law - part of the existing laws of Canada which also includes case law. They rule that the "nature of the right must be determined in light of present day circumstances." and that "While the modern day exercise of the rights must be related to historic uses at the time of the treaty, the intensity of particular resource harvesting and the methods used do evolve" for harvesting both terrestrial and aquatic resources.

business as usual?
I borrowed that saying from Nog. They were looking for 325K for this run size. Looks like GCL will get it's expected escapement of 200K. Sproat looks like it will fall short by ~30K or so. And there is also a tale to tell this summer of the heat wave pushing sockeye out of the system into the inlet.

I think more selective fisheries is the key point - not necessarily whether or not they use baskets. Certain types of fishing are suitable for certain types of rivers. Fish weirs only are able to be established in low gradient more fine sediment reaches of rivers. Fish wheels only work in confined areas such as canyons with deeper depths and turbid water. baskets work in the same areas for the same reasons.

And there is a place for other fish capture methods, such as nets. beach seines only work in areas that have a beach w/o snags. The key to gill nets is timing and net size.

I feel that many posters on here are from the lower mainland and bring their experiences and biases with them - as we all do. The Fraser is arguably the hardest river to manage for bycatch - esp. gillnets. Unlike many of the smaller rivers - there are multiple stocks and multiple species co-migrating. Some of those stocks are at risk.

But altho the watershed area is huge for the Fraser - there are in comparison many coastal watersheds where it is a very clean sockeye run with minimal bycatch.

and on the suggestion that FNs should only use pre-colonial fish capture methods - what if the tables were turned? What if a FN poster suggested that the descendants of the European settlers could only use horse and buggy to go to work, and couldn't use computers or synthetic clothing?

Would that be seen as both an unrealistic and paternalistic suggestion? I think it would.

and in any event this point on traditional harvesting has already been covered in case law - part of the existing laws of Canada which also includes case law. They rule that the "nature of the right must be determined in light of present day circumstances." and that "While the modern day exercise of the rights must be related to historic uses at the time of the treaty, the intensity of particular resource harvesting and the methods used do evolve" for harvesting both terrestrial and aquatic resources.
It is easy to claim little bycatch when the bycatch runs have been eliminated. I am wondering if there is an example on the island of a sockeye net fishery in river with gill nets that has minimal bycatch? The somass is a glaring example of steelhead runs being ignored and almost eliminated as bycatch. The first nations fishery on the somass creates good local economic spin off but that doesn't change the fact that it has been at the expense of steelhead populations. If it appears there is little bycatch it is because the damage has already been done and so few are returning, not that the gill net fishery is so good at keeping bycatch down. Don't expect that there is any reporting of the steelhead mortalities it is responsible for, those pictures of dead skeena steelhead in tin boats is the same thing you will or would have seen on the somass. Unreported bycatch is business as usual on the somass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back