Multiple hoochie rigs.

TheBigGuy

Great day for fishing, but I couldn't get my kids out of bed so I thought I'd post here in the meantime. Maybe we'll make it out later.

On the topic of new fishing techniques. I thought I'd bring up the subject of multiple hoochie rigs. What do I mean by that? who fishes more than one hoochie on a rig. Either a smaller hoochie in front as a teaser, or a needlfish hochie inside a full size Octopus hoochie. I have been doing this for a few years. I know others have been as well. I'll give you a few of my ones that have worked. I rarely see this topic discussed on the forums. What favorite combos have worked for you?

I have copied this stuff from posts I have made on other forums. I have edited a bit for clarities sake.

You can cover more color bases by inserting one hoochie inside a different one. The glow needle fish inside a transparent purple haze hoochie has worked well for me. Another combo that has worked well for me is a pink needlefish hoochie inside a full size green and white. In Parksville they use a pink needle fish inside a transparent purple haze combo. The combinations are endless, feel free to let us know if you have a fav that works for you.

I tied a couple of different rigs a little while ago and gave one a try today( June 3). Be damned if it didn't get a nice fish on it's first dunking. No monster , but still an 11 or so pound spring.

Here's what I tied up.

Outer hoochie: glow army truck octopus size.
Under the army truck hoochie: bubble gum pink octopus hoochie (with black dots).
Inner hoochie: needdle fish size cerise hoochie.
Pearlescent mylar insert inside needle fish hoochie.
Single siwash hook tied on 40 pound test fluorocarbon leader 40 inches long.

Well those are what I have tried, anyone else willing to share their favorite combos?

Purple Haze regular size with a squirt pink hoochie stuffed in it.
Solid white glow regular size with a red or orange squirt hoochie in it.
Sometimes I'll use two squirt hoochies and run them pushed into each other to make for a needlefish length two toned set up.

Pink squirt inside T-Rex, Clear UV over anything with green, pink squirt inside glow green. Clear UV over green killed the Coho. I tried without the UV and action slowed significantly.

One that I have used and had a lot of success with over the years is to slip a pink Sockeye hoochy inside an Octopuss size all glow hoochy with about 3 beads to space it back a bit. Single hook on 60# Triple Fish mono.

I have hooked every species of Salmon and even the odd Halibut on this one. It worked in Vancouver, Dixon Entrance, and the WCVI.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Knew i guide in brentwood bay (many years ago) would put a white hootchie over an anchovie.

Sorry for no pics Dogbreath. I'm not a big camera guy. The family always gives me heck because I go on a trip and don't end up taking any pictures.

Another combo that worked this summer was a 1/2 black & 1/2 transparent full size hoochie with a pink needlefish hoochie inside. The black hoochie had never caught a fish, but with the pink inside it was transformed into a producer.

Another one that worked well was a transparent purple haze hoochie with a glow needlefish inside. I took a purple felt pen (sharpie) and colored the last 1 1/2 inches on the hochies purple. The extra addition of purple color seemed to work quite well.

I have been experimenting on adding different colors to hoochies and it has seemed a very positive enhancement. I got the idea from another forum and it is definitely worth keeping some felt pens on the boat to experiment with. You can use them to doctor up spoons and plugs as well.

KCW, that guide wasn't by any chance Sweeny was it?

Interesting topic .....
and since sockeye fishing is close in mind - here are three of my fav combinations - MP44 or MP16 with the top cut off and pulled down over a glow head MP or blue/glow head so that the glow head pokes out ( This is mainly to allow the glow head to also have eyes)
The photo showing only one hootchie (with the tandem hooks)is my all time fav. It is a MP16 pulled over a glow MP. From hook tests for socs however I find a single 6/0 Octo better than tandem 4/0 for a few reasons. I am not enthusiastic on using a big siwash with hootchies but I know some love em (so do commercials as it holds well once hooked up)
For anything other than socs or pinks I prefer tandem 3/0 or 4/0 on my hootchies
IMG_3917sochootch2.jpg

IMG_3916sochootch1.jpg

Correction of a scentence (sorry for some reason no edit option) should read
"The photo showing only one hootchie (with the tandem hooks)is my all time fav. It is a MP16 or 44 pulled over a MP pink with glow head.

I have tried a few different combos, none that have worked tho.
My favourite is a octopus white hoochie with 4 beads in the head, then a small bubblegum pink inside of it.

A trick my buddy uses here in the San Juan islands for springs and feeders is to insert a small 1.5 inch herring strip inside a needlefish(squirt) or octopus hootchie. It is held in place by a #6 trout hook tied in below the beads. It is a very effective fish catcher.

john

A clear U/V squid body with a pink or reddish needlefish squirt inside it.

Also works with a clear U/V squid body that has glow stripe on it.

Where I fish this is called a "Qualicum Killer" and it is quite good for late August/September fish.

PeaHead:- your "edit" option is in the icons above the post space...you can "edit" no problem.....:)

Anybody know how to upload a pic here though?

I hit "edit" and then "insert image" but no "browse" option comes up to retrieve pic from personal photo files....

quote:Originally posted by Seafever

Anybody know how to upload a pic here though?

Open an account with photobucket, upload your pics to their website. Then paste the address of the picture into your post by using the "insert image" button. Search for the word "photobucket" using the search feature on this site. You should find more detailed instructions than mine, as this question has been asked many times before.

Back