2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup veg oil
old bay seasoning
Lemon pepper
salt to taste
garlic powder

Lay fillets out skin side down and dust with old bay(I use a fair bit), salt and garlic powder, lemon pepper(again not shy here) and place in a large Ziploc freezer
bag, set aside

wisk all together brown sugar, soy sauce, water, veg oil, pour over fillets in Ziploc making sure they are all covered
put in fridge for 2 hours, turn bag over at the 1 hour mark.

preheat BBQ to medium-high heat, place fish on grille or fish rack skin side UP cook for 10 minutes,
flip and cook another 6-8 mins just until fillet flakes easily and is moist.

OMG this is so good we had a BBQ the other night and I always, I mean ALWAYS cook way too much but there was not a scap to be found anywhere,
I have used it on Marbled spring and white spring and both were incredible.
very easy to make just needs a little planning as it requires the 2 hour marinade time
Enjoy!
Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
just made this again using Red spring from Saturday but added 15-20 drops of
liquid smoke to the marinade,
even better in my opinion, goes well with roasted veggies and corn on the cob all BBQ style of course,
not sure how you guys bbq corn but give this a try
peel back the husk leaving it attached to the cob, remove all the corn silk, fold the husk back into place, soak in cold water for 20 minutes(prevents burning and helps in steaming), put on med hot bbq for aprox 1o minutes turning frequently
the flavor the husk induces into the corn is awesome and the niblets come out perfect not burnt at all

Thanks hooking up , looks like an amazing recipe for sure i'll be giving er a go sometime soon! Thanks for posting

cheers Jeff

Looks like a great recipe, hook - how thick were the filets? I would assume you would adjust the cooking time according to the thickness. I thought the general rule of thumb was 10 minutes per inch of thickness???

they were pretty fat, probably 1-1/2 anyway at the thickest, the trick is to start grilling skin side up first, then flip to finish and you wont get them nasty balls of fat on top and really locks in the moisture this way as well,
but your right adjust times accordingly

Brought a nice red to the inlaws in sask. Going to give this a go tomorrow as our contribution to Christmas appy hour. Just made the marinade and put it in the fridge. Can't wait!

Still my go to marinade, I do love to try different things but this one is just too good to switch,
just remember the trick is to start off grilling it skin side up, then flip and cook skin side down,
this keeps all the natural fats and oils in and gives it part of the nice and moist oh so good taste

Saved it,
Looks delicious. can't wait to try it.
thxs for sharing hooking up!

Very similar to mine Tim...I add some ginger and garlic and use seaseme oil and seeds and without the water.
Everybody wanted it every sunday in the summer, even threw a tuna loin in for about 6 hours and then rolled it around on a hot grill...it was killer.

Back