Missing Boat

Porcupine, thats actually good news that no body was found - it provides some hope as it means it is still possible some or all of them are on land or floating around still on the unsinkable hull. I suspect they capsized so if the boat floats .....it is possible.

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

They were found last night.
No Survivors.
Dammit. [V]

Nog

Unless you can share a source, this is the latest, note the date and time.

Originally published Friday, August 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Comments (0) E-mail E-mail article Print Print view Share Share
Charter boat missing off Vancouver Island

The Canadian Coast Guard continues to search off the west coast of Vancouver Island for a missing charter fishing boat.

The Associated Press

Related
VICTORIA, British Columbia —

The Canadian Coast Guard continues to search off the west coast of Vancouver Island for a missing charter fishing boat.

The four men on board are a reportedly a local guide and three fishermen from the Portland-Vancouver, Wash., area.

Officer Bob Bennett at the Rescue Coordination Center in Victoria said no trace of the boat has been found and fog Friday is hampering the search by Coast Guard vessels.

The 19-foot aluminum boat left Monday from the Qualicum River Fishing Resort in Winter Harbor on the northwest tip of Vancouver Island.

The Oregonian reports one of the fishermen is 54-year-old Peter Idlewine of Brush Prairie, Wash., and the charter guide is Kevin Sturgess. Names of the two other men have been withheld at the request of their families.

www.thepnw-outdoors.com

Today 8/6: "Officer Bob Bennett at the Rescue Coordination Center in Victoria said no trace of the boat has been found and fog Friday is hampering the search by Coast Guard vessels."

I've been involved with many Coast Guard responses and have never heard of one incident of withheld information regarding a fatality, except perhaps names not release, there would be no point to it. Until something concrete arises, I guess we can all continue to hope...

www.thepnw-outdoors.com

Not questioning your info Nog but just watched Chek 6 news update while eating lunch 5 minutes ago and they say search is still on?

Tips

This is the latest news article according to Google News Search:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Families+hold+hope+missing+fishermen+guide/3368971/story.html

Families hold out hope for missing fishermen, guide

By Katie DeRosa, Victoria Times Colonist August 6, 2010 12:56 PM

VICTORIA — The families of the four fishermen missing somewhere along the west coast of Vancouver Island still hope the men will be found alive.

Peter Idlewine, 53, has fished out of Winter Harbour twice before, said his wife, Liz Idlewine.

That includes a trip last year with Kevin Sturgess, the guide and skipper of a missing six-metre aluminum fishing boat that was carrying the four men when it left Qualicum Rivers Fishing Charters and Lodge on Monday morning.

Peter Idlewine, a construction supervisor from Brush Prairie, Wash., is an avid outdoorsman who has been sports fishing and hunting for many years, his wife said.

"He's reasonably experienced with survival skills," she said, adding her husband felt confident with Sturgess as a guide.

Peter Idlewine arrived in Winter Harbour on Sunday with his friends, Tony and Gary Evans, two brothers who live in Vancouver, Wash., and Portland, Ore., respectively.

The three, guided by Sturgess, were planning to fish for salmon for three days, starting Monday, Liz Idlewine said.

Instead, their boat, the Qualicum River 9, was caught in 80 km/h winds and disappeared.

An expansive air and sea search is underway at Quatsino Sound on the northwest tip of Vancouver islands and along the Island's rugged and sparsely populated west coast.

The search has been extended to waters off Washington state, based on ocean drift patterns, said Gerry Pash, spokesman for the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre.

While the search continues to be stymied by thick fog, Pash said rescue crews are increasingly perplexed at how this "practically unsinkable" boat — described as "2,500 pounds of Styrofoam wrapped in aluminum" — has seemingly disappeared into thin air.

"Everybody's looking at each other saying, 'Where did this boat go?' " he said. "The optimist in me is (saying) maybe they're ashore somewhere. We don't know."

No flares have been spotted, no debris on the water — "absolutely nothing," Pash said.

The men do not have full survival suits, only life-jackets.

The search will not be called off until rescuers are satisfied they've covered "every inch," Pash said.

Liz Idlewine said her husband was well aware of the temperature change on open water so he's equipped with insulated boots, Gore-Tex pants and jacket, a hat and gloves.

She said she hopes the men are safe and Peter will come home with an amazing survival story to tell his two daughters, McKenzie, 21, and Marina, 19.

Stephanie Snider said she's becoming increasingly worried that the rescue mission for her two uncles, Tony and Gary Evans, will turn into a missing-persons file.

She said her tight-knit family is "just beside themselves," desperately awaiting news.

Sturgess, 36, is a "very experienced guide," said Rob Knutson, who runs Qualicum Rivers Fishing Charters with his family. Knutson said Sturgess lives in Winter Harbour for the summer fishing season, but could not say where Sturgess spends the rest of his time.

He said staff at the lodge are hoping for a happy ending. "You can't give up hope."

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

They were found last night.
No Survivors.
Dammit. [V]

Nog

If the boat capsized I would think it very odd that all persons were found at once. If you can't devulge the source Nog do you know if the boat was found capsized? all four with the boat ?
Very odd that no news of this...

Most likely bottled to protect the families before the news is posted
on T.V., radio, internet etc.
Just have to sit and wait now...[V]

http://www.westcoaster.ca/portalberni/9601-Port-Alberni-Fishing-Guide-Believed-Missing.html

Port Alberni Fishing Guide Believed Missing

By David Wiwchar PORT ALBERNI — A fishing guide believed to be from Port Alberni is one of the men missing off the northwest coast of the island.

Thirty-six-year old Kevin Sturges has been a guide with Qualicum Rivers Lodge near Winter Harbour for two of his 11 seasons as a guide.

He and his three American guests were last seen Monday morning leaving the lodge for a day of fishing.

A massive search by the Canadian military, RCMP and Coast Guard is underway, searching the waters from Cape Scott to Ucluelet.

Stacey Beard, a former guide at the Qualicum Rivers lodge, said Sturges was one of the safest and most experienced guides in the area.

The men had lifejackets available but not full survival suits or an electronic positioning indicator beacon that would activate in the event of an emergency. A massive air and water search is continuing although fog has complicated what officials are still calling a rescue effort.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

http://www.theprovince.com/Search+ongoing+missing+boat+Vancouver+Island/3369909/story.html

Search ongoing for missing boat off Vancouver Island

By Yolande Cole, The Province August 6, 2010 6:21 PM

The search for four missing fishermen continued off the north coast of Vancouver Island Friday</u>, despite a heavy fog.

It is still a very active search,” </u> said Second Lt. Peter Drysdale from the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria.

“There have been patches of less fog, but again as the day goes on it has moved back in again. The fog is still quite heavy.”

Drysdale said a helicopter, aircraft and boats are currently involved in the search.

The RCMP have also sent a vessel to aid the search, involving CFB Comox and the Canadian Coast Guard.

The four men were aboard a six-metre chartered fishing boat which was reported missing by the Qualicum Rivers Fishing Resort and Lodge on Monday evening.

The boat had last been seen Monday morning when the four men left for a fishing trip north of Brooks Peninsula. Their last radio contact was at 9:30 a.m.

One of the missing men was identified Thursday as Peter Idlewine, a 53-year-old construction superintendent from Brush Prairie, Washington, a small town near Portland, Oregon.

Also missing is fishing guide Kevin Sturgess, 36. The other two fisherman have been described as a resident from Washington and another from Oregon, both in their 50s.

Drysdale said the forecast for Saturday</u> calls for less fog.

ycole@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Most likely bottled to protect the families before the news is posted
on T.V., radio, internet etc.
Just have to sit and wait now...[V]

Most likely trying to contact next of Kin. Kevin's father moved to South America a few years back. I feel so badly for the family. My wife was a co-worker of Kevin's father. Fishing turned Kevin's life around. Before that, he had little or no direction in his life. Fishing was his passion.

I find it impossible to assume the US and Canadian Coast Guard would continue to fabricate a search that isn't happening, that just doesn't happen. Personally, if I were a friend or acquaintance of the victims I would want 100% search effort going on until all hope is exhausted, regardless of internet speculation. I know the search goes on along the Washington Coast today as the current pattern would have moved them that direction.

www.thepnw-outdoors.com

Easy Gentlmen, It aint over till it's over. I tend to hold out hope that my countryman and yours are still out there fighting the good fight. Until I hear positive proof that contradicts this I will continue to hope and pray for a positive outcome. Osprey

quote:Originally posted by dman

I find it impossible to assume the US and Canadian Coast Guard would continue to fabricate a search that isn't happening,
www.thepnw-outdoors.com

X2

If the statements made by the Joint Rescue Coordination Center below are a complete lie and totally fabricated as a stall tactic until all the next of kin is notified, then how can one ever have faith in anything the rescue center has to say from now on ?

This was written tonight ...taken from a post above:

"The search for four missing fishermen continued off the north coast of Vancouver Island Friday, despite a heavy fog".

It is still a very active search,” said Second Lt. Peter Drysdale from the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria.

quote:

If the statements made by the Joint Rescue Coordination Center below are a complete lie and totally fabricated as a stall tactic until all the next of kin is notified, then how can one ever have faith in anything the rescue center has to say from now on ?

This was written tonight ...taken from a post above:

"The search for four missing fishermen continued off the north coast of Vancouver Island Friday, despite a heavy fog".

It is still a very active search,” said Second Lt. Peter Drysdale from the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria.

Well, it's believable in my books. The public doesn't 'need' to know the facts, only the relatives matter here and I'm sure they are told everything exactly as it is so far. Face it, the last thing officials would want is for someone to find out their son, father whatever has died from a media source. They HAVE to be notified first before any media can put out an official word, and if even one of the contacts can't be reached, they DO need to stall.

I would assume nog's info is accurate and those are the facts, as hard as they would be to swallow for any of us that spend time out on the ocean.

Usually when a SAR operation has information that they can't divulge to the general public they will state that they have developing information on the operation and leave it at that. To come out and say it is still a very active search and talk about the chance of more favorable conditions on Saturday would be a total fabrication if Nog is correct. Typically this would not be done.I could be wrong but my cup remains half full on this one.On a side note I think I would want to see a life raft on the top of a 19 foot open boat that went offshore for me to set foot on it. Or any boat for that matter.I am surprised it is not a requirement for a guided boat offshore.

Back