Missing Boat

Third day overdue. Certainly doesn't look good. You always hold out hope that they somehow are alive. Times report said winds were gusting 60 to 80 kph on Monday. If that's the case then the situation to me is very bleak.

From the sounds of the fog it will be damn tough to find them if they're on dry ground somewhere.

i've ran a very similar boat out to the highway off esperanza a few times. i'm sure they are very capable for their size. however it doesn't matter sometimes what boat you're in when trouble brews.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/northislandgazette/news/100074564.html

Search for missing boat thwarted by fog

By Teresa Bird - North Island Gazette
Published: August 05, 2010 3:00 PM
Updated: August 05, 2010 3:42 PM

WINTER HARBOUR – Efforts to locate four people missing in the Quatsino Sound area have been thwarted by fog.

The search continues to be active but the focus is changing, said Gerry Pash spokesperson for the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria. The six-metre aluminum fishing charter boat was last seen Monday leaving Winter Harbour.

The charter boat is owned by Qualicum Rivers Winter Harbour Resort and Lodge. They have been operating the lodge out of Winter Harbour for 12 years.

Since Monday, aircraft have scoured the waters from Quatsino Sound to Nootka Sound using infrared and radar technology but have not spotted the missing vessel.

"The water has been covered pretty thoroughly, " said Pash. "There's been no debris, zero clues, nothing. It is an aluminum boat, it's not going to sink. Everyone is asking, 'Where did it go?'."

So the focus of the search has switched to the shoreline.

"A shore crawl with the Cormorant was planned for this morning around Brooks Peninsula, but visibility was too limited by the fog," said Pash. The Coast Guard vessel Gordon Reid, lifeboats from Bamfield and Tofino, as well as boats from the lodge, are scouring the shore looking for the vessel and its passengers.

"Right now this is still an active search," said Pash. "We want to be sure we have covered the area as best we could. We are not happy to say we've looked everywhere yet because with the fog we can't see everywhere."

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

One of the fishermen missing off the north coast of Vancouver Island for four days has been identified as Peter Idlewine, a construction superintendent from a small town near Portland, Ore.

“He has gone up to Canada and gone fishing frequently,” says Pete Sleeth, a friend from Lake Oswego who has known Idlewine since they were boys.

“He’s just a consummate outdoorsman. He just loves Canada and he loves fishing. One of the highlights for him is to go up to Canada [on fishing trips],” Sleeth told The Province.

Idlewine, 53, lives in Brush Prairie, Wash., a rural community outside of Vancouver, Wash., near Portland, with his wife.

Sleeth said he had the wife’s permission to release her husband’s name, but didn’t want to disclose any other personal details.

Sleeth didn’t know the other two men on the fishing trip, he said. They have been identified only as a resident of Washington and another from Oregon. They are both also in their 50s.

Also missing is experienced fishing guide Kevin Sturgess, 36.

The four men were last seen Monday morning leaving Qualicum Rivers Fishing Charter and Lodge in Winter Harbour on the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Their last radio contact was 9:30 a.m., and the alarm was raised after they failed to return to the lodge Monday at 7:30 p.m.

A massive search-and-rescue operation, led by the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria and involving CFB Comox and the Canadian Coast Guard, has failed to spot up the six-metre grey aluminium fishing boat. The four-day search has been hampered by fog and low cloud cover.

The men had lifejackets available on the boat, but not full survival suits or an electronic positioning indicator beacon that would go off in the event of an emergency.

Winds on Monday in the area were gusting as hard as 80 km/h, causing three-metre waves.

The fishing lodge released a statement saying staff were helping the searchers in any way they could, and they were praying for the safe return of the four men.

slazaruk@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province

Kevin Strugess was a popular guy when he guided in Tofino - i knew him well. :(

I pray for his and his crews safe return.

quote:Originally posted by FishRanger

Anybody know which guide it is. Looks like Mike's boat is #2 from the pic.

Boat # 9. Kevin. And Clients. [V]
Ghawd Dammit.
Not a lot of hope remaining.
Freaked.
Actually canceled tomorrow and came home.
Gut says The Mistress took them.
Another Comrade In Arms down...
Ouch.

Sadly,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin
Gut says The Mistress took them.

Heres hoping [V]

Very tragic. My condolences to the families and friends of those missing. Suffering through the aftermath of this horrific accident must be unbearable. They are living a nightmare. I also feel for those on this forum that knew Kevin Strugess, such as tofinofish and IronNoggin. I am so sorry to hear that your friend may have been taken by the sea that he obviously loved so much.

Every time something like this happens, I re live a few days from a similar event 12 years ago. What a tragedy and what a waste.

My thoughts and condolences to the friends, families, coworkers and all who knew those souls.

FM.

Just got this email in response to my email:

Thu 05/08/2010 9:28 PM
We are currently and constantly talking with RCC about the group. RCC released the name of one of the missing men but the families didn't want to release the names of the others. So far though, nothing to indicate the four are dead. The search continues as before.

Stay tuned.

Terry Bell
CKNW News

Corus Radio Network
Vancouver

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

Sad news. Heard on the radio tonight that one of the anglers' bodies was found.

Hey Jim ...have you heard anything that would validate porcupine's post ?

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/aug/05/clark-county-fishermen-missing-off-coast-of-bc/

Clark County fishermen missing off coast of B.C.Charter boat failed to return from outing on Monday

By Mark Bowder
Columbian staff writer

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Two Clark County men were on board a commercial fishing boat that went missing late Monday off the coast of British Columbia, Canada, according to the wife of one of the men.

Peter Idlewine, 53, of Brush Prairie was last seen with two other fishermen and a guide on Monday, said Liz Idlewine. One of the other fishermen was also from Clark County, she said. That man’s name was not available, nor was the name of the other fisherman, also said to be from the Portland metro area.

The boat was chartered from Qualicum Rivers Fishing Lodge & Resort in Winter Harbor and captained by a local fishing guide.

Gerry Pash, a spokesman for the Victoria Joint Rescue Coordination Center, said Thursday that a search effort involving Canadian Coast Guard cutters and a number of other vessels and aircraft has been ongoing since the 19-foot boat failed to return to port Monday.

The search area stretches from near the northern tip of Vancouver Island to south of the Canada-United States border, according to Pash.

He said the weather has complicated the search effort. It was initially windy when the boat was first reported missing, but calmer conditions allowed heavy fog to develop off the coast. Visual searches and radar has failed to turn up any sign of the vessel.

“It’s really quite a mystery,” Pash said. “It’s basically 2,500 pounds of Styrofoam wrapped in aluminium, so its not likely to sink.”

The boat, which was based in Winter Harbor, could be adrift with motor problems, or it could have put ashore in one of the many small inlets on the western shore of Vancouver Island.

“We would just love to hope they’re on land,” Liz Idlewine said. “If they’re adrift, it’s a very seaworthy boat with a very experienced captain.”

Idlewine said this was her husband’s third trip to that area, where he fishes for salmon and bottom fish. He works as a construction superintendent and has two daughters, she said.

Mark Bowder: 360-735-4512 or mark.bowder@columbian.com

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Man, I sure hope they are ok. I know Kevin and have fished with him on the rivers a few times. Great guy and really knows how to fish.

I was listening to both CFAX 1070 and CKNW 980 last night and can't remember which one mentioned it. It caught my ear though.

Back