Mexico beach fishing

Jordan330

I am going to Puerto Vallarta end of December and would like to try beach fishing. Can anyone recommend any rods, reels, and lures. thanks in advance.

Ditto for the above, big spinning reel and 11 ft ish rod. I have a rod I leave at the hotel we stay at but I take the reel down with me, the constant salt air and no use for 11 months at a time is rough on gear.

I like throwing soft plastic swim baits of 4-5 oz class. You need to be able to put lures into the zone just beyond the break and obviously the weight helps with this. Vary the retrieve speed to create a credible swimming action and good things can happen.

It's worth spending the time to find a rip and cast into that. These are the channels where water from breaking waves is returned to the main body of water. Fish of various sizes tend to congregate at the end of a rip to grab any nutrients carried off the beach. They can be subtle and tricky to spot for the uninitiated, but easy if you can look from above, eg, upper floors of high buildings. A good indicator is a place where waves don't break at all, with swells breaking away in both directions. Also your lure will sink more slowly in a fast current, giving it extra seconds in the strike zone.

Ditto for the above, big spinning reel and 11 ft ish rod. I have a rod I leave at the hotel we stay at but I take the reel down with me, the constant salt air and no use for 11 months at a time is rough on gear.

I like throwing soft plastic swim baits of 4-5 oz class. You need to be able to put lures into the zone just beyond the break and obviously the weight helps with this. Vary the retrieve speed to create a credible swimming action and good things can happen.

It's worth spending the time to find a rip and cast into that. These are the channels where water from breaking waves is returned to the main body of water. Fish of various sizes tend to congregate at the end of a rip to grab any nutrients carried off the beach. They can be subtle and tricky to spot for the uninitiated, but easy if you can look from above, eg, upper floors of high buildings. A good indicator is a place where waves don't break at all, with swells breaking away in both directions. Also your lure will sink more slowly in a fast current, giving it extra seconds in the strike zone.
Awesome thanks for the information. For a rod should I be looking at medium to heavy power or heavy? Thanks

Awesome thanks for the information. For a rod should I be looking at medium to heavy power or heavy? Thanks
Look at the rod's lure weight rating. You'd want up to say 5 oz/140 g. I use 50 lb braided line with 18" stainless leader.

I was in playa del carmen and brought my travel rod and fished 6 days each morning but was crazy waves always, one other fellow was doing the same thing at the resort and he caught nice bone fish. there was alot charters avaible but didnt have time

I too fish the beach a lot. I do the west coast Mexico south Ixtapa. Headed there again couple weeks late January. Get a fairly heavy duty take down rod, large reel, make up steel leader, braid... Have to have steel leader or 80 pound test leader... the needle fish are a pain in a-- and cut lines rather easy. I like to fast fish along top of water so can see most strikes coming. Usual sharp hooks and can make skip along top when retrieving. All kinds lure choice but the shimano flutter jigs work great and last long time... maybe have to replace rope hooks if action heavy.

Have a great time, I am out there every day am there. Mix in 4-5 boat outings too..

PB

You may also want to consider Snook (Robalo) fishing on the Ameca River. Years ago I went out with a guy who had a 14’ tin boat. We launched off a beach, had a great time and cheap compared to ocean fishing. Great fighters and excellent eating. You may have to do some research to find a boat. If somehow you can get to the river you might be able to fish off the shore. Watch out for crocs.
Good luck
Stosh

You may also want to consider Snook (Robalo) fishing on the Ameca River. Years ago I went out with a guy who had a 14’ tin boat. We launched off a beach, had a great time and cheap compared to ocean fishing. Great fighters and excellent eating. You may have to do some research to find a boat. If somehow you can get to the river you might be able to fish off the shore. Watch out for crocs.
Good luck
Stosh
Try Bloody Decks - mainland Mexico fishing

what area is that? I go to Sayulita every year but not much shore fishing there, I don't recognise where you were filming
I love that place watched some locals thrown a cast net then toss out bait over the breakers. They hooked some big fish never landed one though.

what area is that? I go to Sayulita every year but not much shore fishing there, I don't recognise where you were filming
Looks more like south end of PV.

Poppers work well around the rocks, especially at first or last light. Off the beach proper I usually go with a 3-4 oz rubber swim bait. The fish in the video is a medium sized Jack Crevalle, the locals call them toro, because they fight like a bull. Junk for eating, coarse red flesh.

Looks more like south end of PV.

Poppers work well around the rocks, especially at first or last light. Off the beach proper I usually go with a 3-4 oz rubber swim bait. The fish in the video is a medium sized Jack Crevalle, the locals call them toro, because they fight like a bull. Junk for eating, coarse red flesh.
That's correct and yeah Jacks not the best eating.
Not me in the video, just posted to show the OP what kind of fishing in the area.

I stay up in Guayabitos...

Back