Mechanic to do a sea trial in cowichan bay

I’ve been a mechanic for many years. From the limited info I have here, could be a number of things. First of all, those older carbureted v6 mercs use two swithboxes one runs each bank of cylinders. OMC calls them power packs.
If one fails, you will only have 3 operating cylinders and any speed.
These older mercs also use a high and low speed stator. If the high speed stator is failing, you would run fine at low speeds, but would not function properly at higher RPMs. To properly troubleshoot this, I would need more info, like at what RPM it loses power.. etc.. this is not something that can be easily diagnosed by keyboard warriors, however well intentioned.
I would be pleased if you wanted to take a look. It seems to be fine to about 1500 rpm then if i can get past that it will take off like a raped rabbit. It is the getting past it that seems to be the problem.

Could you be sucking air somewhere between tank and motor? Sounds like a symptom that's caused by that. Had a motor do that turned out to be a pin whole in the fuel filter, engine vibrations rubbed away developing the pin hole. The other issue if your carbed perhaps there out of sync. There's a tool for syncing them. A vacuum issue will due the same, definitely check all lines, even if you don't see a leak go over all of them. Years of vibrations rub into hoses and things can loosen up at hose connections just slightly and when under load will suck air or start leaking.

Last edited:
Could you be sucking air somewhere between tank and motor? Sounds like a symptom that's caused by that. Had a motor do that turned out to be a pin whole in the fuel filter, engine vibrations rubbed away developing the pin hole. The other issue if your carbed perhaps there out of sync. There's a tool for syncing them. A vacuum issue will due the same, definitely check all lines, even if you don't see a leak go over all of them. Years of vibrations rub into hoses and things can loosen up at hose connections just slightly and when under load will suck air or start leaking.
Thanks Ukee,
I have run the motor plumbed into a portable tank, so an air leak is not the problem. re the carbs. I completely replaced the reeds. intake manifold/plate or whatever it's called and the carbs with a new set, and still have the exact same problem. So I'm pretty confident the carbs and reeds are not the problem

How's the main seal on your power head had one wear out on 115 years ago popped the powerhead off put a new bottom main seal in and problem fixed. There's a seal on the top and bottom of the crank it's an easy fix once the powerhead if lifted off cheap seal to. Was sucking air into the crank

How's the main seal on your power head had one wear out on 115 years ago popped the powerhead off put a new bottom main seal in and problem fixed. There's a seal on the top and bottom of the crank it's an easy fix once the powerhead if lifted off cheap seal to. Was sucking air into the crank
How would one check this?

I believe it's called a leak down test you can get done, I just bit the bullet pulled the powerhead with out testing and it was pooched, flicked it out pressed a new one in and it ran great again. Had a 2 stroke dirt bike do the same thing years earlier and it was a crank seal changed it and problem was fixed.

Power head comes off easy, approx 6 - 8 bolts attach it to your mid, and undo your shifting rod. If you lift it straight up just enough via over head beam and a comalong change it out drop it straight back down and bolt up. It's an afternoon job. That's for your bottom seal. Top seal you will need a puller to take flywheel off to get at it.

Thanks for your help everyone. I would like to tell you the problem is fixed, I came in from another unsuccessful day of tinkering with the boat, and my wife said "What are you doing, just buy a new motor" (That's the abbreviated version anyway) Well who am I to argue when the boss says go spend some money- so I did! New power had been ordered, deposit has been paid, delivery and a few final details to be worked out. I should have it on the boat by the new year. I'm kind of excited, although I have grown attached to my old one

Well what’s the descision on the new power. What exactly did you end up getting. Can’t wait to see pictures of it installed.

Oly

Well what’s the descision on the new power. What exactly did you end up getting. Can’t wait to see pictures of it installed.

Oly
I got a new Mercury 150 four stroke. I will post some pictures when it's on. I don't have a delivery date yet. It's coming from Inlet Marine, and I'm on the Island, so I have to wait until they are coming over unless I want to pay freight, which I don't cuz I'm Frugal/Cheap.

I got a new Mercury 150 four stroke. I will post some pictures when it's on. I don't have a delivery date yet. It's coming from Inlet Marine, and I'm on the Island, so I have to wait until they are coming over unless I want to pay freight, which I don't cuz I'm Frugal/Cheap.

I am heading over to Vancouver early next week for a few days. I could possibly pick it up. I will have a pickup, and could bring it back to Nanaimo. Don’t know where on the island you are but could probably deliver it to you the next day. Let me know if you’re interested. Coming home on the 27 th or 28 th. No cost to you, I’m going anyways.

Oly

I am heading over to Vancouver early next week for a few days. I could possibly pick it up. I will have a pickup, and could bring it back to Nanaimo. Don’t know where on the island you are but could probably deliver it to you the next day. Let me know if you’re interested. Coming home on the 27 th or 28 th. No cost to you, I’m going anyways.

Oly
Wow! that's very nice of you Oly, but I don't think he'd let it go just yet.
I gave a deposit on my credit card and promised the rest by check. which I have not mailed off yet, as I just received the final invoice yesterday after deciding on the extra bits like gauges etc. I assume Chris will want a couple of days to ensure that the check clears before he let's someone just drive off with his motor. Plus we have to move some money around on my end, as this was an unplanned purchase, that will happen this week. I had to act fast before my wife changed her mind ;) (jk)
Also I haven't used my boat for just over a year now, another couple of weeks won't kill me

One more. Fuel pump.
If you are referring to diagnosing my motor problem. I did the fuel pump test as described to me by Isaac at Coastal Outboards. It checked out fine, no leaks.

The new motor is on. I took it for a sea trial today, and it seems to work ok. Sorry about the pictures, I can't figure out how to switch them around

IMG_1818.jpg IMG_1820.jpg IMG_1840.jpg IMG_1841.jpg

Why just okay? Would think you’d love it
I do love it. Way more pep, quicker hole shot, and a better top speed than the old motor. Seems to work OK is my poor sense of humour not translating as usual

Back