Buying a boat

Hey Everyone, looking to get some information from the wealth of knowledge here. I have been without a boat for a year now, licked my wounds clean, read my post from the campion 672 issues I had last year if you want the background. I'm working on a private sale for a Trophy 2359 Hard top cabin. This is definitely the model I'm after and I have a sale of one that I am working on. But I have some concerns and I'm looking at trying to get some stuff lined up to check this boat out before purchase.

Currently the owner is not interested in doing a sea trial. I get it, its a pain. especially because its in Coquitlam and not an easy place to navigate and spend all afternoon going for a rip in his boat when he is very confident that its fine and nothing is wrong with it at all. I do believe him, but not sure if I should let this one slip. I would like to get a mechanic to come and look at it and do a compression test, as well as someone to do a survey. Moisture was one of the biggest things that caught me on the last boat and it won't happen again.

I will say, this boat is immaculate, and it looks unreal in the pics. I will be down there to look at on May long, Im from Prince George. If anyone knows of a mechanic who could or would be able to look the engine over and do a compression test that would be amazing. Also if anyone has some other things that I should think about I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Craig

I remember the Campion story.

If a seller will not let you do a sea trial, that could be a bit of a red flag, so proceed with caution. There is a lake and a river not far from Coquitlam, so it would not have to go to the ocean, but that’s also fairly close if you go to a Port Moody. Have you tried contacting some surveyors in the lower mainland that could do a survey of the boat for you? Either you or the surveyor could also line up a mechanic to do a compression check and maybe remove the leg if they deem that to be important.

What year is the 2359? Dual prop? 5.7 or 5.0?

I remember the Campion story.

If a seller will not let you do a sea trial, that could be a bit of a red flag, so proceed with caution. There is a lake and a river not far from Coquitlam, so it would not have to go to the ocean, but that’s also fairly close if you go to a Port Moody. Have you tried contacting some surveyors in the lower mainland that could do a survey of the boat for you? Either you or the surveyor could also line up a mechanic to do a compression check and maybe remove the leg if they deem that to be important.

What year is the 2359? Dual prop? 5.7 or 5.0?
No sea trial? Huge red flag!
Example: brother-in-law buys a boat with no sea-trial. Of course the seller lies his face off about the wonderful condition his boat is in. Sure looked good in the pictures. 1/2 hr. after purchase, right back to the marina for $15,000 in repairs. Do not be that guy.

Agreed Red Flag. I think running the boat up to temperature under load (in the water), then reducing throttle and running and idling the boat is the bare minimum. I paid for a survey and they missed the fact the hull had been driven up on the beach and the keel had been damaged.

When I did sea trail on my current boat, I identified dead batteries, got the seller to replace, radar didn’t work, powered on but didn’t identify target got a reduced price, both engines ran well, ride was good etc.

Unless seller agrees to a sea trial with a deposit I wouldn’t come down from PG

Thanks everyone for the input. I will push for the sea trial. I agree but wanted to be sure. The boat is a 5.7 Liter mercruiser that's carborated not injected. The 2359 is a 2007.
Demand a sea-trial. A well-tuned carb is great on a boat: no complications with the electronics and fussy injectors. 350's are common and solid but still, demand a mechanical inspection. Remember, once you buy, his problems are now yours.

I should also say that the boat has not been in the water for its life. On the trailer. 280hrs on the boat. Not used much which is why they are selling. They don’t have the time to use it and don’t want to make time to sea trial.

I should also say that the boat has not been in the water for its life. On the trailer. 280hrs on the boat. Not used much which is why they are selling. They don’t have the time to use it and don’t want to make time to sea trial.
Sometimes that's a bad thing.. that's very few hours on a 17 year old boat. I'd want to see how the engine works under load. I wouldn't buy it without a trial despite how great someone makes it sound. If they don't want to take the time, give them a deposit and take it yourself.

If it’s discounted enough and no modifications then maybe. Is it cheap enough you would mind dropping 30-60k into it. I was trying to find you a video about a turnkey boat a guy bought for stupid money and has dropped more than the purchase price in getting it fixed. I think he’s into for 160kusd or more when he bought it for 80k usd

If it’s discounted enough and no modifications then maybe. Is it cheap enough you would mind dropping 30-60k into it. I was trying to find you a video about a turnkey boat a guy bought for stupid money and has dropped more than the purchase price in getting it fixed. I think he’s into for 160kusd or more when he bought it for 80k usd
Why will an adult do that? Maybe it was inherited money. I had to work too damned hard for 45 years to get mine! Boats are love/hate relationships. You should hate it first, not after the purchase.

i can see why people would be reluctant. offer a $500 nonrefundable deposit if he agrees to a sea trial.
if he still doesnt want to have one just walk away. you can trial it on the fraser - boat launch just below the bridge in poco next door.

sounds like Rain City!

not making lite. he has spent a fortune on his outdrives

Back