Market assessment…… boat value

Wooly

So time has come for me to upgrade to
Something larger. I don’t want to but don’t really have a choice with logistics. I need a boat I can leave in the Marina and stay in comfortably (shower, stand up head etc).

I have a buyer lined up for my boat already and we are just trying to figure out a fair price. A local guy is buying it from me. that’s the way I want it as the boat is built for the area. I also will love to see it out being used over the years.

So anyway I’m just curious if there is an easy way to get a market assesment done? So we can figure out pricing. I don’t want to take advantage of insane prices but just want to get fair price, as im buying and selling in the same market.

cheers!

Kevin

Your wooldridge? Aluminums are tough, new boats cost so much and people believe they last for ever, so resales asks are high not sure what people actually get. I know you want to be fair but any upgrade boat is going to be so expensive you need to get the going rate, not the ridiculous asks people want for junk and sits on the market for months.

Craigslist Seattle always has the largest list of Aluminums for sale I just do an advanced search and watch the market there for a month and see what sells. There is a guy trying to sell his 26 without a trailer I think started at 150k usd and dropped to 120k but it has high hours on the main but it’s a newer loaded hull. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/edmonds-new-price-2014-wooldridge-26-ss/7446220600.html

There is a kingfisher weekender for 120k

I bought my boat from a close friend and it is a tricky situation. Not worth being dicks to each other, just be honest and fair. I had researched multiple boats that had sold and came up with a range that the boats sold for. He did pay for a survey, and we did have an agreed upon price before I saw it, based on recent market sales. Unfortunately when I bought it, I ended up spending an extra grand on stuff I had assumed worked. We’d take an annual fishing trip on the boat so I knew the boat, but I recommend both parties go through the boat tip to tail and find what works/doesn’t. Everyone has different standards of “working condition”. Having said that, I have no regrets as I know my boat is in high demand can be sold in a matter of hours if it went up for sale. Be open and transparent. Huge wealth of knowledge on this forum so Id create a listing with pics, and let the membership give you a dollar amount.

If the boat you are selling is a common make/model, you can talk to a dealer who subscribes to a service to provide you some sales comparables for last year or two for your make/model selling. I believe they get the info from registrations, or perhaps a dealer network that participates together. I purchased a used boat last fall, and found a dealer to run such comparables before I purchased, and he provided me approx. 20 sale comparables with photos, price, sale date, sale location, and it was really helpful for me to feel comfortable about where prices were so that when a good used make/model I was seeking came up, I could act fast as far as pricing was concerned . But given the recent increases in boat prices, one could assume the value has gone up 25%+- since some of the comparable sales were transacted pre-Covid or before dealers ran out of inventory. I hope you can find a dealer who subscribes to such service to help you out.

If that doesn't work, find a dealer who regularly sells boats make/model like yours, and ask him what he thinks it will sell for on Craigslist or other? When selling a 24' Seasport last fall, I did just that and the salesman told me the price to list boat at and minimum to accept, then he told me he thinks he has two buyers in hand for a boat like mine, but had no unsold inventory until mid '23 and needs boats to sell, perhaps.... mine. I agreed to pay him a commission if he sent a buyer my way, which he did and I received a very handsome price and gladly providing him the agreed commission. This worked out very well for all parties.

good luck. DAJ

So time has come for me to upgrade to
Something larger. I don’t want to but don’t really have a choice with logistics. I need a boat I can leave in the Marina and stay in comfortably (shower, stand up head etc).

I have a buyer lined up for my boat already and we are just trying to figure out a fair price. A local guy is buying it from me. that’s the way I want it as the boat is built for the area. I also will love to see it out being used over the years.

So anyway I’m just curious if there is an easy way to get a market assesment done? So we can figure out pricing. I don’t want to take advantage of insane prices but just want to get fair price, as im buying and selling in the same market.

cheers!

Kevin

Seeing as your boat is fairly custom I think the best course of action is to ask Wooldridge what a new one would cost to build and apply a fair depreciation to that value.

I sold my 2014 boat in 2020 for more than I paid for it brand new, but it was substantially cheaper than what it then cost to get something comparable.

More importantly, what are you getting? I love your boat it is one of the reasons I have an insane line of credit.
Hahah thanks man. Yeah it’s a beauty. Makes me sad thinking about selling it.

I need 28-30 feet. With a standup head and shower. Something I can keep moored in the Marina and live on. Hang my hat and shower In between trips. My folks are leaving kitimat so my shop and place to stay are gonzo. My operation that I run at the moment is logistically impossible to do without my folks around. So I’ll sell the boat and start mooring a new one.

maybe another wooldridge? But not sure. I’ll most likely take 2023 off from fishing and use that time to figure out what I’m buying and get one built for 2024. Or buy used….lots of good builders out there. I’d like to get a hull done and do the rest myself. So at the moment I’m leaning that way. But if the right size used one came up for a good price that would work as well.

Hahah thanks man. Yeah it’s a beauty. Makes me sad thinking about selling it.

I need 28-30 feet. With a standup head and shower. Something I can keep moored in the Marina and live on. Hang my hat and shower In between trips. My folks are leaving kitimat so my shop and place to stay are gonzo. My operation that I run at the moment is logistically impossible to do without my folks around. So I’ll sell the boat and start mooring a new one.

maybe another wooldridge? But not sure. I’ll most likely take 2023 off from fishing and use that time to figure out what I’m buying and get one built for 2024. Or buy used….lots of good builders out there. I’d like to get a hull done and do the rest myself. So at the moment I’m leaning that way. But if the right size used one came up for a good price that would work as well.
Did you sell her? My brother in law is eyeing up a 23 Wooldridge right now.

Back