Marked Gas

Shepnoir

Hi all,

Upgrading to a larger boat has prompted me to start looking for marked gas in Victoria, but haven't found any. Anyone one know where a guy can save $?!:confused:

Will post pics of the new vessel once its on this side of the line. She's a breeder!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is actually marked gas? Is it the same as the farm gas? Who is entitled to buy it? Is it safe to expect that it is as fresh and good as regular pump gas?

Co op has it or get an account at columbia and they have it on rock bay eve.

What it is is MID grade gas which is better for your boat as it has more octane, I personally believe more octane is better but you decide for your self which route you want to choose.

It's mid grade gas with a dye added.
it's supposed to be used in farm vehicles/boats etc.
where some tax is excluded at the pump.

Please correct me if wrong but I beleive it also has no ethanol in it (mid grade at the car pumps has up to 10% ethanol)

I was told by a Co-op manager that there is no ethanol in their Victoria sold marked fuel. The gasoline road tax is not applied to marked fuel as it isn't intended for public road use, except farm vehicles. You can use it in ATV's dirt bikes etc if only used on private logging roads or in the bush.

I believe Mohawk is the only Ethanol based gas dealer on the Island, or at least I hope so. Be careful as the ethanol will destroy older motors which have plastic parts throughout the fuel system, and worse you will lose more than 1/6 of your gas milage running it. As far as Octane, all gas is the same when it is refined. But the difference is after refining individual service companies will put in additives to bump up the octane amount. Basically a similar product that you get at a retail store <ie. Octane Boost>.

Purple gas is the same as farm gas, also named dyed gas. I know it used to effect very hot running two strokes by leaving a film and causing premature engine wear, but I have no idea on fuel injection systems nowadays and how it effects a 4 stroke, as I am not a mechanic. Sometimes saving a buck costs you alot more in the long run.

Back