Marine safety course

With this recent storm and listening to the posts of others... I can't help but think I need more training on what to do if something goes wrong - really wrong out there.
I've taken the power squadron course but still don't think I have the hands on training/knowledge of what to do in rough weather or if a catastrophe happens.

Does anyone know of courses for general public that would help with this sort of thing? I'm talking - pulling someone out of the water, what to do in the water. How to handle unexpected waves, big seas.

It's not that I ever put myself in that position intentionally but does anyone ever plan for that.

the gold standard in reading material is 'chapman - piloting and seamanship'

most of what you ask is talked about so at least the basics of 'how' are covered. that said, experience on the water takes hundreds of hours of time and at the end of the day, there is no substitute.

in the interum, please wear a PFD that is comfortable for you, mustang float coat in the cold we have right now, hydrostatic inflatable later in the season. remember, you have MINUTES, in the water temps we currently have out in the strait (few days ago it was 38F) so staying on the surface should be a priority.

getting up early enough to check conditions, via multiple sites, is an important start to your day. don't assume everything is ok out there or going to remain that way through out the day. many days, i have just crawled back into bed hoping for better weather tomorrow.

I'd be happy to reply to this over in the OPEN forum (as a new topic) . This topic may get moved over there anyway since its not really on the topic as Saltwater Fishing. Before I move over there I must say I TOTALLY agree with Reeelfast on the comment that hands on experience on the water is THE best way to learn.

I totally agree with all that you guys are saying... but have you ever been in the water or seen a buddy go over in the chuck and know what to do right? Hard to read a book about that kind of thing.

I know there are guys in the coast guard that take their own training on those zodiacs on how to handle waves etc. Wondering if there is anything like that available to the general public?

quote:Originally posted by 2muchdraft

I totally agree with all that you guys are saying... but have you ever been in the water or seen a buddy go over in the chuck and know what to do right? Hard to read a book about that kind of thing.

I know there are guys in the coast guard that take their own training on those zodiacs on how to handle waves etc. Wondering if there is anything like that available to the general public?
Those people in that sailboat are lucky to be alive!

You might be surprised to know hypothermia is the leading cause of death in boating accidents – not drowning. Wearing a PDF is definitely a good thing, but depending on who, what, when, and where, I am not sure your PDF is going to do anything, except keep your ‘body’ floating? If you read about the sinking of the Titanic you will find of approximately 1,500 people floating in the 32 degree water for two hours, with their lifejackets on – none survived.

My advice, if you want to learn what to do and how to do it? I have taken every course the USCG has had to offer - along with my wife! Even the basic courses I went through due to my wife! I learned something from all, which is probably one reason I am here today! I would ‘HIGHLY’ suggest you get in touch with your local Coastguard Auxiliary and ask about available courses – maybe become a member? Most of “them” are the ones that will be going out and getting you!

This would also be a good place to start:
“Seamanship, explains the skills needed to understand the hazards of weather, wind, waves, tides, and tidal currents and how to deal with them.

When unforeseen circumstances arise such as man-overboard, and medical emergencies the seamanship course counsels the student, as to where and how to acquire the skills to deal with potentially life-threatening situations, and of course you can “learn the ropes”, from knots, hitches, bends, and splices.”
http://www.victoriasquadron.ca/inde...ip-course&catid=39:advanced-courses&Itemid=69

Take Power Squadron and absord as much info as possible.(with a grain of salt!)

One of the best things you can do is make practical checklists for serious emergencies and laminate them. It's great to have a good captain , but is often the captain that is the emergency! Your crew need to know what to do. You should have simple checklists that are understandable by everyone including non boaters for
-Man over board
-medical emergency
-vessel fire
-vessel sinking
-How to use flares and where they are located.

do your research and make checklists that make sense to you and your regular crew , and most importantly don't intentionally go out in weather or conditions that you are not experienced in.

Charlies comment about wearing a PFD is the most critical. The true killer in our area though is not hypothermia ,as most believe, it is cold shock leading to swimming failure.

Take ten minutes and watch this video. It will save your life if you ever hit the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDWPPZ8p-A

if you have a good power squadron detachment in your area, their courses can be a great addition to you knowledge base. we don't so i went through the pain and agony of joining the USCG AUX, finger printing, background checking, what a royal pain from DHS.

in the first 10 months, the commander had a bent toward educating the flock, i completed 4 super courses of study including: basic seamanship; radio and communications; weather; SAR. then the new commander took over and for the next 24 months, not a single course, i resigned!

everytime we have anyone new onboard, i go through the emergency procedures, including:
- throttles in neutral
- assess the situation, life threatening?
- MOB on the GPS
- operation of the DSC feature on the VHF
- pointing out the printed and permanently attached directions for emergency radio communication
- where the emergency gear is located, type IV throwable as well as throwable life line
- flares and when and how to deploy
- location of the mounted fire extinguisher
- how to manually trigger the EPIRB
- and finally, here is your PFD, how to wear it like your life depends on it

perhaps the best experience this group affords is going through the training for 'boat crew'. this consists of course room study combined with on the water practical application of various skills and procedures. if you have a bent in this direction, worth the energy.
lets cast off and go have some fun..............

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Charlies comment about wearing a PFD is the most critical. The true killer in our area though is not hypothermia ,as most believe, it is cold shock leading to swimming failure.

Agree with this one. Buddy of mine is with the coast guard, they train for cold water immersion. If you fall in, worst thing you can do is start madly swimming for safety. I can't recall the specifics, but your body quickly uses up its oxygen, you can't replace it fast enough, you get one gulp of sea water and sink like a stone...gone in 30 seconds.

What they are trained to do is float in fetal position for 1 minute, get your breathing in order, then swim 1 minute, rest 1 minute, repeat, or something along those lines.

Without a pfd, you will spend nearly all your energy just keeping afloat, and then when you're too tired and cold to swim, it will float you (cold but still alive). The pfd gives you a fighting chance, without it, you're in big big trouble and quick.

His other key message, repeated over and over, is to have a "go bag" in hand's reach of where you may have to jump overboard in an emergency. Waterproof VHF, flares, whistle. Or keep them in the pocket of your mustang jacket, and wear it!

"His other key message, repeated over and over, is to have a "go bag" in hand's reach of where you may have to jump overboard in an emergency. Waterproof VHF, flares, whistle. Or keep them in the pocket of your mustang jacket, and wear it!"

Couldn't agree more with this statement. When I took the MED A3 course that is exactly what the instructor asked us to take away as one practical application of the course. It makes safety briefings to your passengers all that much easier.

Searun

th_067.jpg

It is not legal but I have noticed a lot of presumably expired flares including parachute flares being set off on Halloween Night. It’s like people think they can hind them in with the regular fireworks.

You can take every course imaganable till it comes out of your ying yang. Its all for Not if you choose to ignore a marine forcast and use common sense and go out in some weather that is questionable.

What some people go out in I would never if think of it but every one has there own level of comfort and seem to like the thrill!!!!!SO they can say something to this effect:

"YEP 30 KTS WIND AND 10 FT SEAS MY BOAT HANDLED IT NO PROBLEM REALLY WASNT THAT ROUGH" why didnt you go out??? are you a wimp????

Sometimes its more about ones ego than safety, or they think YEP it will calm down id rather error on the side of caution because the ocean is very unforgiving it can and will kill you in a heart beat.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back