Making Prawn Traps and Need Hog Rings

Wwunder

So I took another member's advice and picked up some aquamesh to make prawn traps. They were out of stock on hog rings, so we managed to get some from PNT, but now I have run out and have a few more traps to make. Does anyone know of a source in Victoria for 3/8" stainless hog rings?

Thanks!

Here is a shot of the traps... The red ones are the ones I made. Basically a copy of the black one.

They are cheaper to buy if you value your time... Anyway, does anyone know where I might find more hog rings in Vic?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359514621.661730.jpg

Try a chain link fence outfit? Seems to me we used them when assembling pannels. But it's been a lont time since I made a chain link fence.

Hog rings are kind of like a blunt staple. You use curved pliers to wrap them around the mesh to tie it together.

Thanks for the tips guys... I'll try Trotac. I was under the impression that a lot of the hog rings for fencing are galvanized or aluminum.

Just curious why are those box style traps made from that plastic coated steel wire and not stainless steel wire? Does Stainless not fish well or is it purely cost which drives it?

It is PVC coated galvanzied steel... I assume stainless would be much more expensive, but I haven't checked. I have used traps made of this material for several years and they hold up well. Way better than the cheapo crab traps that disintegrate after a season or two.

whats the cost of the mesh and what do you do to protect the ends that are cut ??
They sure look good, nice work

whats the cost of the mesh and what do you do to protect the ends that are cut ??
They sure look good, nice work

I haven't done anything to protect the exposed clipped wires... Not sure if I need to since its galvanized and the surface area is small. I think the materials are $35 to $45 per trap.

The galvanizing is only a coating on the outside of the metal . The ends (cut)would just be regular metal. I'd be a bit worried about the rust working its way under the PVC but maybe not. Just thinking out loud ??

A note about stainless steel as opposed to a plastic covered other material is that over years of experience and trial and error, my dad swears that a black coloured trap will outfish every other colour every time. It does make sense as black is the primary colour of traps you see on the market.

A note about stainless steel as opposed to a plastic covered other material is that over years of experience and trial and error, my dad swears that a black coloured trap will outfish every other colour every time. It does make sense as black is the primary colour of traps you see on the market.
Mike you ever seen what other colors look like under water? At many depths colors appear different.

Back