Making Bacon

I watched the video (very good), bought some pork bellies, and now I need sodium nitrate. I found sodium erythorbate on Amazon. Any ideas on where to find sodium nitrate around here (Greater Vancouver)?
Tried Gourmet Warehouse; no dice. Mr.Google says it's hard to find in Canada. Might have to go begging at a few butcher shops I know of.
You have to ask for curing salt at Gourmet warehouse. They keep it behind the counter near the knives, probably to keep people from confusing it with salt that is pink. Great to know about Beefway. Looking forward to Trying Chicken World, have heard other good things about it. On a side note, and slight detour South on Victoria Drive, is Banh Mi Saigon for Lemonongrass pork Banh mi-yum!

Cold smoked about 14 hours total and then vac sealed for a week to mellow and let smoke infuse. It was a super lean belly ( arguably too lean) from Beefway. It’s hard to go back to most store bought bacon after doing it yourself.

Attachments

• 74E1CEBD-6ADE-4203-BB82-E4CA82A942A2.jpeg
    74E1CEBD-6ADE-4203-BB82-E4CA82A942A2.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 23
You have to ask for curing salt at Gourmet warehouse. They keep it behind the counter near the knives, probably to keep people from confusing it with salt that is pink. Great to know about Beefway. Looking forward to Trying Chicken World, have heard other good things about it. On a side note, and slight detour South on Victoria Drive, is Banh Mi Saigon for Lemonongrass pork Banh mi-yum!
Don't tell people about that place! Lol. Pro tip - phone and order ahead for no lineup.

Cold smoked about 14 hours total and then vac sealed for a week to mellow and let smoke infuse. It was a super lean belly ( arguably too lean) from Beefway. It’s hard to go back to most store bought bacon after doing it yourself.
So can I ask why you chose to smoke so long? Do you find that you like that amount of smoke or is it a curing thing?

Just remember the pink color only comes out in cured meat when it reached 130 135. If you put cure into raw meat it goes grey. You want your bacon to be pink and still not fully cooked. You can cold smoke it for days it will just get dryer and dryer. Really just depends on the smoker and how much smoke flavor you want.

Just remember the pink color only comes out in cured meat when it reached 130 135. If you put cure into raw meat it goes grey. You want your bacon to be pink and still not fully cooked. You can cold smoke it for days it will just get dryer and dryer. Really just depends on the smoker and how much smoke flavor you want.
But will that not happen when you fry it anyway?

Fair enough. Here is where I'm still learning. At what point does the cure actually cure? Some say when it gets set off and you actually bring the meat to safe eating temp it's good for long term smoke sessions without the risk of bacteria. Some say you can get away with ... I honestly don't know.

You go buy bacon on the store it's always pink. That can't happen to my experience without getting it past 130

Fair enough. Here is where I'm still learning. At what point does the cure actually cure? Some say when it gets set off and you actually bring the meat to safe eating temp it's good for long term smoke sessions without the risk of bacteria. Some say you can get away with ... I honestly don't know.

You go buy bacon on the store it's always pink. That can't happen to my experience without getting it past 130
Interesting. One might even ask why we need to use cure at all if we're freezing it anyways. But one guy said it changes the bacon somehow.

This is my first run. Maybe I'll run one chunk up to temp to try the difference. But seems like most guys like the cold cold smoke much better.

Interesting. One might even ask why we need to use cure at all if we're freezing it anyways. But one guy said it changes the bacon somehow.

This is my first run. Maybe I'll run one chunk up to temp to try the difference. But seems like most guys like the cold cold smoke much better.

From what I've learned from reading and watching and reading a watching over again is its 100 percent possible to only use salt and sugar. Like we do fish. The cure is really for presentation and the added support for the risk of botchalism. I get why commercial guys do it. Anytime you smoke things cold, you risk on that. Pork is probly the most risky. Chicken too. Beef and wild fish really is not super risky especially when frozen first so, you raise a good point. The curing agents I'm sure won't kill you however I'm sure their not exactly what you should be eating also. That's where I'm at anyway. Like I said I'm no expert, that's just where I'm at with the hobby

Just started my first pork belly into bacon. Followed the recipe on the video posted to a T, almost. I did not get the cure accelerator😕. Hoping it works without. Dry brine7 days.
I am going to look into the celery extract-nitrite if this batch works out.

i bought the Costco pork belly. Was I suppose to trim fat off? The hide is off and I just cured it as is

Last edited:

Not sure I answered this correctly. Let's say you put cure in there and did not get it to set off on temp, when you cook it, it will turn pink. Let's say you did not use cure, your end product after cooking will not turn pink unless you smoke it for a long time, then it will be a smoke ring.

Not sure I answered this correctly. Let's say you put cure in there and did not get it to set off on temp, when you cook it, it will turn pink. Let's say you did not use cure, your end product after cooking will not turn pink unless you smoke it for a long time, then it will be a smoke ring.
When I cut into one of the slabs just now. The meat in the very center was hot pink and that color was starting to bleed into the fat. Seemed odd.

So I couldn't help but try a slice. Fried it up and as was stated before, it did burn quickly. That aside, I can't say that I love the flavor. Had a very porky flavor, if you know what I mean? It wasn't terrible, it just didn't taste like ****** diner bacon. Wasn't overly sweet, salty or smokey. Pretty balanced actually. I don't know how to feel about this.

When I cut into one of the slabs just now. The meat in the very center was hot pink and that color was starting to bleed into the fat. Seemed odd.

So I couldn't help but try a slice. Fried it up and as was stated before, it did burn quickly. That aside, I can't say that I love the flavor. Had a very porky flavor, if you know what I mean? It wasn't terrible, it just didn't taste like ****** diner bacon. Wasn't overly sweet, salty or smokey. Pretty balanced actually. I don't know how to feel about this.
What was you brine curing process ?

Back