Making Bacon

Love the bacon recipes what about a pork belly recipe,I've only had it once at the Kirin restaurant ,they do a deep fried pork belly that was delicious. I tried an internet recipe but wasn't my favorite.
Try a bbq burnt ends pork belly recipe, cut into cubes

I
Love the bacon recipes what about a pork belly recipe,I've only had it once at the Kirin restaurant ,they do a deep fried pork belly that was delicious. I tried an internet recipe but wasn't my favorite.
I have done this one a couple of times. (Sort of. I use recipies as a guide and free form just about everything) Ihttps://redhousespice.com/red-cooked-pork-belly/

I bought 3 cases (12 bellies) as you get a better deal by the case at costco.. 7.99 a kg and yes its already skinned just open and brine good quailty thick bellies
321296189_491263252898307_4630632377924261109_n.jpg

I bought 3 cases (12 bellies) as you get a better deal by the case at costco.. 7.99 a kg and yes its already skinned just open and brine good quailty thick bellies
321296189_491263252898307_4630632377924261109_n.jpg
What's the consensus on skinning before or after smoking now?

Why? some people i guess like the rind but its really unedible? ive tried it few times, me personally I like things done prior to smoking to me makes a better product. do the work before not later. lol
Further back in the thread @getbent said he liked the way it protects the fat. It's no more work, just at a different stage.

it is once its been smoked and trying to carve it off can be a REAL ***** to do .and you do lose some of that great product the fats the best part LOL
Ah ok that makes sense then. Thanks

Ah. Can anyone help? Is white curing salt the same as the pink stuff?

Smoke won't really penetrate the skin fyi

We just use the Morton brand tender quick stuff. There is nitrite and nitrate. Think there is different concentrations of those in every different kind of cure.

97737699_L.jpg

Water ??? its pretty simple brown suager salt a bit of nitrate you dont have to over think this
Look up len poli the guys a guru and has awesome recipes

Some is. The pink is simply colouring added to avoid confusion with table salt.You have to read the ingredients. I have had curing salt that is white and it’s pretty common.

Water ??? its pretty simple brown suager salt a bit of nitrate you dont have to over think this
Some is. The pink is simply colouring added to avoid confusion with table salt.You have to read the ingredients. I have had curing salt that is white and it’s pretty common
I don't plan on using water but that's the only label this stuff had on it. That and the ingredients which were salt and sodium nitrite. Apparently #1 is only nitrite and #2 is both nitrite and nitrate. The butcher said this is all they use for all of their smoked and cured meat. But they always use a wet brine.

. Apparently #1 is only nitrite and #2 is both nitrite and nitrate.
Well thats not how I understand it cure 1 is for instant cure of procucts like pepperoni ,smokies,summer sausge etc stuff you mix and let sit for a day or few I use it for bacon as thats what the process calls for.I dont use liquid smoke and was taught to skin it before hand as we had tried not skinning and like I said pain in the A$$

Now number 2 is a slow cure for stuff that takes months or years like the dry whole meat chunks like prosciutto,breasola and dry cure salamis that ive been experminting with, its thats a whole differnt ball game where im using a cutlture and incubating and ph levels , and certian molds etc.
I strongly suggest looking at Len polis stuff when I was working for that sausge company we always used him as a referance guide as my collage profesors are all gone now, grad a not paid and start reading its gonna take hours as there is a ton of stuff to learn from him

Really the one you should phone is stuffes in langly they have great knowledge of whats what have helped me out for over 20 years great staff.

Good luck wolf

We use water on say a pork belly or a big hunk of whatever meat if curing. Submerge in brine in fridge. Then smoke, freeze then slice. In that order. Different recipes call for different ingredients obviously but that's the order we use. These just came out today

Resized_20230111_063735001_8188.jpeg

Im sure it all works . but ill be honest only time I use a wet brine is for hams and homemade corned moose brisket and I inject them with my brine , bacon and smoked salmon never, dry brine and as you know after a day turns into a wet brine . I want the flavor of the brine not "watered down brine" if that makes sense

I don't plan on using water but that's the only label this stuff had on it. That and the ingredients which were salt and sodium nitrite. Apparently #1 is only nitrite and #2 is both nitrite and nitrate. The butcher said this is all they use for all of their smoked and cured meat. But they always use a wet brine.
This is correct.
Wolfs reply explains when you would use cure 1 or 2

Back