Made a Halibut Harpoon....

rowdy01

Made a Halibut Harpoon-UPDATED

So I've been planning to do some serious Halibut effort this year and since I do most of my fishing from my kayak, I felt it wise to NOT join the Darwin club. I needed to come up with a "safe" way to land a decent Halibut. I was of two minds, the shark hook technique or the harpoon route. I settled on the harpoon. Problem....fishing from a very low position in relation to the water, I really wasn't going to settle for the standard poon. They were just too long and too expensive. Looking online I decided I could rig one up myself.

DSC_4990.jpg

After a lot of trips back and forth to HD, watching Youtube videos that really were not applicable to my needs, and finally a couple of minor epiphanies, I had the vision of what the final product should look like.

DSC_5002.jpg

I knew that I wasn't going to make the tip, so I coughed up the $20 and ordered off Amazon. It's a Kufa sports detachable head. It came rigged with what appeared to be 500-600lb SS wire....way over kill for anything I'm likely to see in area 18, so I swapped it out for a much more user friendly SS gage.

DSC_4993.jpg

Yes...love the $1.69 pool noodle. Amazing stuff. I slid it over a one inch oak dowel that I got from Lee Valley.

DSC_4994.jpg

I was getting frustrated searching for this SS rod. Finally tried the google and what do ya know. Found a place that will sell 5/16th SS food grade (they were out of marine grade) rods. $12 for 24 inches. A place called "Metal Supermarkets". Great place and they have multiple locations. Super quick and no hassle with the small amount I wanted....win win. I drilled 9 inches into the dowel using incrementally larger bits. Then used a little glue and a hammer. I really don't think it needed the glue with the uber tight fit but just to be save.

I wrapped the shaft in paracord (again...youtube really does come in handy) and attached a small loop of rope. Used approx 8 feet of rope between the buoy and the Kufa head. This seems like a good compromise for kayak needs. Really don't need more rope than is necessary. Again, no Darwin award for me please.

That's about it. Haven't tested it yet. Really don't know for sure if it evan floats. But this is a prototype so I am happy with how it turned out. Gonna likely change up the carabiniere to something a little more user friendly.....still figuring that out. Ideas??

Hope this at least helps someone thinking of doing a project like this. I did this with only a hack saw and an electric hand drill. Put the wire and crimps on at West Marine...just used their bench.

Rod. :cool:

a couple more.....
DSC_4995.jpgDSC_4998.jpgDSC_4997.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4991.jpg
    DSC_4991.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post, I may make one similar for my big boat (if I can ever find the hali).

can you keep a secret?......I got a nice 40 pounder just off Morseby

DSC_2308.jpg

....and a so so Dorado a little further South.....

DSC_4090.jpg

......sorry...could't resist.

Update: I redid the carabiniere as I just wasn't happy with how hard it was to disconnect. I settled on a plastic clip, the same clips that are used on those paracord bracelets.

DSC_5008.jpg

It is now so much easier to disconnect, I am very happy with results now. A mere squeeze and it's good to go.

DSC_5007.jpg

DSC_5005.jpg

The weave is really easy....across....over....under.....and through......repeat on opposite side.

The only refinement I can think of is your harpoon head, make and angled cut so that when you pull your harpoon out the head goes sideways. A 45 degree cut, cut towards the cable side I hope this is as clear as mud.

- cable---->/
<========'========\ <--- cut it there but more of an angle

Last edited by a moderator:
Back