Mackeral

JuandeOne

Just read Milsys comment re: El Nino forecast this year. Was up off Rosa Island last week and caught a mackeral.

Anyone else anywhere caught mackeral this season?

This weekend in Bamfield they were thick from Whittlestone to Bamfield Inlet, for me. Over 30 hooked in a few hours troll. Not too many boats in the area, and somehow my boat seemed like the magnet, boats fishing beside me got none. I hooked'em on bait, rubber and spoons.

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

Just read Milsys comment re: El Nino forecast this year. Was up off Rosa Island last week and caught a mackeral.

Anyone else anywhere caught mackeral this season?

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

Caught 2 at Hoiss in Nootka. (July)

Mackeral have very good culinary surprises. I know they can be a pain, so why not eat them. I think they would make a great fish stew.;) eman

Last time the Mackeral were around I made good use of them in terms of both bait and food. Aside from a few worms in the meat itself ( the wiry coil ones ) they tasted great. Debone and cooked like a cross between hali and chicken. Little lemon and salt did the job over an open flame ( on the grill ) and viola.

Aren't they reproducing and living year round in places like Nootka and Bamfield? I've caught little ones in both places in past years.

I've caught them for years in Nootka and Esperanza including the trip I just returned from. I heard some guys using them with success for halibut.

I've caught them for years in Nootka and Esperanza including the trip I just returned from. I heard some guys using them with success for halibut.

If anyone's coming back from the west coast and catches a bunch of Mackerel perhaps we can make each other happy. If you'd like to convert a dozen or so Mackerel into a dozen beer give me a shout. Not looking like I'm going to make it to the west coast this summer. I wouldn't mind some mackerel for Hali bait to use on the north island in Sept. I live in Vancouver, so give me a shout if you have room in the cooler for some of those pesky Mackerel.

Back