Lumber Prices

I'm not positive but I don't think stumpage fees pertain to privately owned development properties. I believe they apply only to crown land timber cuts. I may be wrong but from what I could find on the government sights that's what I have read so far.
The province will collect fees on private timber. They monitor timber stamps and volumes associated with them that go to a mill. This is why you need to get a timber stamp number and why mill purchases of all wood have to be documented. They don't always go after small volumes, but they can sometimes and it can be a surprise bill many years down the road. Just be aware.

The province will collect fees on private timber. They monitor timber stamps and volumes associated with them that go to a mill. This is why you need to get a timber stamp number and why mill purchases of all wood have to be documented. They don't always go after small volumes, but they can sometimes and it can be a surprise bill many years down the road. Just be aware.
"The province will collect fees on private timber."

Just curious where you saw that information? I've been reading all of the government info about it for a couple weeks now and can't find anything that says there's stumpage on private land timber sales. I'm in the mining industry and when we have crown land mining permits and there are timber sale allowances when clearing land to mine on or for access roads and trails, the miners have to pay stumpage on all of those sales but for example I have a family member that is mining a very old grandfathered in crown grant lease claim where he actually owns a few hectares of the old crown grant lease and has had his homestead on it for over 30 years now and on the land that the timbers were cut on his privately owned portion he was exempt from any stumpage on those but had to pay it on the leased crown land outside those property boundaries. So I'm also going off of that info too. If you have any links to that info I'd appreciate it. Thank you

You can get info on the Gov't of BC website under "Logging Tax". The province can also report this to Revenue Canada for Income Tax purposes. Believe me, that this can happen.

You can get info on the Gov't of BC website under "Logging Tax". The province can also report this to Revenue Canada for Income Tax purposes. Believe me, that this can happen.
That is where I am getting all of the stumpage info from and there is no mention of stumpage on private land sales. If you have a direct link to the mention of private timber stumpage fees I would appreciate it cause I can't see a thing. All of it specifically states "crown land timber".

Yes we are doing the subdivision all on the books and yes all of the income from all of it is taxable including any timber sales.

That is where I am getting all of the stumpage info from and there is no mention of stumpage on private land sales. If you have a direct link to the mention of private timber stumpage fees I would appreciate it cause I can't see a thing. All of it specifically states "crown land timber".

Yes we are doing the subdivision all on the books and yes all of the income from all of it is taxable including any timber sales.

"Logging tax applies to individuals or corporations that have income from logging operations on private or Crown land in B.C."

"Logging tax applies to individuals or corporations that have income from logging operations on private or Crown land in B.C."
Yes that is a regular kind of income tax. It just falls under their government logging catagory for personal income taxes. No different really from selling any good/service and paying income tax on it. It's the governements way of record keeping for taxes (not stumpage) on the logging industry. When I discussed the subdivision with my business accountant that's all he said would be required as a tax on us clearing and selling the timber on our property. I asked him about the stumpage fees and he's the one that sent me the government links to look over to see that they don't mention private land at all. It's not a double tax. Once it's paid as a logging income tax, the seller is not double taxed as regular income also.
As it states in the act: "The amount of logging tax you've paid is usually fully deductible as a credit against your income taxes if you make a claim within three years of filing your federal income tax return. Contact the Canada Revenue Agency for information on how to claim the logging tax credit.

For stumpage fees it only states crown land timber sales: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/natural-resource-taxes/forestry/stumpage

For logging tax (similar to as if you were selling any goods for personal income tax income): https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/natural-resource-taxes/forestry/logging-tax.

Last edited:

I live in the Interior and this happened to a good friend of mine that was clearing 2 acres of property to build on. Really big bill 2-3 years after the logging was done and all revenue was added to personal income tax. Surprise!! Anyway, this is real. Just trying to help. Not into arguing online.

I live in the Interior and this happened to a good friend of mine that was clearing 2 acres of property to build on. Really big bill 2-3 years after the logging was done and all revenue was added to personal income tax. Surprise!! Anyway, this is real. Just trying to help. Not into arguing online.
No worries, no arguing here. Just want to sort out the information and the difference between the stumpage and logging tax.

Yes, the logging tax is a separate tax but it's completely 100% deductible from personal income tax for that exact reason so that the person isn't double taxed. Your friend would have been able to claim that as deducted so he wasn't double taxed. I cleared that up with my accountant and he pointed it out to me from the government tax act. It's also written out here in this link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/natural-resource-taxes/forestry/logging-tax

Here is the wording from the logging tax about that: "The amount of logging tax you've paid is usually fully deductible as a credit against your income taxes if you make a claim within three years of filing your federal income tax return. Contact the Canada Revenue Agency for information on how to claim the logging tax credit."

If your friend didn't claim the credit within the three year allowance then he may have lost his opportunity to do so and may have gotten double taxed.

Sounds like you have this all pegged. Originally, I thought you may not have this all in place and was trying to help. Some people think they can get a timber mark and sell logs to the mill and that's it. Free money. 2-3 years later big surprise. 10% tax on all timber revenue. No record of costs etc. Income tax on the revenue less Logging Tax paid with no way to prove costs. Too late for credits. Reassessment and penalties on Income tax. Bigger surprise. Not a pleasant one.

Sounds like you have this all pegged. Originally, I thought you may not have this all in place and was trying to help. Some people think they can get a timber mark and sell logs to the mill and that's it. Free money. 2-3 years later big surprise. 10% tax on all timber revenue. No record of costs etc. Income tax on the revenue less Logging Tax paid with no way to prove costs. Too late for credits. Reassessment and penalties on Income tax. Bigger surprise. Not a pleasant one.
Well the paperwork government stuff I'm not too concerned with cause I've been self employed both as corporate and sole proprietor for quite awhile and am pretty used to all the government red tape stuff. Especially in the mining industry. It's turned into a red tape **** show. Any of the tax stuff I don't know about my accountant takes care of all of that stuff.

But yes, I do need help with advice as to how to make the most $ from the timber on my property. The only experience I have with that is in mining and we didn't handle that on our own. We just hired someone to do all of that part and after all of the costs associated we made a little profit, enough to cover the cost of putting the access roads in etc. I know there's quite a few different avenues a person can take with selling the timber that's why I was asking for advice with that. Some great input by you all and I really appreciate it. I now have a few leads on different ways I can do it.

Went to Standard Building last to week to pick up some plywood and 2x4's to build some shelving for my garage.
I had a number of 5-6 hundo in my head..... HA! That was a laugh!

6 sheets 1/2" std fir plywood 54.26 per sheet $ 325
44 pcs 2x4x8' kd spf 1557.00 mbf $ 365
10 pcs 2x4x 12' kd spf 1700.00 mbf $136
4 pounds screws 5.00/lb $20

sub total $847

TAX $101

Grand Total $948 OUCH!!

And I know I will be needing more stuff!!

I'm not positive but I don't think stumpage fees pertain to privately owned development properties. I believe they apply only to crown land timber cuts. I may be wrong but from what I could find on the government sights that's what I have read so far.
You will have to pay the provincial logging tax https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/natural-resource-taxes/forestry/logging-tax https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/natural-resource-taxes/forestry/logging-tax/file-pay
There is a personal deduction against your income tax, I forget what it was for me but it wasn't 100%

Last edited:
@Chasin' Dreams Im a construction estimator/project manager in the metro van area. There's usually more to clearing than just the trees. You'll have a lot of misc. green waste that needs to be disposed of. Then there is grubbing to remove all the roots. The local clearing contractors will take the timber value into account when quoting the job to us and credit against the other work that needs to be done. If timber value on a site is high, we can even see negative quotes, theyll pay us to do the job. If you take away all the value and just leave the grinding and grubbing, youll end up paying more for those things. For us, its just easier to let them take care of it all and get a cheaper clearing and grubbing price.

@Chasin' Dreams Im a construction estimator/project manager in the metro van area. There's usually more to clearing than just the trees. You'll have a lot of misc. green waste that needs to be disposed of. Then there is grubbing to remove all the roots. The local clearing contractors will take the timber value into account when quoting the job to us and credit against the other work that needs to be done. If timber value on a site is high, we can even see negative quotes, theyll pay us to do the job. If you take away all the value and just leave the grinding and grubbing, youll end up paying more for those things. For us, its just easier to let them take care of it all and get a cheaper clearing and grubbing price.
Thank you for the info. I have heavy equipment; excavators, dozer, loader, tractor trailers, etc so I think I'll be ok doing the rest of the clearing after the trees are felled. The subdivided property will be adjacent to the rest of our existing acereage so we can store and burn roots, excess wood and green waste on the other land while the developing is going on on the subdivided property.

sent the wife to home depot today so i can frame up some planters. told her to grab 2x3’s cause they are cheaper and it won’t matter cause no one will see them. 6 - 2x3’s were $50.00

Attachments

• F7587006-3B8A-4CE7-9EA8-C152D3C56733.jpeg
    F7587006-3B8A-4CE7-9EA8-C152D3C56733.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 42
Thank you for the info. I have heavy equipment; excavators, dozer, loader, tractor trailers, etc so I think I'll be ok doing the rest of the clearing after the trees are felled. The subdivided property will be adjacent to the rest of our existing acereage so we can store and burn roots, excess wood and green waste on the other land while the developing is going on on the subdivided property.
Have fun burning the land clearing debris. Piles must be 500 meters from your neighbours and have to sit for 4 months to season and then tested with a moisture meter. Then you will probably have to wait another month or two to get a suitable ventilation forecast.

These new rules have pretty much ended all land clearing fires for us.

Have fun burning the land clearing debris. Piles must be 500 meters from your neighbours and have to sit for 4 months to season and then tested with a moisture meter. Then you will probably have to wait another month or two to get a suitable ventilation forecast.

These new rules have pretty much ended all land clearing fires for us.
Where is this?

Back