Lumber Prices

I did the unthinkable last week, tore up a contract and issued a revised *lower* quote for an upcoming foundation and frame. Homeowners hadn't asked but my conscience got the better of me. 2x6x10s were a sickening $32 apiece when I priced it in June, now they're down around $10 again. 1/2" ply from $75 down to under $30. Clients were VERY happy.
good man! I'll bet you'll get a lot of spin off business from that .

Aggregates are still cheap. Do some landscaping work and it will give you a big bang for the buck in value to your house.
where do you recommend for buying aggregates in the lower mainland, I need to do a few small retaining walls and 1 about 30 ft x 3.5ft, they are presently landscape ties that need to be replaced.

1/2” fir standard. It pays to shop around. Have noticed that Slegg has been higher on their lumber pricing for us.
True dat. I work for a large residential builder and on many things I can walk into Lowe’s and buy off the shelf cheaper than our contractor pricing at Slegg. Some things are much cheaper to order out of Vancouver and ship here on the island (cedar fence panels for example)

True dat. I work for a large residential builder and on many things I can walk into Lowe’s and buy off the shelf cheaper than our contractor pricing at Slegg. Some things are much cheaper to order out of Vancouver and ship here on the island (cedar fence panels for example)

yeah pretty retarded considering it probably came milled from Vancouver island

If you are looking for good quality lumber or have logs that you would like milled check out Vancouver Island Custom Cutting.
My mill is portable and I sell lumber at prices way below stores and much better quality.
I cut any sizes you need up to 20" x 20" x 21' and logs up to 42" diameter
Steve 250-650-4561

If you are looking for good quality lumber or have logs that you would like milled check out Vancouver Island Custom Cutting.
My mill is portable and I sell lumber at prices way below stores and much better quality.
I cut any sizes you need up to 20" x 20" x 21' and logs up to 42" diameter
Steve 250-650-4561
Phone call coming soon!

My lumber prices are falling drastically. Finally got the little mill up and running. Just sawing up some odd sized trees I have laying around from some previous falling I did. Once the weather cools I’ll get into some better trees and wood.

51414694530_90e4e6bb10_o.jpg
[/url]
51414464289_2f1fb087cd_o.jpg

Lots of lumber on my place, just have to go get it.
51414694510_1894466cc2_o.jpg

My lumber prices are falling drastically. Finally got the little mill up and running. Just sawing up some odd sized trees I have laying around from some previous falling I did. Once the weather cools I’ll get into some better trees and wood.

[/url]

Pretty Cool! Looks like at beautiful property

[/url]

How do you like the mill so far? I had to quit using mine as it's so dry here.
I see you have built yours on a platform with a plank to walk on. How do you find working the crank?

Where do you guys get your best price on lumber in the SVI area? I will say home lumber consistently beats slegg, but on my current build HL couldn’t take on the I joists or LVL’s which was a big part of the framing package so I went with slegg.

In Nanaimo. We use the truss company for all the engineered lumber. So for the rest we shop around. For the last few projects Windsor Plywood has been the best. But I check Rona and Homedepot for prices always.

Where do you guys get your best price on lumber in the SVI area? I will say home lumber consistently beats slegg, but on my current build HL couldn’t take on the I joists or LVL’s which was a big part of the framing package so I went with slegg.
A good truss/engineered wood spec guy makes a huge difference. I know I pay more for lumber sometimes at my local, but the big box competition have NFI about the truss and joist side of things. The money and time wasted due to incorrect EWP spec would eat up any savings in a heartbeat.

How do you like the mill so far? I had to quit using mine as it's so dry here.
I see you have built yours on a platform with a plank to walk on. How do you find working the crank?
It’s fun, I enjoy it. Had to go through some junk trees I had, lots of rot and waste in it. But once I got into some nicer logs I had it went a lot better. I kind of screwed up and built it a bit high off the ground hence the walk way along the side in order I can reach the crank. I was looking at the web site and they make a crank extension that lowers it so I think I’m going to order that. I added an aluminum yard stick to the measuring system along the side, it’s bolted to the plate they have their weird measuring system on. It’s set at the proper cut height. So now when it says 6” it’s a 6” cut, lower it 2” it’s now at 4” and so on. Now I don’t have to use a measuring tape on my cants it is what is reads. Also looking at adapting an electric motor system to it ti speed up the process. That will be a winter project. Also I am going to make and add a couple more log clamps. I am having an issue with the cants rolling slightly as I am sawing down the cant. Which in turn gives me slightly crooked boards. That's not a big deal to build will get at those soon.

For now I’m out of logs so next time I’m home it’s logging operations, going to try some nice White Aspen logs as well.

It’s fun, I enjoy it. Had to go through some junk trees I had, lots of rot and waste in it. But once I got into some nicer logs I had it went a lot better. I kind of screwed up and built it a bit high off the ground hence the walk way along the side in order I can reach the crank. I was looking at the web site and they make a crank extension that lowers it so I think I’m going to order that. I added an aluminum yard stick to the measuring system along the side, it’s bolted to the plate they have their weird measuring system on. It’s set at the proper cut height. So now when it says 6” it’s a 6” cut, lower it 2” it’s now at 4” and so on. Now I don’t have to use a measuring tape on my cants it is what is reads. Also looking at adapting an electric motor system to it ti speed up the process. That will be a winter project. Also I am going to make and add a couple more log clamps. I am having an issue with the cants rolling slightly as I am sawing down the cant. Which in turn gives me slightly crooked boards. That's not a big deal to build will get at those soon.

For now I’m out of logs so next time I’m home it’s logging operations, going to try some nice White Aspen logs as well.
I've done similar things with my measuring stick. I have it marked in: inches, inch and a half and 3/4 inch increments. I plan on using my impact drill to do the cranking. It takes a million cranks to get to the top of a 32" log. My buddy has a Norwood, it's an inch per crank, to do an inch and a half cut on mine is seven cranks

Back