Lowrance GPS Draining Battery while OFF?

Sushihunter

Here's an interesting problem for all of you:

I have a Lowrance GPS unit mounted in my truck. About 2 years ago, my mechanic told me that my battery was weak and should be replaced. I didn't replace it, it always started provided I didn't do something like leave the dome light on while parked. I did a couple of times and it killed the battery but recharging always brought it back until recently. It died to the point where charging would not bring it back.

Truck has been parked since June and only started occassionally to warm it up and keep the motor in good shape. If it didn't get started every other day, I would have to put the charger on it for several hours. Finally, it wouldn't start no matter how long the charger was on.

Went out and got a 800 CCA Diehard Battery which I charged for a couple of hours to bring it up to peak and then installed it.

Truck started without any problems. I thought that things were back to normal.

I went out to start after it had sat for a week and it would not start! I put the charger on for a couple of hours and it started no problem.

I was walking past the truck the other night and noticed that the GPS was ON. I had not turned it on. I turned it off and plugged in the charger.

Now, I have noticed the GPS on a few times now. It is usually flickering and trying to display the map.

Questions:

1- Is the unit turning itself on somehow? Low voltage turning it on?

2- Is the Antenna constantly powered even if the GPS is turned off?

3- Do I need to wire a kill switch into the power wire for the antenna?

I am also wondering if this may have been killing the boat battery as well.

Comments, ideas?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:2- Is the Antenna constantly powered even if the GPS is turned off?

3- Do I need to wire a kill switch into the power wire for the antenna?

Answer to both is "Yes"

However since my Lowrance 525C DF GPS module crapped out AGAIN today, I would suggest getting a Garmin :(

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Both myself and neighbour had the same problem with a Lowrance 3300 unit. They were turning themselves on. Eventually had to install a battery switch. Crazy units! Although the power drain is minimal it will eventually deplete your battery.

Back