looking for large marine cooler

Daveroo

I am looking for a basic large marine cooler, around the 150 quart size. In the US I see places like Walmart and Target selling the Coleman and Igloo ones for under $100. I am having trouble finding them in Canada. The Canadian versions of these stores don't carry them. The only ones I found are the Coleman ones at Cdn Tire for $200. I am not going to spend money on the expensive Yeti because it is not going to be used that often. Anyone know where I can get one without driving to the states? I rather spend the money here but I am not willing to pay over double the price to do so.

Daveroo

Just called Costco, they are all out in the lower mainland, and the only store which showed saleable inventory in their computer could not locate the actual product in the store anywhere. Oh well road trip I guess. Thanks for the heads up FA and CCB.

there was an interesting comparison done between the really expensive brands and the coleman 'expedition'. turns out the coleman was better at keeping ice frozen than the yeti and several other really expensive coolers.

Just bought the marine one from Canadian tire 150 qt for $99. Had to google the sale and get them to extend the sale price for us. Have another one we bought at cost co a few years back, they are a good product at a good price but hard to find one this time of year.

Pm me if you want the costco igloo one. i have one sitting in my driveway for two years and it has never been used.
Victoria area

JL

Well I got the Coleman at CT for their $99 sale price. Their sale is over, but they provide price protection for a couple of weeks after the sale ends, so they will honour the sale price still, you just have to get a manager's approval for the price adjustment.

Just got to make sure I fill it up on my upcoming trip to WCVI. I have never fished WCVI, I can't wait!

Daveroo

In my experience, I prefer the coolers where the lid is not too thick, otherwise it's a pain in the arse to open the lid when the cooler is against a wall.

I have a slightly different one that I got from Costco last year. Has wheels on one end and an extendable handle for rolling it around. Love it! A big cooler is great, but not if you can't move it. Have not seen them there since last year however.

In my experience, I prefer the coolers where the lid is not too thick, otherwise it's a pain in the arse to open the lid when the cooler is against a wall.

I also agree, the other problem with the taller coolers is when your packing a bunch in the back of your truck and you have a canopy. When you have a standard canopy you can't stack taller or the thick lid coolers. You can stack the coleman's.

Which do people think is better, Coleman or Igloo?

I've got three Colemans and two Igloos. Both are comparable with each other when it comes to keeping the ice, however when
I needed new hinges for my Coleman I couldn't get anything in Nanaimo. I phoned around Victoria and still had no success. I ended up getting them from the USA off Ebay. I have no problem getting parts for my Igloos locally.
Dave

Back