Lightest 30hp outboard?

albravo2

Hi all, first post here.

I live in Squamish and have fished rivers for many years but am just starting to explore the fishing opportunities in the ocean. I recently purchased a JP Marine 12'5" inflatable with an aluminum floor from Inlet Marine in Port Moody. I plan to put a jet on it eventually for rivers but for now I'm just using it to bomb around the sound fishing and crabbing.

The boat is awesome, but the 1992 40hp Tohatsu 2 stroke that I put on it is too heavy for easy assembly and the handling isn't great. I don't have a scale but I'm guessing the weight at around 200lbs.

I've been trying to research the lightest older 30hp motors but it is hard to find stats on non-current model years. I don't mind two strokes but it seems that four strokes have come a long way in weight reduction lately so I'm open to suggestions in either category.

Light, reliable used 30hp recommendations anyone?

Thanks!

Your 1992 Tohatsu 40hp weighs between 130-152lbs depending upon model so you're not really saving much weight going to a 30hp.

A good option would be to look for a Johnson or Evinrude 30hp from the 90's. They weigh between 115-125lbs depending upon model. Excellent motors that are reliable if they have been properly maintained. The 30hp Tohatsu motors from 1992 were only around 100lbs but will be far less common than the Johnson / Evinrudes.

You're not going to see any significant weight savings until you get down to the 15hp two strokes. Then you can find some mid-nineties around 75lbs.

For reference a 4-stroke 30hp (2013 yamaha) weighs over 200lbs.

My old aluminum had a 199? oil injected 30hp Yamaha. It seemed too heavy to take on and off. I think you will have to go to even less HP if you want more mobility. For stats on old stuff try the NADA website.

Buy a trailer and go bigger. Super easy to move around then and you don't have to deal with setting up and taking down. If this is an option for you.

very helpful, thanks all. from the nada website it looks like mine weighs 152 lbs. guess i'm getting old. sure feels like 200+

i'll keep my eyes out for a Johnson/Evinrude 30 but in the meantime i'll work a bit more on setting it up correctly to improve the handling handling characteristics. i've been leaving it in the water down at the Squamish harbour, so the on/off isn't a huge deal.

Make sure that jetboats are legal on the Squamish syatem now. There was talk of banning them a few years ago and i lost track as i don't fish up there anymore.

today i made adjustments to the mounting angle to get the nose up a bit higher and i also adjusted the trim disc (just above the prop) to correct for the tendency to turn to starboard and the boat is handling much better. i'll still keep my eye out for a 30, but it feels much more driveable now.

When I bought my Merc EFI 30hp 4-stroke I considered the weight.....as I recall it was about the lightest out there in 30 horse 4 strokes.

Yes....all Mercs 30 horse and under and some of the Merc kickers are built in the Tohatsu plant to Merc specs for Merc.

The Tohatsu line of engines themselves is a different design though I believe......

Even though the Mercs 30 and under are built in the Tohatsu plant......I think they are a better engine than the actual Tohatsu line of outboards, which are noted for being noisy among other things. The 30 Merc EFI is pretty quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back