Life after Chinook: a West Coast fishing community looks to reinvent itself

IronNoggin

“The trust with DFO has been broken,” says Dan Quigley, a Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce director who has been fishing in the area for 40 years. “We had hoped to build some alliances, but they stomped all over that and the communications have not been good.”

“We are the low-hanging fruit with government making it look good for the general public,” says Wells, pointing out that, when thousands of SNC-Lavalin jobs were at stake in Quebec, the federal government was anxious to take action, but DFO appears unwilling to save fishing jobs in B.C.

https://thenarwhal.ca/life-after-chinook-a-west-coast-fishing-community-looks-to-reinvent-itself

Port Renfrew is but one of many Coastal Communities facing disaster directly due to Wilkinson's heavy handed political decisions, and his government's refusal to do anything for those affected. Shameful!!

Taylor an ex commercial industry person.

“The science is provided by DFO based on DNA. [Charter boat operators] actually have a significant impact on the stocks of concern — the spring and summer chinook that are endangered — when those fish are migrating through their fishery,” says Taylor, who spent 30 years in the commercial fishing industry and is a member of the marine conservation caucus, a group of nine conservation organizations mandated to provide advice to DFO.

“They are intercepting a significant proportion of those fish that are passing through in the months of May, June and July,” he says.

An added concern is the mortality rate of fish that are caught and released. While DFO estimates that 15 per cent do not survive, a recently released paper puts the mortality rates much higher, Taylor says, adding he would like to see a complete closure of chinook fishing during the critical months

There are conservation benefits to hatcheries, but, if you are just putting those fish out there to catch, it’s not providing a conservation benefit, it’s providing a fishing benefit that might be detrimental,” Hill says.

What happened to this group last few years? Lost it's way.

Taylor an ex commercial industry person.

“The science is provided by DFO based on DNA. [Charter boat operators] actually have a significant impact on the stocks of concern — the spring and summer chinook that are endangered — when those fish are migrating through their fishery,” says Taylor, who spent 30 years in the commercial fishing industry and is a member of the marine conservation caucus, a group of nine conservation organizations mandated to provide advice to DFO.

“They are intercepting a significant proportion of those fish that are passing through in the months of May, June and July,” he says.

An added concern is the mortality rate of fish that are caught and released. While DFO estimates that 15 per cent do not survive, a recently released paper puts the mortality rates much higher, Taylor says, adding he would like to see a complete closure of chinook fishing during the critical months

Yes but he made the paper? That is his company as the author?

Thanks for posting this up Matt. I get a laugh out of the pure bs spewed by some, ceremonial fishery for fn's ie a death in the community, must be a lot of deaths lately for the amount of the openings, and stating fishing by hand lines, so i guess all the gill nets i am seeing are not fishing for springs. Another point about intercepting the fraser runs, the numbers are submitted for all 12 months so the average numbers are lower when we should just be looking at the peak months, i can't wrap my head around the math on that one. Folks keep calling your local govt reps, email them, remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease, it will be death by a thousand cuts

Back