Fishery closures proposed to save West Coast orcas!

Whole in the Water

Article from today's Times Colonist. It is a very real possibility that the South Vancouver Island (SVI) area may face fisheries closures to protect orca food (i.e chinook salmon). While the total amount of fish caught by rec fishers is very small compared to the 500,000+ lbs of salmon the orcas are estimated to need to eat.

Something needs to be done to protect the endangered orcas, but it must be a well thought out and balanced approach that involves ALL the factors to the orcas declining population. IMO we need to be part of the solution by putting more fish in the water for orcas to eat.

The long term solution IMO is to increase chinook numbers from the Fraser River, something that DFO has done nothing about over the decades. Now is the time to do it, not just issue more fishery closures and fight over the declining numbers of chinook while the orcas starve.

Fishery closures will not help the salmon shortage problem much as SVI anglers only catch 1-2% of chinook in question. However, rec. fishing is an easy target to pick on and one can easily imagine DFO enacting fishery closures if there is not strong stakeholder and public opposition to it.

Now is the time (i.e. June 15-Aug 14 public consultation period), to voice concerns regarding fishery closures and the negative impact that will have on our local economy!

Here is the link to the public consultation section to provide your comments: http://www.registrelep-sararegistry.gc.ca/document/default_e.cfm?documentID=2944

Also please come out on Tuesday, July 12, 7-9 pm to the Sooke Community Hall, on 2037 Shields Rd, to hear about a plan to increase the number of chinook in the Sooke area to provide food for endangered orcas.

TAMSYN BURGMANN / THE CANADIAN PRESS JULY 4, 2016 04:35 AM

VANCOUVER - Strategic fishery closures and marine habitat protection are part of a proposed plan by the federal government to protect the threatened killer whales off Canada's West Coast.

The recovery plan for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whale population has been set out online by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans with a 60-day public comment period.

The document makes 94 recommendations to help the two distinct whale populations that eat only fish.

The Northern Residents are listed as threatened in Canada, while the United States has declared its Southern Resident population endangered.

The whales are considered at risk because of their small population, low reproductive rate and numerous human-caused threats that could prevent recovery or cause further declines, says the report.

"Even under the most optimistic scenario ... the species' low intrinsic growth rate means that the time frame for recovery will be more than one generation."

A team of experts from the federal Fisheries Department, Parks Canada, the Vancouver Aquarium and the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration in the United States developed the plan between 2011 and 2014.

Its members found that key threats to recovery include reductions in the availability and quality of prey, or salmon, environmental contamination and physical and acoustic disturbances.

Every year there is tussle over the division of the West Coast salmon fishery between First Nation, commercial and recreational fishermen, and up until this report, killer whales haven't been factored into the equation.

The population of Southern Killer Whales declined three per cent a year from 1995 to 2001, and has shown little recovery since then, the plan says. Just 77 southern whales were counted in 2014.

The Northern Killer Whales population plummeted at a rate of seven per cent each year between 1997 and 2001. But it grew from 219 whales in 2004 to upward of 280 whales in 2014.

The proposed recovery plan recommends the Department of Fisheries undertake several measures that would ensure whales have a large enough food supply to promote recovery.

It says chinook and chum salmon appear to be the whales' main prey during the summer and fall, but little is known about their diet during the other seasons.

"The lack of information about winter diet and distribution ... is a major knowledge gap that impedes our understanding of the principal threats facing the population," says the proposed plan.

One specific recommendation, marked as a high priority for the next five years, urges the department to "investigate strategic fishery closures as a possible tool" to reduce the whales' prey competition in specific feeding areas.

It also recommends the department investigate implementing "protected areas and fishery closures as tools to protect important foraging and beach-rubbing locations." The Robson Bight Ecological Reserve is a well-known spot where the whales rub their bodies on the rocky shore, but such behaviour has been recorded at several other beaches on Vancouver Island.

The proposals also suggest more general measures to protect whale prey from "exploitation and degradation," including preserving the freshwater habitat where those fish live. It urges the continued support of wild salmon policy and salmon recovery plans.

Other broad objectives include ensuring that human activities and chemical and biological pollutants don't prevent the recovery of whale populations.

Some high-priority measures to meet those goals include monitoring the long-term threats of climate change and El Nino, and working with National Defence to reduce whales' exposure to "high intensity underwater sound from military operations."

The plan says its recommendations are "highly likely to benefit" the other two types of whales that live in Canadian Pacific waters, the transient or Bigg's and Offshore Killer Whales.

— Follow @TamsynBurgmann on Twitter

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/life/i...st-coast-orcas-1.2289936#sthash.b2HUk40A.dpuf

Last edited:
Yes because the dozens of "whale watching" boats chasing them all day have nothing to do with it at all. Oh and the commercial harvest no nothing there either. No special interest groups at play here at all. Move on nothing to see.....

Here's my take. How can you take this government seriously? Repealing of Harper for stripping of protection of all waterways and streams that support salmon has not changed. Justin gets in there with huge promises and basically lies to get into office. I saw this first hand on Vancouver island with a salmon enhancement project. The spawning grounds are not protected and that should worry a lot of you.

DFO in Ottawa through this new government and old has no interest in dumping money into enhancement. If they do they want all of us to come up with money and time to do it for them. They are lucky there are many of us that are volunteering or helping raise money to keep hatcheries going. We dont ask to be paid. We ask for nothing. Our only wish is that our kids and next generations can have something we all enjoyed.

Yes there are problems with whales but why cant the department be proactive time instead of reactive? It's not like this decline of fish wasn't known 10 years ago. Start dumping money into fraser and put the wild vs hatchery debate aside. Place protection on the river and repair damage to waterways. Until then it's going to be more studies of what is obvious and more fish closures.

This is another conservation lobbyist stirring the pot and I sense other motives here. The timing also seems interesting. Unfortunately the rec fishers are just an easy group to go after. If we don't band together with other organizations this will be very bad for our fishery.

Last edited:
The purpose of my post is not to debate the merits of various studies or attribute blame to various fishing sectors, but to let concerned anglers know that NOW (June 15- Aug. 14) is the time to provide their comments to the Federal Govt. regarding their plans to protect endangered orcas. They are proposing fishery closures that WILL impact anglers if enacted. We as a sector need to get focused on the priority issue which is to let the Feds know that fishery closures are not a good solution to this problem for reasons mentioned above and others.

Here's a thought, if they close fishing for salmon I wonder would they reimburse the people affected their licensing fee? Now stop laughing! LOL One of the major problems with the DFO is their mandate is to sell fish not save fish, it took myself many years to figure that out as a long time SALMON ENHANCEMENT volunteer that the whole time we were being HUCK FINNED. Come on, see how much fun it is to white wash the fence. I agree with "SpringVelocity" the rivers spawning grounds need to be rehabilitated and it can be done and just think of it if the spawning ground start producing like they should be we wouldn't need hatcheries or the DFO employee's that man these hatcheries or the DFO employee's that are doing studies to see what the heck is going on with are endangered ORCAS there might be some DFO officer's out policing are fishing regulations. I'v been fishing in the georgia strait for forty years and I been checked twice and one of those times I was actually at Bamfield.

Anyone who wants to hear about the South Vancouver Island Anglers approved project to raise 200,000 Chinook next spring in the Sooke Harbour for our resident killer whales is invited to attend a town hall meeting. Tuesday July 12th at 7pm at the Sooke Community Hall, downstairs in the dining room. The door is opposite the Legion. Here is a story that aired today on Chek 6 Proceeds from the tournament are being directed to this project.
http://www.cheknews.ca/hatching-plan-fatten-southern-resident-orcas-196242/

If you think that fixing up some river habitat and then leaving them alone will bring more salmon back you are a dreamer. Especially anywhere near any human activities if not enhanced salmon will dwindle. Face it, if we want to catch salmon on vancouver island, lower mainland or sunshine coast we will always have to supplement nature because nature is not original anymore and all our inevitable impacts on those salmon can never be fully compensated by nature anymore. We're just too many with way too much impact. Obviously habitat restoration as much as still possible is also very important to squeeze out of nature every wild salmon possible. But this alone will not save them.

Here's a thought, if they close fishing for salmon I wonder would they reimburse the people affected their licensing fee? Now stop laughing! LOL One of the major problems with the DFO is their mandate is to sell fish not save fish, it took myself many years to figure that out as a long time SALMON ENHANCEMENT volunteer that the whole time we were being HUCK FINNED. Come on, see how much fun it is to white wash the fence. I agree with "SpringVelocity" the rivers spawning grounds need to be rehabilitated and it can be done and just think of it if the spawning ground start producing like they should be we wouldn't need hatcheries or the DFO employee's that man these hatcheries or the DFO employee's that are doing studies to see what the heck is going on with are endangered ORCAS there might be some DFO officer's out policing are fishing regulations. I'v been fishing in the georgia strait for forty years and I been checked twice and one of those times I was actually at Bamfield.

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the whale watching companies be the ones funding raising food for the whales they harass all year. Sport fishers are only taking 2% of the Salmon in this whale feeding corridor. But sport fishers are supposed to pay to pump up the forage base of the whales. How about the commercial operations that make a profit off the harvesting and sale of Salmon, and whale harassing outfits pay a tax to fund rehabilitation of the Salmon stocks for the whales. Seems like BC residents pay green taxes on everything these days. How about the actual user groups creating the issue start paying their fair share of green tax to correct the issues they create. Seems too simple I guess, that would never happen.

I guess my question might be, are the other user groups providing 98% of the funding. Once the project reaches its required funding level, who is going to staff the project. I'm guessing it will be volunteer anglers doing all the heavy lifting as usual. Really sports fishers don't even take a measly 2% of the orcas forage in that corridor, because the report says their diet consists mostly of Chinook and Chum Salmon. The sports fleet takes virtually none of the Chum harvest in that area. The Chum are almost totally harvested by the other user groups. So if you actually calculated what percentage of the Orcas diet was going to anglers it would be more like a grain of sand in the bucket.

What I'm saying is, we are beat upside the head with green initiatives everyday. It's about time there was a green tax on the user groups creating this issue. The feds don't have funding, fine make the groups profiting financially from the use of the resource pay to support it. Give them a green tax, then use that money to rebuild stocks.

Maybe we are handling this all wrong as anglers on most issues. All it ever comes off as is that we are squabbling for a bigger piece of an ever shrinking pie. Maybe the only way we win public support is to champion a new green initiative to fund our threatened stocks. Get people behind that and the Govt would have to follow. I have no problem paying a surtax on my licence to fund rebuilding projects to rebuild stocks, as long as the green tax is being paid in proportion to our take. The other user groups should be paying the huge majority of this cost as they are the ones taking the Lions share of the harvest.

Last edited:
Yes the whale watchers have and are donating larger amounts to the PSF and have offered their members as volunteers to do what ever jobs are required. We hope local anglers will do the same.

Big guy...if you wait for evryone else to do the work you will die never seeing it done and you can expect to sell your boat and give up on fishing for lack of opportunity. Declining stocks? Yes!! Are we going to sit on our asses and watch it continue? No!! A small group of dedicated individuals over the last 3 years have gotten past the political hurdles and have this project to the action stage...now is not a time for bickering...now is the time for doing!!!! Get involved or just show support. The volunteers are excited to have this where we are and any negativity from our own group is demoralizing.

Sorry to seem negative. I support the cause of raising the abundance of stocks. I just find it very disgusting that the user group that has the least impact on stock are always the ones having to do the govts job.

I will bring it up on a separate thread. I'm serious, a green tax is the way to get financial support for these kinds of projects. Stream reclamation, hatcheries, enforcement, landing oversite and many other needed things are all critically underfunded. The only way to get the public and govt on board for the needed cash injections is a sustainable oceans green tax.

Tax any group taking a toll on our oceans resources. That means fish farms, harvesters and consumers. Tax the herring and anchovy fishery depleting the Salmons forage base. That means for both the harvesters and the purchasers of the packaged products. Tax the harvesters of prawns and crabs, and the consumers as well. That would at least get some cash back from all the illegally harvested seafood that is sold in restaurants. I'm talking about an all encompassing green tax to fund ocean revitalization by the harvesters and consumers that are depleting our oceans resources.

Kelp harvested for the roe and sent to Japan, tax it. Herring harvested for their roe and sent to Japan. Tax it. Everything coming out of the ocean should be taxed, so that serious money can be raised to fund all revitalization and enhancement projects.

This is something that all our various sport fishing organizations need to consider. With the cash generated from such a green tax, many of our current issues could be turned around. Sportfishing is always going to get the least amount of allocation from the feds. The only way to make things equitable is that the user groups that take the most from the ocean pay a tax to enhance the oceans sustainability. It should not be on the sport fisherman to correct all the other user groups unsustainable over harvesting.

The time is right too make a push for a green initiative to make the users of the oceans resources pay to revitalize it, that goes for polluters as well.

I applaud you for your efforts. I just think the time has come to think more big picture. I think all our various sport fishing organizations need to consider changing their focus. Get the public behind a green initiative like this and there might actually be hope for our resources. Without something like this, our pastime, the salmon (and many other species) days are numbered.

Good on you for trying to help. I wish you well. I just think band aid solutions are not going to fix things in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
BOYS, BOYS, BOYS!!! (AND GIRLS BY THE WAY!!)

The fish eating Orcas are the resident pods, which are in the area all year.

The Chinook Salmon that need to be enhanced are the Chinook RESIDENT POPULATION that stay and feed in the area ALL YEAR.

The fact is that most Salmon migrate north to feed as there is no herring numbers to keep them in the area, and the water temperatures in the Salich Sea (Juan De Fuca Straight) is high in the summers.

When the Chinooks migrate back there is plenty of feed for the resident pods. Its the rest of the year that is the problem.

No amount of hatcheries, spawning ground protection, or other good intentions is going to matter if there are no resident Chinooks all year for the Orcas to feed on.

The fact is that the salmon wars of the early 1990's and the collapse of the inside herring stocks from the roe fishery have resulted in few resident Chinooks. The inside waters have also warmed over a period as well. How many remember the "blueback" summer coho fishery or the Brentwood Bay coho fishery, or the Comox Harbour winter spring fishery? That has all been lost. There are no herring balls to rake, no mooching, and no resident salmon as there is no herring to feed on.

DFO is wasting its time. Restore the herring stocks on the inside waters, stop the roe harvest and fishery, and do something about the seals that are competing for herring and for resident Chinooks, and that will make a difference. Its no wonder that the Resident Orcas are starving, but that is the resident pods that eat fish. The transient killer whales move from seal rock to seal rock and are doing fine.

I can understand that a starving Orca does not breed well, does not fight infection and disease or heal when injured, but the sport fishery has nothing to do with the loss of the Resident Chinook numbers.

If DFO and the interest groups would simply understand the basic loss of the resident Chinook populations in the Vancouver - Campbell River - Victoria area for the majority of the year is because of the loss of feedstock forcing the Chinooks to migrate north, then maybe recovery can occur for all the inside waters.

Otherwise, it is nothing more than an exercise in finger pointing that misses what the real problem is.

Drewski

Last edited:
You make some great points DC. Do you have any plans to act upon them with a community based project of some kind? Be great if you did as it needs to be done as you point out!

These whales have always left the southern Vancouver Island waters during the winter months. Until recently where they spent the winter was a mystery. Tracking has shown that they spend much of the winter off the Oregon and Washington outer coast. They return to the southern Vancouver Island/Puget Sound waters each spring in anticipation of large numbers of returning adult Chinook salmon to the Fraser, Cowichan, and Puget Sound river systems to mention a few. Summer Chinook stocks to these whales is not unlike berries and in river spawning salmon to bears. Summer is the.... pack it on the fat reserves time, so that they can get through the leaner winter months. If I as a career guide can't catch enough these days to keep me fat during the summer months....the whales are not going to be doing any better.

These whales have always left the southern Vancouver Island waters during the winter months. Until recently where they spent the winter was a mystery. Tracking has shown that they spend much of the winter off the Oregon and Washington outer coast. They return to the southern Vancouver Island/Puget Sound waters each spring in anticipation of large numbers of returning adult Chinook salmon to the Fraser, Cowichan, and Puget Sound river systems to mention a few. Summer Chinook stocks to these whales is not unlike berries and in river spawning salmon to bears. Summer is the.... pack it on the fat reserves time, so that they can get through the leaner winter months. If I as a career guide can't catch enough these days to keep me fat during the summer months....the whales are not going to be doing any better.

Chum are the key to Southern resident killerwhale winter survival. The Northern Residents feed on Hali and coho etc. but the southern residents feed on winter springs and primarily chum in the winter. The myth that southern residents ONLY eat Chinook was propagated through a handful of fecal samples that were taken in (guess?) the summer , showing that they only eat Chinook. Lots of lazy science has brought us to where we are now.

beemer

Last edited:
Whole in the water,

There is no community projects that can be undertaken to change a herring roe fishery's damage. If you want to create more herring for the commercials to catch, go ahead. There won't be any more for the whales.

Profisher, I was not aware of the migration to Oregon / Washington, but I expect that their low resident salmon numbers are for the same reason as our low resident salmon numbers. However, the reality of resident salmon not being present in the spring and summer months, as well as the late winter months, is all for the same reason, no herring.

We can enhance survival numbers by putting fish spawn through the hatchery and resulting in smolts being released in 20 times the egg hatch success in the wild, but who cares if the fish just go to Alaska? Then, the Alaskan fishers have their way with them anyway.

Lets start by rebuilding the biomass these fish need when the exit the rivers as smolts, and maybe more will stay resident for the whales to feed on.

Drewski

Back