SFI-BC Message Re. DFO Fishing Closures & Reg Changes

We have pastimes and activities that we do that is as traditional to us as any other citizen.

I get your point, but your succeeding an important part of our culture and basically deeming it not important with that view.

We don’t do this for money, it’s a western tradition too. I can’t see why our culture is any less of value in this issue.

My son has been on a boat salmon fishing since birth, I would say it is his culture also. Will be very sad to have the ability to fish as a family slowly taken away

The most powerful scenario - a 51% reduction in marine harvest on the five large stockssignificantly improved female survival and fecundity, reversing the population’s modelled decline of 0.09 % annually to achieve positive growth rates and significantly lower the likelihood of extinction.
Lacy et al. further showed that a modeled 30% increase in the coast-wide Chinook abundance above the 1979-2008 average could increase Southern Resident growth rate by as much as 1.9%.161 This growth rate provides a high probability that the currently impaired population could survive at larger and more viable numbers into the future. Achieving this level of increased abundance in the short term, and initiating recovery by harvest restrictions alone, may be difficult. When noise and disturbance are addressed in concert with Chinook abundance

I couldn't get any links to this paper to work to read it in its entirety, although I did a few others. There are a lot of claims that there is no science behind any of the SRKW actions on this thread, but as you point out that isn't really true, there is quite a bit of science, including modelling of the population response to more prey, showing increased abundance of chinook would help the population. As with any paper the assumptions behind it can be challeneged, but there is science. In the long term increasing the number of Chinook would be the best scenario, however the SEP and similar programs in the US have been in place since the 1970s with only reductions in Chinook to show for it so that part is unrealistic to expect in the near term.
One of the sad parts is, is they don't think that aboriginal fisheries are a concern or they are unwilling to call out first nations...
You need to remember this is a scientific paper. If they are looking at the official FN catch of chinook in BC, based on 2015 1nd 106 numbers it is less than 10% of the total catch in BC. Sport fishing and Commercial share the rest of the roughly 90% evenly. There is no way to quantify the FN poaching number. On the overall Chinook population for the Pacific coast that number is probably not that significant, although it is certainly important for the major river system it takes place in, the Fraser/Harrison.

If the closures had to do with Spring salmon, why not close the areas for just Springs or apply heavier retention restrictions? Why a finfish closure?

If the closures had to do with Spring salmon, why not close the areas for just Springs or apply heavier retention restrictions? Why a finfish closure?

As us in the Clayoquot sound area has several finfish closed areas, we were told that the enforcement branch asked for this to make it easier for them instead of spending the time checking every boats' gear and cooler . If you're fishing in that area you're in violation

As us in the Clayoquot sound area has several finfish closed areas, we were told that the enforcement branch asked for this to make it easier for them instead of spending the time checking every boats' gear and cooler . If you're fishing in that area you're in violation
Pretty scary if true. If you look at the closures down here there are two closed areas with an open restricted area in between . Wonder what the next step will be? Finfish closure of Juan de Fuca?
Guess DFO can add aircraft enforcement to their aircraft catch data. Should be able to cut back to one or two guys!

It is my understanding that it is much easier and quicker for DFO to shut down whole management areas rather than "bother " with leaving portions of an area open. I believe this is why they carpet bombed the whole inner gulf island area with complete closures of whole management areas for all fin fish. Strictly for their own convenience. They have no interest in providing opportunities to sport fish for anybody. We are now enemies....

It is my understanding that it is much easier and quicker for DFO to shut down whole management areas rather than "bother " with leaving portions of an area open. I believe this is why they carpet bombed the whole inner gulf island area with complete closures of whole management areas for all fin fish. Strictly for their own convenience. They have no interest in providing opportunities to sport fish for anybody. We are now enemies....

Bang on.

Some Golfer sees enforcement as a drain on his budget. Such a god awful mentality, but a good indicator of the Gov machine.

I don’t really see how pissing the public off will get them on our side.

I remember back in 1989 I was involved in a truckers strike with many parades and road blocking for a week. It did nothing but lose any public support we had. That was the last time I drove my truck. Sold it at a loss and moved on. Those guys still work for peanuts.

My point is I think negotiating behind the scenes and lobbying in Ottawa will get us further.

Works very well for First Nations. The fact people don’t want to protest to try and get back some of the rec sectors rights or even a spotlight on it is ASININE. Look at all the movements and the fact is they all inconvenience the public and many get their way (environmental, FN etc)

And profishers comment “when they have a plan they’ll let you know is getting a bit old. I realize guys are working hard and were lied to etc. But how many times have we heard that (literally verbatim) and crickets ...

Works very well for First Nations. The fact people don’t want to protest to try and get back some of the rec sectors rights or even a spotlight on it is ASININE. Look at all the movements and the fact is they all inconvenience the public and many get their way (environmental, FN etc)

And profishers comment “when they have a plan they’ll let you know is getting a bit old. I realize guys are working hard and were lied to etc. But how many times have we heard that (literally verbatim) and crickets ...

I think protesting for catch and release makes sense in areas that have closures. Or even protesting to allow fishing from shore. How does shore fishing impact whales?

But it’s hard to do it in a way that people that won’t be spun that we are against whales.

First Nations don’t even protest to harvest whales any more.

It would be easier to protest to stop the whale watchers ect..

34506494_1669658669754407_5173737700913577984_o.jpg

And we have our first one. This will be conducted right in the forage zone in the Juan De Fuca straight today.

"P-0776(2018) (SAFETY) MILITARY
Area: JUAN DE FUCA - WH
Type: MILITARY
Activated: 04/Jun/2018 23:44 [effective 05/Jun/2018]

THE COMMANDER, MARITIME FORCES PACIFC ADVISES THAT USCG SHIP WILL CONDUCT GUNNERY EXERCISES IN SEA AREA WH FROM 1000 TO 1500 PDT 05 JUNE, 2018."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

***If you know that endangered Southern Resident orcas (now only 76 individuals) or any marine mammals are in or near Area WH, please try contacting the following to let them know:
----U.S. Coast Guard, VHF Channel 16
----U.S. Coast Guard District 13: (206) 220-7001 or (206) 220-7285
----MARPAC (Royal Canadian Navy Maritime Forces Pacific Formation) 250-363-5912 or Operations 250-363-5848
----Pacific Northwest Range Management and Operations Division, Range Control Branch, Keyport, WA at (360) 396-2313

Very convenient that these pesky sportfishers are out of the way now! Blast away, the whale will surely enjoy the spectacle! Oh no, wait a minute the whales won't be there as they try to find food from Swiftsure to Tofino all summer long. Hm, why was the JdF closed to fin fishing again? To facilitate US military drills? Surely not to save whales that aren't even there.

Back