Level wind reels

Homer

Love my MR 3's but just had another hand surgery. Looking to switch to level wind reels. Have GLoomis rods. looking at the shiminao Talica any opinions? Any suggestions for level wind reel options.

Thanks

/fishon

Love my MR 3's but just had another hand surgery. Looking to switch to level wind reels. Have GLoomis rods. looking at the shiminao Talica any opinions? Any suggestions for level wind reel options.

Thanks

/fishon
I use mr3,amundson etc etc but my wife wanted a level wind so I got her a cabelas stainless steel branded level wind reel on a 91/2 ft talora rod. She was in the head while fishing last year and I had the duty/pleasure of bringing in a 281/2 lb spring on it. I hate to admit it but it was more than adequate!! Good fun and the line counter works well-once you are used to it-could be useful. She also has the non-stainless version in mexico but it is not as good as the stainless version-they say the inner workings are the same but just doesn't seem as good. I think 129 dollars in canada

I like the Shimano Charter Special it has loads of line capacity loads of power lighter than any metal reel and the lever drag was made for downrigging.

Get the 1000 the larger 2000 model is more popular but not necessary for Salmon-cheap on EBay all the time.

shimano-tr-1000ld-charter-special-reel-1.jpg

Think one of the best bangs for the buck is a Tekota 600...have had a lot of guides us them and have said a word...which means they work and like them...:)

I ran shimano charter specials for years, needed annual servicing and I always had a spare. I switched over to Avets last year and I am very, very happy. Sooooo smooth....! Buy quality and it will save you money in the long run.

Done. Decided and purchased. Got 2 Shimano Talica 16ii. Had them spooled with braided as well. Thanks for the comments.

I now have FOR SALE 2 gold MR 3 guide series with 30lb ultra green. Comes with cards, original boxes and neoprene covers. Yes they are matched colors. Also installed the paddle handles from Islander. Will include originals as well.

Will post later this weekend pictures Of the MR3's. Will only sell as a pair. $900

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogbreath,
You are a very wise man! But now all the Anti-level wind crowd will start telling you its not sporting, they suck, blah, blah, blah. I've used them for 30 years and I will for the next 15 years, Hopefully I live that long. Lol

This thread is called level wind reels but the op ended up buying lever drag conventional reels. I had Talica 16 reels, nice but i thought I could use them for big Halibut, the foot bent on both, I am sure they are well suited for Salmon though. Tekota or Charter Specials are good level winds, is there a preferred gear ratio one should lean towards when selecting a level wind for Salmon?

I've been using Torium 30 reels for a couple of years now, they're a star drag conventional. If you fish deep a fair bit, you come to appreciate the much faster retrieve rates when the clip poppers are around.

Back