Let's talk Dogfish!

Cohocutie77

Hello! Living in downtown Vancouver and hoping to catch some dogfish in the area this year. What time of year is best and what do I need to be setup with? Any and all advice is appreciated :)

Hello! Living in downtown Vancouver and hoping to catch some dogfish in the area this year. What time of year is best and what do I need to be setup with? Any and all advice is appreciated :)
Go to West Van around the fisheries building. Jig up some herring or just use dead herring. Drop the line down and wait about 15-20 seconds. Please take them all.

I am assuming you are land based ? Basically any medium range spinning tackle rig will be most convenient for you , anywhere from 7 - 10’6 would be a good length . Set up with some steel leaders , 5/0 octopus hooks , a sliding weight of some sort, and jig some live shiners for bait . I’m not sure where you are located downtown but I have seen people catching lots of dogfish in false creek ! Set your drag really low so the dog can run with the bait , pick up rod, tighten down drag and set that hook. A good friend of mine Danny Merth and I used to do this religiously at dusk during summer , before we discovered weed booze and women.

Dog fish are shipped to England for fish and chips by the ton. They pee thorough their skin (amonia scent sort of) so must be processed. Fillet off the tail section and skin it .. .very easy. Almost has a meaty texture. Set covered in a bowl 50/50 white vinegar/water overnight. Seasoned flour shake and then fry in veg oil/butter .... delicious. If they renamed this fish Lucky probably make the endangered list.

Here’s one way of catching them. I released this dog fish but he decided to swim through the prop guard and jam the prop up. Stalled the motor and was a pain to get out.

Attachments

• F9090E04-76B6-4BE4-82D7-47D60205669D.jpeg
    F9090E04-76B6-4BE4-82D7-47D60205669D.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 190
Dog fish are shipped to England for fish and chips by the ton. They pee thorough their skin (amonia scent sort of) so must be processed. Fillet off the tail section and skin it .. .very easy. Almost has a meaty texture. Set covered in a bowl 50/50 white vinegar/water overnight. Seasoned flour shake and then fry in veg oil/butter .... delicious. If they renamed this fish Lucky probably make the endangered list.
Exactly this, but I prefer Mango/Pineapple juice to let them marinate as it makes the meat a bit sweeter. Rinse before cooking. It's surprising that there is zero taste of the juice itself when cooked. I also prefer a crispier Tempura style....I love using Panko for our fish & chips, while the kids prefer it done like Seascene has described.

Soaking in milk (lactic acid) in the fridge for some hours before cooking is another way of conditioning the meat before cooking. Remember that they have that nasty big spine in one of the tail area fins that is covered with a slime that can cause a massive infection if it is driven deep into your hand. Handle with care, even when they are dead.

I am thinking I better acquire a taste for dogfish, it’s all we are going to be allowed to keep in a few years!
....dog fish-kabobs, dog fish creole, dogfish gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple dogfish, lemon dogfish, coconut dogfish, pepper dogfish, dogfish soup, dogfisg stew, dogfish salad, dogfish and potatoes, dogfish burger, dogish sandwich....

Bubba Gump Dogfish Co.
That’s Funny

We fished “The Hump” out of Campbell River several times, couldn’t keep them off the hook when dropping down to Salmon depth, just threw them back, everyone around the marina said the meat wasn’t edible because of the pee/skin issue.

So after you fillet them can you freeze them or do you have to marinate them first then freeze?

We use Costco pancake mix for the batter on most of what we catch, mix with beer and keep it thin, works great.

That’s Funny

We fished “The Hump” out of Campbell River several times, couldn’t keep them off the hook when dropping down to Salmon depth, just threw them back, everyone around the marina said the meat wasn’t edible because of the pee/skin issue.

So after you fillet them can you freeze them or do you have to marinate them first then freeze?

We use Costco pancake mix for the batter on most of what we catch, mix with beer and keep it thin, works great.
Great tip

Many years ago I fished Dogfish commercially on a dragger that delivered to the Campbell Avenue Fish docks. Our dogfish went to Germany, Japan, Brittain and China at that time.

My dad was fishing for the Prince Rupert Coop at that time and they had published an entire cookbook on dogfish which they distributed to all the members.

Of course as young fisherman we would not lower ourselves to eat dogfish. Tasted pretty darn good to me when I travelled to Germany and England later in life though. Too funny.

I have tried dogfish once fried in herb butter. It had been skinned and soaked in milk overnight in the fridge.

The meat wasn’t super firm, but it tasted mild and had a decent flavour.

Back