Lets see some of your tomics

IMG_0059.PNG
#455 I've casted this and got a monster lingcod, but trolls way better.

I may have a slight problem…. 232 my fave for WCVI, very closely followed by 601 / 602. In Puget Snd and Strts 84FLG.View attachment 78355
Stop, you are killing me...I too have a plug addiction. Lol...nice collection !! That is how I store my plugs as well. Always looking at different more efficient ways to store them - haven't yet found a suitable improvement over this

Stop, you are killing me...I too have a plug addiction. Lol...nice collection !! That is how I store my plugs as well. Always looking at different more efficient ways to store them - haven't yet found a suitable improvement over this
i had it..my problem, under control until my buddy sold his boat and gear….so i had to get his collection also….
i have not found a better storage system either… i downsized to a smaller “ floating tackle shop “ last year, so i will be forced to thin down what goes aboard… the 232 will be in the pile for sure….

Attachments

• 1D816C87-F346-482F-A2A0-83AF6BFD92D0.jpeg
    1D816C87-F346-482F-A2A0-83AF6BFD92D0.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 63
do you troll using the nose ring, or let it rattle and tie to the tow bar?
I usually troll with it by itself, but an old commercial troller fisherman showed me to put an elastic band on it over the line to control which way it wobbles. Slamming pounding hits. Never used the tow bar method. Could you explain how?

Im like a crow when it comes to shiny fishing ****. Since tomic isnt accepting online orders right now, whos got the best selection on the lower island?

I usually troll with it by itself, but an old commercial troller fisherman showed me to put an elastic band on it over the line to control which way it wobbles. Slamming pounding hits. Never used the tow bar method. Could you explain how?
Some will cut off the nose ring and then tie their line high on the tow bar so the plug has a more "nose down" attitude when it is trolled. It hops and gyrates more this way. Use a second knot to hold it in place. Pic attached. There are other tricks, but you asked a specific question. Go to Tomic's site. https://tomiclure.com/instructions/

knot-for-bumper-.jpg

Some will cut off the nose ring and then tie their line high on the tow bar so the plug has a more "nose down" attitude when it is trolled. It hops and gyrates more this way. Use a second knot to hold it in place. Pic attached. There are other tricks, but you asked a specific question. Go to Tomic's site. https://tomiclure.com/instructions/

View attachment 78480
Thanks for the link and the great info, much appreciated. I've tend to not use plugs because I've been told it was usually a commercial lure or more meant for Port Alberni and Campbell River type fishery. I'll be trying it more often now, but of coarse not until the Spring regs change.

View attachment 78480
I tie it high and use a drop of nail polish

I bought 3 or 4 last summer but never got up the courage to run them lol. Oh I did for Lakers at home and hit a couple. I have watched a few YouTube videos on running them and as usual too many opinions.
Would you guys suggest running them as they are out of the box or do the pull the pin thing and run your line through thing. Any difference you think.

I bought 3 or 4 last summer but never got up the courage to run them lol. Oh I did for Lakers at home and hit a couple. I have watched a few YouTube videos on running them and as usual too many opinions.
Would you guys suggest running them as they are out of the box or do the pull the pin thing and run your line through thing. Any difference you think.
Try the elastic band method before you pull the pin. I know some guys pull the pins all the time but your mileage may vary, check the action with a rubber band method versus running the nose ring or the tow bar.

I dont fish plugs often, but i would run them the way aquaholic linked above. Dont overthink it.

there’s pulling the pin, and then pulling the pin properly. i was getting some abrasions on my lines as well as some leakers.it’s imperative to be super careful when pulling the pin out of the body. have a small file handy to file the snipped portion of the pin so there’s no sharp edges before you pull it out of the plug. also when pulling the pin out take your time and twist carefully. a lot of the uvbiirt plugs are two pieces and you can snap the weld creating a leaker.

pulling the pin changes the angle how the plug face digs and therefore changes the tail action as well. i’ve run pulled vs non pulled and while i prefer to pull the pin i don’t think it’s a major game changer.

I’ve pulled pins on dozens of used Tomics prior to painting. I’ve found that some of the through holes are on the bottom while others were on the top. The through holes would be the holes that your able to run your line through. Depending on which hole goes through would change the action on the plug.

there’s pulling the pin, and then pulling the pin properly. i was getting some abrasions on my lines as well as some leakers.it’s imperative to be super careful when pulling the pin out of the body. have a small file handy to file the snipped portion of the pin so there’s no sharp edges before you pull it out of the plug. also when pulling the pin out take your time and twist carefully. a lot of the uvbiirt plugs are two pieces and you can snap the weld creating a leaker.

pulling the pin changes the angle how the plug face digs and therefore changes the tail action as well. i’ve run pulled vs non pulled and while i prefer to pull the pin i don’t think it’s a major game changer
If you slip a q-tip plastic shaft into the pin hole in the plug it acts as a liner, protects the plug and the line.
The plugs with the pin pulled usually swim better with a faster troll speed as well, you'll pull the pin on a plug that has caught fish and it won't produce throttle up and bang.

We run 30 plugs a side on the troller for 5 - 6 weeks every year.
I only pull the pins on those that lose their swivel for the hook.
Most still have the ring attached to the tow bar.
Little trick when that is the case. Each ring will have a bump where the ring was welded together.
Tie your line exactly opposite of that bump so the tow bar rides on the bump itself.
This makes the plug's action erratic which in turn generates more strikes.

Cheers,
Nog

Back