Leaders for Spoons

Slabby20

Just looking for opinions about what others do. When you run large spoons off the WCVI do you normally tie your main line direct to the spoon/swivel/ring or do you add a heavier leader section with a swivel??

Nog, would you care to elaborate a bit on why you run heavier leader on spoons?

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Heavier leader (2/3 length of the rod) and swivel. Do the same with plugs.

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Nog :)

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Enniberg
Nog, would you care to elaborate a bit on why you run heavier leader on spoons?
I'm not Nog but.....

1-to impart the action given by the flasher back to the spoon

2-it's the last few feet that get abraded quite quickly and that's when things start to go south......[V]

I almost always run the spoons directly on my mainline. No particular reason, other than its easier dealing with loose spoons without a bunch of line attached to them. I use 35# mainline.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I use 60lb maxima about 6ft to a swivel.I use the 60 so when i'm grabbing the leaders to release fish it's easier on my hands.

I generally use 60# Triplefish for leaders on spoons and plugs.

It may be a little heavy, but I have lots of it as I use it mainly for hoochy leaders.

One nice thing about this line is that it stands up to a lot of abuse. One leader is generally good for the entire season, barring things like line cuts or getting caught in something and putting major nicks in it.

If I were to buy line specifically for this purpose, I might consider going to a 50# line - probably Triplefish, as I can buy it in 100 yard coils fairly cheaply (Thanks Nikka :D )

As for length, I generally run about 5' to 6' - whatever covers my outstretched arms.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Back