launching at the Gold River ramp...

nahmint

I've launched there for day trips, but would like to leave my vehicle & trailer there for several days at a time. Should I be concerned about doing that? Anyone had problems when they've left vehicles in the compound there? What are the charges? Any other things to be concerned with there?
I've been launching at Moutcha Bay.
Thanks for any feedback.

Leave mine there for 2 weeks at a time without a problem.

The Gold River ramp has parking inside a fenced area and outside, and the First Nation people claim you need to pay parking for either location. I assume that is true for the fenced area, but for the outside area do they have any jurisdiction for parking? They also charge for use of the ramp. Does anyone have the real scoop on this operation? thanks. DAJ

I've left my SUV and trailer there 3 times for 3 or 4 days each time. I've never had a problem. There are always a lot of high end trailers and tow vehicles inside the compound. I have no issue paying for the compound parking which I think is 11.00 per day or thereabouts. You can also hose off your trailer when you pull out with their fresh water washdown. A little low on pressure, but, better than no washdown. A lot of people do however park on the road. The FN folks are always very nice and accommodating.

Matador

Park and pay is the way to go. It is a short season and god bless them FN guys for living the dream running their own business, my hat is off to them. I've parked there for 15 years and never had one problem and the folks there have always looked after me and my vehicle....so I never mind paying for peace of mind.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Searun,
I realize the season is short and they are trying to make a business out of both the parking and launching, which is fine, particuarly if they are maintaining the ramp. What is not fine in my book is to have a situation where all parties launch their boat and park for 4-5 days, and some pay $0, others $60-70, and others something in between. There is 3 boats in our group staying the same amount of time, and some years we have been charged different amounts, and then met others at the ramp tell us to ignore the FN fee collector. Is their a fee for parking outside of their fenced area? Is the fee paid a "protection fee" or in other words "your car is safe if you pay or fee, otherwise...". It would be nice to know the real scoop and decide accordingly. DAJ

I understand concerns over inconsistent application of the fees. I always park inside the fence and not on the road so I know my vehicle is safe.:) Considering what we all invest to go fishing this great area, it is a small price to pay to leave behind a positive impact on the local economy. I see too many guys packing in extra gas etc to avoid spending a little cash at places like Critter Cove or the Indian Village at Nootka. It is a short season, so they have so little time to make a living that I don't begrudge leaving a small contribution to keep them going. The $$ you save is hardly worth it, and the good will you create by contributing pays huge dividends. I'm thinking that if the FN guys closed the ramp we would be screaming like raped sea gulls and happy to pay something to keep it going.[:0]

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:the First Nation people claim you need to pay parking for either location. I assume that is true for the fenced area, but for the outside area do they have any jurisdiction for parking? They also charge for use of the ramp. Does anyone have the real scoop on this operation?
Yes it's all native land.

I'm so old I remember when that was where Native people lived and they were slowly being poisoned to death by the mill.

Then they moved up into the bush somewhere but still own that land.

billreidsalmon.jpg

100% correct Dogbreath...it IS their land and we are guests. Pay up and smile, the alternative isn't pretty. I never mind paying when I see guys trying to start a business and make it successful...I love their entrepreneurial spirit...god bless them.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Last Aug. I think it was[8D] Tmit22 parked in the lot and being the cheap guy that I am:) I asked about parking along the road. While I was told that we would be towed along with the rest of the trucks and trailers there. We decided to leave the trailer there and drive the truck out to Tuta Marine. Guess what our trailer was still there..:)

I would think that the road allowance would belong to the B.C. goverment?? I have never had any problems parking my truck and trailer there. Always paid to launch when they were there to collect...............BB

Dogbreath wrote:

"I'm so old I remember when that was where Native people lived and they were slowly being poisoned to death by the mill."

Well, I'm so old that sometime around April or May of 1967 I and a pal named Rod Bailey (RIP) were recruited by the Department of Indian Affairs to work one Saturday out at Friendly Cove. We both worked in Mill Stores and I was the second guy hired in that department. I started in March of 1967.
The job entailed flying out there first thing Sat. morning then hauling all the furniture from the church and school there down to the dock. There it would be crated up and loaded on the Uchuck then carried to Gold River, the new home of most of the people from Friendly Cove.
There were still a couple of families living at Friendly Cove then but most had moved to the site right next to the pulp mill.
I've wracked my brains a million times but cannot ever recall anyone ever saying anything about the long term health hazards associated with living next to a pulp mill. It just never seemed to be a thought at the time.
Naturally, some 25 years later it became very apparent what the health hazards were and I suspect I'm not the only person who has symbolically slapped their forehead and uttered the word.."DUH!"

In hindsight it seems like such a thoughtless and truly stupid thing to have done, moving a whole village right next to a pulp mill, but I swear I never ever heard anyone mention the potential health hazard thing at all. And I'm still amazed that apparently nobody anywhere thought of it either.

Thank goodness ignorance can be cured.

Take care.

I'm fine with paying for ramp and parking privileges...but wish some of the yearly income went into small ramp and dock improvements. There needs to be a dock for both launching and incoming..the ramp is wide enough for this. Also it isn't much to ask for proper blocking or eyes to tie lines to while you fetch your truck. (I'm alone so have to ask stangers to hold on to the boat)

Is the launch now paved? Last time I was there it was a beach launch! Hard to launch the last time there on a low tide. That been said, the rates look good.,..............BB

I know this is an old thread, but yes, the launch is now paved...

Back