Late season Springs or Coho

Fished up and down the inside of VCI and some of the locals to the outside but never the south end of the Island.
Now looking at the possibility of getting over to Renfrew what is the drive like with boat in tow? Looking at a map looks to be a bit of a windy drive.
The sooke side is a bitchto drive with a boat in tow, narrow windy road with lots of big dips in the road, lake cowichan road is better but still not great, take it easy and dont expect to make record time on the drive, hope you have good fishing trip

I tow a 23ft Hourston into there quite often and no problem. It's paved the whole way in and yes its a bit windy, but from Brentwood Bay to Renfrew takes me about 2 hours. I have never done the Cowichan side but have heard good things about it.

Like already mentioned a bit windy but not terrible. We have a place there so I’m on that road a lot in the summer. I totally prefer coming through Lake Cowichan. Coming through Sooke from Victoria is more than I can take. People don’t need to speed but driving 20 under the speed limit is a bit much...imo...lol. The worst part of the Lake Cowichan road is the last 10km into Renfrew. It’s the original paved section of road and definitely has some dips in it. Although we have been pretty happy over the years with them keeping up on repairs overall. I’ll miss the fall fishing there this year but it has always been a lot of fun for us. I sold my boat when I left and having one built this fall so my slip is empty. Shoot me a PM if you end up going to Renfrew and I’m sure we can work something out.

Heard today that DFO reports the largest biomass of Coho seen in the last decade is working it's way down the coast. Many fish in the high teens being reported already.
Looks like the Port Renfrew Coho derby at the end of September should be a hoot!
First place takes home all the cash, usually $10,000 - $15,000.

Beats a day in the office.

Any place a person can validate this info? it sure would be handy when planning a trip lol

Any place a person can validate this info? it sure would be handy when planning a trip lol
there was coho in big numbers at the bank for the last month+,i caught multiple coho fishing for soxs few weeks ago in front of the bay,heading for a few days on sunday will report when I get back on wenesday,coho fishing in Renfrew is awesome best time of the year

Keep an eye on Fraser River mouth fishery. Probably be your best shot at getting him into multiple Chinook salmon that late in the season.

there was coho in big numbers at the bank for the last month+,i caught multiple coho fishing for soxs few weeks ago in front of the bay,heading for a few days on sunday will report when I get back on wenesday,coho fishing in Renfrew is awesome best time of the year

Just cause it’s good fishing has nothing to do with the statement about one of the largest bio masses of fish.

Sorry to hear about your situation, that is terrible stuff to deal with, i would second Renfrew or Sooke, the rd to Renfrew is not bad just go slow, if you need a place to stay pm me we live on the ocean in Jordan River so 30 minutes to each location, our door is open if you need it. Try to stay positive and try not to dwell on the prognosis, it isn't easy but it will help, my wife too is dealing with terminal cancer at the moment, so i can relate to what you are going through, good luck.

I just came down last night from the Denham Bay area and it was very good fishing, I can attest to the number and size of some of the wild cohos which was awesome. One guy in our group who had never touched a salmon rod picked up a 38.4 lb spring and there are springs in the Bute as well. We were our of Dent Island and they're going to be closing up not too far down the road but you could give them a call or Sonora. You can't retain those beautiful cohos in the migratory areas but you can in Bute until Sept 15th. Wonderful area to fish, always calm, save for the narrows. Good luck.

Back