Late season Springs or Coho

Chuck

Have a bit of a request. Looking to find some real decent fishing within the next month.

The story goes!

This summer planned to take my nephew out but as plans go it didn’t work, so no big deal we can plan for next summer. He has never fished the salt and would really to like to make it happen, he is a fishing machine when it comes to lake fishing. Truly part of his being!

Well, a couple weeks ago he is out hiking and has a pain in his lower abdomen, he’s thinking maybe apendex. Off to the Dr. he goes, they find he has something going on with his liver following an X-ray. He then gets in for a CT scan and yup there is definitely liver issues. This past Thursday a biopsy is done, he texts me and tell me it’s not good and he may only have a few months.
Biopsy shows metastasized 4th stage cancer in his liver, also found nodules on his pancreas and colon. The research I have done reads that it’s not good!!
My nephew is a young healthy energetic guy of 35, has beautiful wife a two year old daughter and just found out last week that his wife is expecting. In the past few years has worked tirelessly with provincial health minister on the opioid crisis.
So what I’m trying to accomplish is to get him out onto the salt in the near future to find some good Coho or even any Chinook that might still be around.
Over the past few years I have been staying on my boat closer to the fishing grounds but being a bit late, too cool at night and possibly too uncomfortable for my nephew we would stay at a lodge or town if available.

So my question is, are there any good locations to fish later in the season for Coho or Chinook?

If so and would rather keep it quiet a pm would be fine.

Any recommendations would be so greatly appreciated..

Wardo

What is going on is so unbelievable, but we must have HOPE, give him and his family support and keep moving forward!

Last edited:
The coho fishing around Tofino is real good right now (protected waters) and the Chinook fishing has been steady although that may change with a couple of days of rain to move them (surfline- open ocean exposure). Short runs from town too

Thats sad news and i personally know
how hard this can be on everyone..
Where are u located and launch
out of .? we should be good for at least
a couple more weeks to lesser degrees.

cheers

Wow chuck, I’m very sorry to hear that story. I hope that somebody who is good at fishing, will take you guys out for a day on the water and attempt to catch both types of salmon.
I’m hoping for the best for your nephew and his family. Take care!

I have my own boat just need to see if we can find where there are salmon hanging out.

I drag the boat and launch all over. Horseshoe Bay, Browns Bay, Gold River, Bella Coola, Kitimat, Prince Rupert. Wherever the fish are really..

Late season consistency I usually think of Renfrew. Decent comfortable lodging there too if you chose.

Sorry about the health issue and best wishes for the family!

Late season consistency I usually think of Renfrew. Decent comfortable lodging there too if you chose.

Sorry about the health issue and best wishes for the family!
Renfrew coho fishing is my favorite time of the year,big coho and consistant fishing

Emailed John at Westview Marine in Tahsis. He was saying that still excellent Spring and Coho fishing in the area for September and no need to go outside. Could be quite wet though, which is no problem.
Would be a good trip for my nephew if there is decent fishing.

Anyone fished Esperenza or Nootka through September, if so how was it?

I’ve not fished Nootka after Aug 15th, but have been told by good sources coho fishing can be very good mid Sept. with big fish 15+ lbs. Its quiet up there in Sept compared to the peak times but there are people around for safety if required. It’s avery special place for creating memories. Godspeed to your nephew.

I was forwarded a pic of a 53 caught on a big guide boat in Ukee this morning. I don't know the person in the photo so won't post it, but it is a beast.
I don't do facebook, but it is on there. Pacific Rim Charters.
Sorry to read of your nephew.

Last edited:
So sorry about the tough situation of your nephew and his family. So tragic! Give him a fishy moment to remember in times when its tough. I also suggest Nootka. I'd stay in Moutcha Bay - most conveniently to reach in all of Nootka, top facilities and springs and cohos will be right in front at the Conuma mouth. All the best and all the luck in this world!

Emailed John at Westview Marine in Tahsis. He was saying that still excellent Spring and Coho fishing in the area for September and no need to go outside. Could be quite wet though, which is no problem.
Would be a good trip for my nephew if there is decent fishing.

Anyone fished Esperenza or Nootka through September, if so how was it?
I live in Tahsis and fish Esperanza into October. northern Coho are moving in. Fish are being caught in Saltery, Garden point, double island/birthday channel, and on the front and back of Centre Island. Springs are still being caught - saw a 20 lber come in yesterday from the log dump. 857 fish counted at last weekend's derby by 146 entrants. Carpe Diem.

Fished S/W corner at Ucluelet Sept 20 in 2003 Several Chinook 22-38, lot's of over 15 Coho. The big Chinook were white; probably headed to the Fraser. Hooked a couple nice one's off the beach at Renfrew same trip; that's probably where I would go.

Fished S/W corner at Ucluelet Sept 20 in 2003 Several Chinook 22-38, lot's of over 15 Coho. The big Chinook were white; probably headed to the Fraser. Hooked a couple nice one's off the beach at Renfrew same trip; that's probably where I would go.
15 years ago lol

He’s posted based on the time of month he was catching fish for the OP. it’s a crappy situation...
I understand that, fishing is a wee bit diferent now a days, numbers are not the same, we used to get a late run of big white spring mid sept in renfrew have not seen those in a long time

Renfrew can be very solid for late season Springs and huge fun when the Northerns show up at the mouth of the bay in late September through October.

I like to use light gear for the Coho so can be a blast. Limits are usually 4 per day, two wild and two hatchery depending on your location to the fishing boundaries at the entrance the the bay.

Best of luck Chuck.

Heard today that DFO reports the largest biomass of Coho seen in the last decade is working it's way down the coast. Many fish in the high teens being reported already.
Looks like the Port Renfrew Coho derby at the end of September should be a hoot!
First place takes home all the cash, usually $10,000 - $15,000.

Beats a day in the office.

Heard today that DFO reports the largest biomass of Coho seen in the last decade is working it's way down the coast. Many fish in the high teens being reported already.
Looks like the Port Renfrew Coho derby at the end of September should be a hoot!
First place takes home all the cash, usually $10,000 - $15,000.

Beats a day in the office.
With the average size of springs this year,big coho are going to be blast again this year in renfrew

Fished up and down the inside of VCI and some of the locals to the outside but never the south end of the Island.
Now looking at the possibility of getting over to Renfrew what is the drive like with boat in tow? Looking at a map looks to be a bit of a windy drive.

Back