Krippled herring/anchovy hoods

c-dawg

Hi; first post. I've been lurking for awhile and searching archives, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I usually fish the ocean out of Westport, WA, and the de facto method is cut plug herring. I've started using herring hoods the last couple of years, so I'm trying to learn more about them. Plus, I finally have an opportunity to fish Nootka this year, and I want to have the proper tackle.

Hope it's okay to just jump in a ask a question.

I've noticed in the recent threads about teaser colors and combos that everything seems to be in reference to Rhys Davis products. Are the Krippled hoods used equally as often? Is one prefered over the other, or seem to produce more than the other, or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Personal choice. I've used both but prefer the Rhys Davis teaser heads. (Anchovy Specials)

Guess it is personal choice-used many types but have settled and only use krippled K for anchovies-do use rhys for large herring.

I use both. The krippled heads have a little different roll which can set it apart in a big pack

Krippled Heads require somewhat larger Chovies than the 5" little ones. They don't fish raisins well so ensure you wet brine when you are using Krippled heads. Rhys Davis heads fish all sizes well and raisins work well....especially nice when using dry brined bait. The Bullet Rolls like larger chunkier Chovies.

X2 on the fishin_magician post. I never had much luck with the JDF heads allthough they look very similar to the Krippled Anchovy.

I use both. The krippled heads have a little different roll which can set it apart in a big pack

X2....something about that roll some days....I've noticed that too!

Krippled Heads require somewhat larger Chovies than the 5" little ones. They don't fish raisins well so ensure you wet brine when you are using Krippled heads. Rhys Davis heads fish all sizes well and raisins work well....especially nice when using dry brined bait. The Bullet Rolls like larger chunkier Chovies.

I found the opposite from that. I found the kirppled gave its own action to the smaller chovies. But the bigger ones and herring all spin better for me out of a rhys davis.

My opinion and I think most will say they use what they have made work best for themselves.

-KK

Love the krippled heads, swear by my red head. Also love the bulletheads as well.
All about what gives you confidence...

Both work great. I think it comes down to personal choice and also some bait tends to roll better with one or the other teaser head, so you have to try your bait in both to see. I do like the new bullet roll heads No matter which you use, I find you have to tweak the bait each time to make sure you get the right roll.

Back