Killer Whales & Salmon

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

I agree with you juandesooka, save thoose whales but shoot the seals!!

Like I said, too perfect! [watch it to the end, you'll know what I mean]

Yammy: I doubt those carcasses are wasted, probably made into fish meal for fertilizer, cat food, or something...but even still, not even close to value they'd have in supporting the food chain IMHO.

Our local TV news & print(puget sound) came up with the missing Orca whale storie's last year at this time also,But the so called starved out and dead whales were soon spotted 3 to 4 weeks later in the San Francisco area!

They are always looking for another Spotted OWL!

Ya I remember that story Win264-- the theory was that poor food supplies sent them south looking for food.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

The fact that the whales weren't in thee Broughton/Archipelago this year had nothing to do with no food...the whales they were talking about were actually further north this year chowing down.
Trust me...I saw plenty and they didn't look like they were starving.
And yes...I did see one kill a seal as well....
Every year the whale watchers go crazy and look for blame when they can't harrass a whale every single day.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

1. Leader Fishing Ltd------------------20704-----Viking Tide-------
2. Randy Reifel------------------------29076-----Styrian Knight----
3. Kanop Fishing Ltd.------------------20352-----Pachena No.1------
4. Canadian Fishing Company------------29057-----Western Princess--
5. Seaforth Industries Ltd.------------29007-----Pacific Venture 1-
6. Canadian Fishing Company------------21698-----Pacific Aggressor-

Jimmy Pattison and three other multi-millionaires
Not that i care, just thought I'd throw that out there for fun.

I am new here but I have one thing to say and you may not like it. We are watching the beginning of the end and the fiddler is playing in Ottawa.

Hi Guys, lots of interesting posts. In B.C. we have 3 very different types of killer whales , the ones that are at risk are the Southern residents,not the Northern Residents or transient(meat eater) populations.The southern residents are made up of 3 pods J,K and L. aprox 85 whales in total.Their range is anywhere from Monterey California in winter to inland waters around Southern Vancouver Island in the summer.They only eat salmon and prefer spring and no they will not eat seals.(as much as I would like them too at times).This group of whales are the most polluted animals in the ocean to be ever tested. When a body is recovered of a Southern Resident killer whale it has to be shipped to Alberta to be burned as toxic medical waste.
The fact is we have decimated this group by killing them , putting them in aquariums and polluting the water so badly we can't even swim in it half the time. We have mismanaged the fishery so badly that fish struggle to get enough to eat!
Humans have really screwed these animals around by being greedy bastards and now we have the responsibility to make it right again.

Beemer</u>-the three types of Orcas found in BC waters are....

Residents-as you mention 2 groups Northern and Southern.

Transients-the meat eaters.

Offshores-little known smaller sized Orcas who travel in large packs and are found (you guessed it) offshore; I've been lucky enough to see them off WCQCI once.

kidphotors6.jpg

Originally posted by Dogbreath

Beemer</u>-the three types of Orcas found in BC waters are....

Residents-as you mention 2 groups Northern and Southern.

Transients-the meat eaters.

Offshores-little known smaller sized Orcas who travel in large packs and are found (you guessed it) offshore; I've been lucky enough to see them off WCQCI once.

kidphotors6.jpg

I'm not sure which group is which or which group I saw...

I've personally seen killer whales above say Campbell river north attack or attempt to attack seals and porpoises on about half dozen times.
I'm willing to bet that if the southern group doesn't find enough salmon...they will diversify....
It is a know fact that in california...they have been know to attack seals etc...

yes dogbreath , I am well aware what the 3 types are. Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I was trying to point out that it is the Southern Residents that are the hot topic, not the other varieties. Sorry for the confusion.

Richmake , unfortunately you are comparing apples and oranges. A good way to tell if they are residents or transients is by the shape of the dorsal fin. The transient bulls have a very A shaped dorsal when mature. The females have a very broad and squat looking dorsal fin compared to the residents. Offshores are quite a bit smaller. It is pretty unlikely that resident fish eating killerwhales will ever eat meat.It is pretty difficult to change thousands of years of instinctual behaviour in a few years , but you never know.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Richmake , unfortunately you are comparing apples and oranges. A good way to tell if they are residents or transients is by the shape of the dorsal fin. The bulls have a very A shaped dorsal when mature. The females have a very broad and squat looking dorsal fin compared to the residents. Offshores are quite a bit smaller. It is pretty unlikely that resident fish eating killerwhales will ever eat meat.It is pretty difficult to change thousands of years of instinctual behaviour in a few years , but you never know.

I'll be the first one to admit I don't know the difference...All I know is one big butt killer whale through a seal in the air....and it looked awesome!

Transients and Residents are very different types of animals, Residents will kick</u> butt</u> on Transients if they come too close.

As Beemer says the dorsal in the giveaway and if you ever heard them vocalising the Transients sound like a room full of very bad tempered cats nothing like Residents at all.

kidphotors6.jpg

quote:Originally posted by beemer

&lt;snip&gt;
It is pretty unlikely that resident fish eating killerwhales will ever eat meat.It is pretty difficult to change thousands of years of instinctual behaviour in a few years , but you never know.

I learned to eat and enjoy Brussel Sprouts a couple of years ago... [:p]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back