Killer Whales & Salmon

OldBlackDog

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

November 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM EST

The killer-whale population has become a compelling example of the impact of the West Coast salmon industry. Nine killer whales recently disappeared from their pods off the south end of Vancouver Island, having probably died of starvation. Steps should be taken to make sure that fisheries allocations take into account the needs of species that cannot survive without Pacific salmon.

All along the West Coast, Pacific salmon – from pinks to Chinook – are under severe pressure.

The diet of resident killer whales consists mainly of salmon, especially Chinook salmon. Earlier this year, some of the 83 killer whales off the north coast of Washington and southern British Columbia, known as the “southern residents,” showed signs of weight loss. Marine biologists believe the missing adult whales (including two reproductive females) starved to death. Meanwhile, the “northern residents,” a comparatively stable group of about 200 killer whales that range around the northern end of Vancouver Island were hard to spot this summer in the Broughton Archipelago – an area where they used to hold large social gatherings.

There has been a massive drop in the pink salmon population in the Broughton Archipelago. This decline is widely believed to have been caused by sea-lice infestations in the numerous Atlantic salmon fish farms in the area though the research has been deemed inconclusive. Whatever the cause, pink salmon play an important role providing nutrients to the entire ecosystem and when the pink salmon suffer, other species, like the Chinook, can be expected to follow suit. The drop in pink salmon has definitely harmed the grizzly bears in the area that rely on the spawning adults to bulk up for hibernation. There have been reports of large males killing cubs for food.

The department of Fisheries and Oceans salmon-allocation policy should be influenced by the danger that one of the great sea mammals could face extinction, rather than aggravating the risk. Some biologists have suggested that the DFO allocate salmon to killer whales and grizzly bears, as well as to the First Nations, commercial and recreational fishery interests. This suggestion deserves further study.

The DFO's Wild Salmon Policy already recognizes the importance of maintaining the integrity of the ecosystem. The department should move now to achieve it.

I say wahhhh. It's nature and you have to adapt just like we as humans do. If you don't have salmon to feast on, then damn well do as your transient brothers do and eat the seals instead - more bang for the buck (1 seal=10 salmon) then think about all the salmon saved by these bastards not chowing down on them all day long. 50000x5 lb/day - the harbour seals alone here eat 90 million lbs of salmon! Imagine if the whales cleaned them out - more salmon for them, more salmon for us & they got to feast on 7.5 million pounds on seal as well! hahaha

They are not SOL as far as I'm concerned - if they can't adapt, let them die naturally - enough of this intervention crap (assuming that is where we are heading)!

lol...of course there is some sarcasm in that...way too many messed up ingredients at play on this one. My only crime is wishing our southern population would eat the seals as well to keep things in check.

Lots of speculation in that article.
"probably died..."
"believe the missing..."
etc. Anyone can write fluff like that and postulate all sorts of theorys.
It's not worth the paper its written on. They basically don't have any hard facts.

drhook-- yup, They "Dont need no stinkin facts" but just try to convince the woman in a Toronto highrise ( oops -- or man, or transgendered) that its better to starve the whales so WE can eat the chinooks [:p].

Think back---- terms like "Sprit Bear" or "Great Bear Rainforest" facts were totally irrelevant. Its all about "spin" and perception" And they pulled it off!...

Personally- it WOULD be tragic to lose these animals. Some of the best days on the water I have had, involved interacting with these mammals. Would I give up my chinook fishing to save them??? yes- if there was no other choice.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

WOW

D.C. has the plan...

Thanks for that Kildonan. Haven't had a good belly laugh for a while!

Gimee the gaff!!!

let nature take its course. DC Reids article was misinformed and comical at best. Lets spend millions of dollars that could be spent on hatcheries and try to force feed them frozen salmon!!

Most resident killer whales worldwide have adapted to eating different species of fish and Salmon when there are food shortages. The northern Residents are eating halibut , K pod (one of the Southern resident pods)is eating Chum Salmon from the Puget Sound runs. And those are only two local examples.

The "fact" that the whales are starving is really a leap of faith and logic. Only one Southern resident was observed with a "peanut head" this year, this does not necessarily denote starvation , more commonly disease. Unfortunately many human and land based diseases and funguses are starting to show up in marine mammals eg cryptococcus but most porpoise, and dolphin bodies sink when they die making study very difficult.

Lets get real here, of the seven killer whales that died two were most likely from old age K7 and L21(98! and 58(normal lifespan) respectively). Two were calves under a year which is very common in all species when food is a limited resource and pollution is a factor. That leaves 3 animals dead which is a relatively normal attrition rate for killer whale groups of this size.

I think what we are witnessing is a political play to try and get some action on many fronts , many which may help recreational fishermen and be benificial to the overall health of the whale population. Here are a couple of suggestions for DFO.

- expand the hatchery system and get the existing ones running at full strengh. Presently many are running at less than 50% because of chronic understaffing.

- reduce the commercial fishery. When you can buy a local fish (frozen or not ) at the grocery store for $4.00 we are overharvesting.

- More enforcement, sorry guys but I still see a lot of people fishing barbs and taking WAY more than the limit when fishing is hot.

- Pollution control is by far the most important and overlooked issue. The Southern Resident killer whales are the most polluted animals to swim in the ocean. PBDE's build up in the food chain and fill their fatty tissue with toxin. When they become under weight or are breatfeeding these toxins are released from the fat and either kill them or their calves. PBDE's are mainly fire retardants that are in many things ,but mostly clothing. When the clothes get washed the PBDE's are released, flow down the sh!!t pipe, and out into the food chain. Most countries in Europe have a closed loop sewage system . NOTHING goes into the ocean.

Anyways thats my rant, but unfortunately all we will see is the usual lame butt Canadian response. A bunch of "studies" and finger pointing . Too bad.

I think you make some good points at the end of your post Beemer.

But at the start...pretty sure DC Reid was being sarcastic. Helicopter feeding whales frozen sports caught salmon? In the end, I think his real point was: if you commercially fish away all the feed, then the salmon go away...making the fishing bad and whales have less food. It is over the top crazy to have a herring fishery at all when the salmon may or may not be in crisis.

Fully agree with all four of your bullets.

I agree. As salmon stocks are challenged and whales are starving and sea birds are disappearing it's hard to watch herring fishery continue with such large harvests. Just saw this commercial opening below. Where do the 660,000 pounds of herring allocated to the food & bait fishery end up?

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Herring: Food and Bait

Subject: FN0824-Food and Bait Herring: Lottery Results 2008/2009

The results of the Industry/DFO draw for the 2008/2009 Food and Bait Herring
Lottery that took place on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 are as follows:

PRINCE RUPERT:
--------------
0 Vessels Drawn – 50 Tons Each

APPLICANT------------------------------VRN-----ELIGIBLE VESSEL-----

There were no applications for the Prince Rupert Food and Bait Fishery lottery
draw

STRAIT OF GEORGIA:
--------------------
6 Vessels Drawn – 50 Tons Each

APPLICANT------------------------------VRN------ELIGIBLE VESSEL----
1. Leader Fishing Ltd------------------20704-----Viking Tide-------
2. Randy Reifel------------------------29076-----Styrian Knight----
3. Kanop Fishing Ltd.------------------20352-----Pachena No.1------
4. Canadian Fishing Company------------29057-----Western Princess--
5. Seaforth Industries Ltd.------------29007-----Pacific Venture 1-
6. Canadian Fishing Company------------21698-----Pacific Aggressor-

Applicants identified above are eligible to apply for a 2008/2009 Food and Bait
Herring, category ZM licence.

On a radio show yesterday, the European fisheries guest was talking about how they eat them in Europe, found all over the place, but not here. I think it ends up as fish meal, fertilizer, pet food, all sorts of super cheap low-end uses. Not too smart to remove the foundation of the food chain for that?

My father loves to tell me the story of "the million dollar set"...back in the heyday of the 1970s, when the herring fishery was in hyper drive, I think in the Strait of Georgia (not sure about that though). His fisherman friend set one net that brought in an obscene amount of herring at record prices, and that one set of the net made $1 million. He paid for the party for a week following, including flights to Vegas, etc.

Glorious excess on the one hand sounds fun, but not at the expense of NO MORE FISH IN GEORGIA STRAIT....duh, you kill all the bait and what happens?

I have sympathy for bureaucratic errors, I know they are people, I know that people makes mistakes. But when there's no-brainer policies that make no sense...you start to wonder if there's anyone actually steering the ship? I think we're back to those capital P Politics...these are all leadership issues pointing back to the "vision" of who is sitting in that chair in Ottawa. I believe we just lost our BC-based fisheries minister to a PEI MP...that's not good news for a focus on what ails the west coast.

Yeah, 'Yammy5'. Disgusting![xx(] 300 tonnes of baitfish from the lower part of the food chain. This is where things need to stop if we have any hope for our salmon and thense whales.

I agree with you juandesooka, save thoose whales but shoot the seals!! Too funny, see if everyone just listened to the higher meaning behind cheech and chong, the world would be a better place[:p]

Take only what you need.

2008 Commercial Herring Catch in BC:

Total seine catch for 2008: 7231 tons
Total gillnet catch for 2008: 4300 tons
Foodfishery allocation for 2008: 300 tons

Total catch = 26,028,200 pounds of herring.

Most of which was caught in Strait of Georgia, by the way.

Back