Kicker steering

abbyfireguy

I am trying to brainstorm a kicker steering connection for my boat.
I have a welded aluminum inboard Jetboat. The jet drive is an American Turbine SD309 with the usual swim grid above and two bars protecting the pump.
I have a Yammie 9.9 high thrust and have been thinking about fabbing up a connecting bar between the two for the ugly days at Bamfield when a seat in the cabin would be nice to steer from there.
Thought about an electric control,too expensive for the 5 trips a year..
Have had some good ideas about using a flexible push pull cable of some sorts with the necessary brackets fabbed out of stainless. I have enough tools to do all the cutting welding and fabbing, just need to find a good type of flex cable that would do the trick.
The connection at the motor end would have a quick connect section so you could remove when not needed.
Any ideas or pics would be appreciated.. Gotta be a simple way to do this with materials available I hope.
And no I don't need another "ocean" boat.. Gotta make the Jetboat do double duty...
It's worked well out to 7 Mile for years so far..

This is what my dad and I came up with one afternoon. Picked up an adjustable kicker rod setup from crappy tire for $20 and then fabbed away. I know it's not inboard to outboard but it might kickstart your thought process.

eddfb5da.jpg

5b37d5bc.jpg

f28eecc3.jpg

Could you convert the 9.9 from tiller to cable with a helm in the cabin? The cable steering systems are pretty reasonable.

A good strong push pull cable is a morse control cable, available in any length. if you were to mount a couple of tabs to the swim grid with one end connected to the jet outlet, and the other to the yammie it might work, although the travel may not be enough to fully turn the kicker

Back