Keeping rcmp happy

Yes. They are totally different things. This link helps explain it but I’d go through the transport Canada website and follow their links.

The last time we were stopped by the RCMP off Victoria in a friend's boat a few years back, they only asked for his boat registration papers and also his vehicle driver's licence, if he had it with him. Other than that, that time, they were only interested in required safety gear.

It is not a bad idea to get a copy of your registration papers and purchase agreement covered in plastic at the office supply store and leave it on the boat. I also keep my boat operators certificate and ROC-M certificate (Marine VHF) in my wallet.

Last edited:
You need - PCOC card
- Your Boat License "registration"(a registered vessel is different than a licensed vessel)
- Proof of ownership ( best to have a copy of the bill of sale in your name)
- You also need your boat license numbers properly displayed on your boat.
- Correct safety gear for your boat length

NB www.canadianvesselregistry.ca is a private company that charges you for services that are free from Transport Canada

What do you do if you bought the boat from a guy off of CL 10 years ago and don't have a receipt? If the Vessel is registered in your name you should be covered?

Heres a link from the boaters operators course that might be helpful. Note that you have to renew the boat license every ten years

What do you do if you bought the boat from a guy off of CL 10 years ago and don't have a receipt? If the Vessel is registered in your name you should be covered?
You need to have a "declaration of ownership" done.

From Transport Canada

What documents can I use as valid proof of ownership?​

To establish proof of ownership, we accept documents that contain the following information:

• name, address, and signature of previous owner;
  • name and signature of new owner;
  • description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
  • hull serial number (HIN) or compliance label number (if available); and
  • pleasure craft licence number (if already licensed).
Documents that we consider to be valid proof of ownership (depending on the application type) include the following:

• bills of sale
  • statutory declarations
  • wills and bequests
  • separation or divorce agreements
  • court judgments
  • signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)

You need - PCOC card
- Your Boat License "registration"(a registered vessel is different than a licensed vessel)
- Proof of ownership ( best to have a copy of the bill of sale in your name)
- You also need your boat license numbers properly displayed on your boat.
- Correct safety gear for your boat length

NB www.canadianvesselregistry.ca is a private company that charges you for services that are free from Transport Canada
What happens if your out for the day using your buddies boat and he has all the above (in the boat ) and you have your PCOC but not noted on the ownership, do you ...... GO TO JAIL , haha. never had to show proof of ownership on my boat but why would it (or how could it) be registered in my name if I didn't own it ? Maybe just bring your lawyer out with you when you going fishing , just in case ....... hahaha

What happens if your out for the day using your buddies boat and he has all the above (in the boat ) and you have your PCOC but not noted on the ownership, do you ...... GO TO JAIL , haha. never had to show proof of ownership on my boat but why would it (or how could it) be registered in my name if I didn't own it ? Maybe just bring your lawyer out with you when you going fishing , just in case ....... hahaha
Never been asked either, been boating on my own for coming on 40 years and have never been asked. Some boats I’ve had were past down through 2 or 3 bros, I have one now that was given to me by my father, i used it now my sons have used it for years. Proof of ownership would be impossible. In certain situations if they suspect something is up I would think they would ask. Or of you get smart with them and lip them it’s something else they can nail you smart butt with. Not saying I don’t have it in my current boats I do of course but I do have a couple boats that it would be impossible to have.

I ran my previous boat my 20’ Lund for 13 years, never did put the numbers on the hull. I had it registered and had the registration in the boat but I never did put numbers on it. Was all over from Manitoba to the west side of the island many times with that boat and never got questioned on it once.

Never been asked either, been boating on my own for coming on 40 years and have never been asked. Some boats I’ve had were past down through 2 or 3 bros, I have one now that was given to me by my father, i used it now my sons have used it for years. Proof of ownership would be impossible. In certain situations if they suspect something is up I would think they would ask. Or of you get smart with them and lip them it’s something else they can nail you smart butt with. Not saying I don’t have it in my current boats I do of course but I do have a couple boats that it would be impossible to have.

I ran my previous boat my 20’ Lund for 13 years, never did put the numbers on the hull. I had it registered and had the registration in the boat but I never did put numbers on it. Was all over from Manitoba to the west side of the island many times with that boat and never got questioned on it once.

This comes up a few times a year on this site, seems to be a forum issue more them a real issue

Guess I’ve been unlucky because I’ve been asked to provide proof of ownership. It was being filmed by the local news during safe boating week so perhaps that was why they were following the book to the T. At any rate it’s no big deal, I also keep proof of ownership for my truck, so pretty much the same as far as I’m concerned.

I was asked for boat registration one time, I was in a 14 foot tinny off the breakwater in Vic. When I had it with me, the cops were blown away I had it.

I handed the registration to one of the cops, he looked it over and said to the other cop, “look at this, this guy has his boat registration”. They both busted out laughing at the amazement of it. I gathered by their response that it wasn’t common to find that.

I keep a copy of the registration in a ziploc bag in one of those orange safety kit things.

Back