jet/zodiac

squamfish

hi, i am looking to put a jet motor on a 14' zodiak i have, i have a chance at a 60hp outboard/jet, the boat is rated for 50hpmax, i looked up the motor weight and the max motor weight for the boat and it is under by 30lbs, anyone have experience with overpowering a inflatable slightly??

Thanks for any input

Rod

hi, i am looking to put a jet motor on a 14' zodiak i have, i have a chance at a 60hp outboard/jet, the boat is rated for 50hpmax, i looked up the motor weight and the max motor weight for the boat and it is under by 30lbs, anyone have experience with overpowering a inflatable slightly??

Thanks for any input

Rod
I have no real experience but a 60 hp jet outboard is equivalent to a 45 or 50 hp prop outboard so you should be good to go.

I have no real experience but a 60 hp jet outboard is equivalent to a 45 or 50 hp prop outboard so you should be good to go.
That was my thought as well, not so much concerned about over powering, more the weight, but the specs say it is well under so may go for it.

Rod

Is it a RIB or soft bottom? I run a 15hp 2 stroke on my 10' soft bottom, not ridiculous power but when it's trimmed and pinned occupants better not make any abrupt moves! It tends to hook and dig in and do weird ****. If no one moves no one gets hurt!

Is it a RIB or soft bottom? I run a 15hp 2 stroke on my 10' soft bottom, not ridiculous power but when it's trimmed and pinned occupants better not make any abrupt moves! It tends to hook and dig in and do weird ****. If no one moves no one gets hurt!
That's good to know... I was wondering if I should re-tube my Avon rib or buy a Stryker rib or soft bottom. Looks like I will go with the Stryker rib, all those scotty mounts etc. No sense starting another thread now, thanks for posting..

soft bottom,

i dont have a lot of experience with inflatables but would make sense that a rib would be more sensitive and reactive then a inflatable keel

cant have a jet on an inflatable rib v hull. you need a flat bottom boat for a jet.

i dont have a lot of experience with inflatables but would make sense that a rib would be more sensitive and reactive then a inflatable keelI

I would think the rib would be more stable. When I hit waves I can see the whole boat flex as it passes underneath. Between the flex from tubes and a 4 piece floor there’s lots of slop.

Back