Jammed steering

Dan The Man

Went to turn my wheel today and the steering seems to be jammed. It hasnt moved from that position in 6 months. Any tips or tricks to free up the steering?

Dan

Dan,

If it is cable steering the motor end of the cable or tube that the cable goes through may have salt build up or the end of the cable is corroded. Heat up the tube a little and see if you can free it up. If it won't free up replace the cable. If it is hydraulic steering I don't know what to do.

Don

Generally means that it's time to replace the cable.
Dave

its the cable try heating it up if not replace the cable, if you plan on having that boat for a while then think about hydralic steering. this won't happen ever,

Could be in the cable itself, or in the 'tube' on the motor.
You might try moving the motor back and forth manually and see if you can get it to turn.
If it still won't move, then you could try disconnecting the steering cable at the motor.
You would then know if it is the cable or at the motor.

I had the same problem last year, and the problem was in the tube at the motor.
Mechanic dealt with it so don't know exactly what he did to free up the 'piston'.

He did recommend that I stop using whatever grease was handy (usually axle grease) on the piston and use a proper marine water repellent grease.
Cleaned as much of the axle grease out as I could and switched, no problem this year,

Same thing happened last year to me as well, if you store your boat with the stainless steering rod exposed it tends to seize. Some heat and a couple of taps to the end of the rod and it should release. If not, off to the mechanic.

Back