Itchy for hunting yet?

Bring a baseball bat and come to my front yard, Wolf! I saw an 8 ender just this morning eating our roses!

A friend of mine nailed a 185 pound 5 point on the valley.
Score 135 from the taxi :D

Talk about a huge deer for the island.
Did I mention with a bow

Splitshot

A new fishing forum
http://www.sportangler.ca/network/

LOL depends do you live where I can shoot my bow????? Chris .

P.S. thanks for the note the other day.

Wolf

Got back from an extended holiday, as I went guiding as usual, then the wife and I went and spent some $$$ at Cabelas. Then we had to stop and buy a dishwasher as ours crapped out while I was away. All in all it was a great time to get away. I was not planning on guiding this year, but all the clients were repeat and I thought why not, all are good guys to hunt with.

The guiding was the toughest I have experienced. Very little movement and the moose were not very receptive to calling. The two guys I had had been up with me back in 06 and 07 and both had shot their moose on the first day, so maybe deja-vu???

The first night out, I set up at a spot and call for 30 min, nothing, so move onto the next spot and as we get to it, Larry (the client) says he saw something move right behind us. I look and look and finally spot an eyeball and paddle sticking out from the regen, about 50 yards away. I called a couple times and he dissapeared. Next time he pocked half his head out, I got Larry to set up. I thought he was going to shoot him in the head and was about to say don't shoot, when the moose disappeared again. I called a few more times and out he walked. This is the result of a 180 gr Hornady from a 300 SAUM and the moose meeting.
P9290053.jpg

P9290057.jpg

Great little meat bull and one happy hunter. Larry has hunted a total of two hours with me and has two moose to his credit. He joked that his moose were very expensive if paying by the hour:D.

The next two days were very dry and warm, in both the weather and moose. On the 4th day we woke up to -6 and a heavy frost. Off we went to a little spot that has been good to me in the past. After setting up and letting off a couple of love sick cow calls, we sat for 15 min and heard nothing. Then after another set of calls we heard a grunt coming from directly in front of the truck, which was parked on the road, with Larry sleeping in it. Off we go to try to intercept the bull before he scares Larry (he is 69 yo). When we get there, the bull is quite and we cannot find him. Larry is surprised to see us and is half awake, asking what is going on. After a brief talk, I take Blair down the road a bit to see if the bull is trying to circle us. I let out one call and instantly get a responce from a very hot bull as we can hear him crashing through the brush on his way up towards us. He walks out on a lower road and continues to grunt and walk. Then the wind shifts and the bull stoped dead, then turns to run. I grunt really loud and he stops. Off goes Blairs gun and bull just stands there, second shot and still no reaction. I grunt again and look at him through my bino's. Thats when we see steam coming out of his ribs, like vents. He takes a couple steps and falls over.

Here is the results of a 300 win short mag, 180 gr Failsafes and a moose. The failsafes suck in my opinion. Yes they did work, but they "penciled" right through and left min damage. Entrance and exit holes were not much difference, and the lungs were holes, but very little shock damage was done. Maybe that is why they discontinued them. This is a pretty neat bull as he has a third spike growing off his left main beam. Pretty unique!!!

PA020085.jpg

PA020084.jpg

PA060141.jpg

He is a set of sheds that were picked up a couple of years ago. They were found close to where the first bull came from. I believe that a bow hunting client that I was guiding missed this bull at 40 yards with his recurve. Not bad for a canadian moose eh.....
PA110181.jpg

A few picts of the area
PA040120.jpg

PA050135.jpg

P9300069.jpg

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Cool thanks for that great stories.

wolf

Nine</u> down in two days Wolf! [^]
Of course they were Fallow deer though ;)
Biggest buck went 150+ "on the hook", larger than any Island deer I have taken to date. EXCELLENT munchies, and one heck of a way to "tune up" the system before heading out to the real hunting. 1 chest shot (stay AWAY from those horns!), seven head shots and one taken down with simply a knife (Now THAT was interesting!:D). Took 2 days to butcher the lot, and now resting quietly in various freezers.

Next week, the REAL adventure begins! Off to AlleyBertha - muley guidin' then elk and whitetail tags to pursue. Gonna take several weeks this time, and open for just about anything in the way of hunting over there! RIGHT looking forward!

But for the moment, the "itch" has subsided... somewhat... :D

Sitka: Great tale and excellent pix! Certainly got the motor stoked reading that! Thanks!!

Cheers & Straight Shootin' Gentz!
Nog

It all depends on how far did she chase it?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

well 2 weeks left till the big trip

work authorized an extra weeks holidays and the wife say GO

2 week trip

Late season Swamp donkey hunt and 1 week goat hunt..&gt;ROAD TRIP:D

ONE</u> MORE SLEEP!!! [:p]

Five weeks await in the Killing Fields of Alberta! Reports from several of my local Buddies suggest good numbers of LARGE mulies (good for the Yanks) Whitetails (Good for me!! [^]) and even a decent elk or two wandering our usual stomping grounds! Man-O-Man, methinks there is gonna be some FUN with the firesticks!!

Been packed since yesterday, going over the list for the 500th time and pacing. Can't WAIT!!

Hopefully bring back a pix or two for your viewing enjoyment! [}:)]

Straight Shootin' Gentz!

Catch ya'll on the flipside! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Good luck Nog, hopefully we will have some chrome to report on upon your arrival..;)dirty

Well we made it home safe.
Sitka - reading your post of your successful moose hunt makes me envious as hell. Good on you!

After 2-wks of pounding our bikes down hundreds of km's of FSR's and hoofing it up and down game-trails in the East Kootenays' and the Chilko Lk./Taseko R. we came out with DICK!

I know we got to the E.K. late, but still we were both amazed at the absence of animals, or even fresh sign anywhere. We both had WT/antlerless draws and neither filled our tags on a critter that usually swarms the place like rats - admittedly, I did pass on a doe with 2-fawns of the yr., as I figured the little ones would stand a better chance of making through the winter with Mom around...

Our LEH moose foray into Taseko country was even more disappointing from a meat-perspective. We saw one cow 50 yds off the main road on the first day and that was it. Fortunately, the awesome scenery and plenty of Grouse eased the pain.

Not sure what to do for next year. One thing for sure, buddy and I will be seeking new country to Elk hunt in the EK. After 5 yrs in the same place and no bull to show for it... it's time to move on.

Hey LH, I doubt that it will make you feel better but we also got SKUNKAROONIED at Horsefly this year.......... Weather was wet, wet,wet and it was blowing every day which made moose calling somewhat ineffective......... Not as many grouse as I had expected though we did see some and put some in the pot. My buddies from Alberta went on their annual 8 day wall tent hunt North of Edmonton about 10 hours for moose and saw nothing but wolf tracks........ I guess I will be eating salmon and goose (we had an outstanding 5 day hunt 1.5 hours East of Edmonton). Spending my days smoking salmon and making Indian Candy.............:D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I wasnt in edmonton!!!!
quote:North of Edmonton about 10 hours for moose and saw nothing but wolf </u> tracks
LOL

Been hunting locally and going for a trip for an early evening hunt I have passed on a few spikes and a few small forks not seeing alot moving YET hopefully this week

Wolf

there more than just starting it's been brown down for the last three days in a row.Lots a deer moving.

Back