Itchy for hunting yet?

FT: Wow! You should be able to "Reach-out and touch somebody" with that puppy.

Ballistically speaking, I'd imagine it's in the same class as the 7mm/Mag. Right?

Good luck this year to you and your Son.

I got to go back for the "horse" I lost in the fog last year.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

hey clearwaterb a few years ago my dad and i were up in northern b.c. cow calling elk when we were jumped by a silver wolf down hill 30 yards from us just staring at us. i jumped up and tried to chamber a bullet when my gun jammed!@#$* just as this was happening a black wolf the size of a small horse came around the top side of us probably no further than 10 yards away!!!! i **** my pants then continued to chamber a bullet. to no avail. my dad then jumped up and blasted the black wolf and sent it tumbling down the hill as the silver one ran off. after that i realized my clip was not all the way in. needless to say i have always double checked my clip from that day foreward. my dad made a sweet mount of the wolf and made it to his trophy room. so to answer your question in my opinion go for the cow call.:D

I think the itch is here...I am trying to plan a trip to BC/Yukon boarder area :)

Deer or Mountain Goat wont cut it...I need a swamp donkey

Just gotta convince the boss for an extra weeks holidays

:D:D:D
Tomorrow I can take the fishing rod out of my truck gun rack and replace it with the rifle!
Too bad it is going to be 20 + degrees out there.

Tips

Good luck guy's and get home SAFE!

Little over a month to go for me and I know it'll come fast.
My new (used) spotting scope finally arrived (Bausch & Lomb/Elite) and for the $$$ it seems quite good and is small and light so it might actually go with me in my pack. Although this will be a 'late-season' (mid Oct) Elk hunt in the East Kootenays for the first-half of our safari, the weather should be cooler - which I prefer - and who knows, maybe we'll find some spent-bull lying under a tree having a cigarette...

Also wanted to say kudos' to the Google-Earth people for creating such a wonderful piece of software. I've been spending some time over the last few days 'flying' over the area west of Chilko Lk where we have our moose draw.

NEVER BEEN TO THE AREA BEFORE AND I'VE ALREADY GOT OUR CAMPSPOT PICKED OUT!

HOW COOL IS THAT?

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Good luck guy's and get home SAFE!

Also wanted to say kudos' to the Google-Earth people for creating such a wonderful piece of software. I've been spending some time over the last few days 'flying' over the area west of Chilko Lk where we have our moose draw.

NEVER BEEN TO THE AREA BEFORE AND I'VE ALREADY GOT OUR CAMPSPOT PICKED OUT!

HOW COOL IS THAT?

hey terry

You might want to give the caribou Fire Center a call, just to make sure that your area did not get burned over. There was a few fires around Chilko Lake this year. Not sure aboiut how far west you are, but better find out now then when you get up there.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

So anybody have any results yet???

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

So anybody have any results yet???

Well... Sorta...

A few days back (when the weather was still too damn hot) The Itch got to be too much to handle. So, even though all my freezers are capped, I loaded up the bike, and headed uphill towards the trailhead which offers access to the newly snowcapped mountain out the back door. Took my time wandering up there, and upon arrival was more toying with the idea of offloading the bike for a run than actually doing so. Wasn't there 5 minutes, and a movement CLOSE right on the main trail? Studied the shape which materialized into a nice fat 3 point. Hmmmm...
Then more movement, and another buck, a 2 point sidled up beside him, both simply standing there (80 yards) without a care in the world! Snatched up the 270, and studied them for what seemed like forever... Hmmm...

Freezers capped. Too warm to hang them for any length of time. Too early in the season. Too damn easy... To heck with it!
Shaking my head, I ended up tossing the rifle back behind the seat, and simply watching until they wandered out of sight.

Not the first time I've passed by any means, but in a strange kind of way, it actually felt sorta good. Once it gets a tad cooler, and I get the bloody cold smoking (way to many tuna clogging the freezers, and I need colder temps to get the cold-smoking of them out of the way) those two have a very real problem. That day, they didn't! :D

So I guess that sorta qualifies as results Wolf.

Good Luck out there!

Cheers,
Iron

Wow Nog! Passed on a 3-point? With but a meager 5-deer under my belt in my life thus far - I'd have capped the pr!ck.

Leaving this week for a week in the East Koot then off to Chilko Lk/Taseko R for our moose.

CAN'T WAIT... ITCHY AS HELL!

As soon as I got back to Ft McMurray I had a draw for 518 and a hankering for moose meat. Get my ranger 6x6 geared up and out in the bush I go. Three days later no moose seen yet. on the fourth day we come across three moose which appear to be two cows and a calf but not light enough to be sure. Next morning finds us at the spot where we were last year and had two kills. Lots of fresh sign. I run into a young fellow who was hunting in the same area. A chat and a swig of water and three moose cross the trail about 400 yds away. He is all excited and antsy, so I get him settled down and say let's go for a walk and see what is up. When we reach where they crossed we stop and wait, and in very short time two moose appear and stand there looking at us. I make a very low "waugh!" and another moose steps out to look at us.I cannot see any horns but the young man says there are some and I say if they are longer than his ears shoot.
Too much discussing and the moose take off. The young man (Kyle) goes back to his quad and takes off to where he thinks the moose are headed and I just walk down the trail a 100 yds or so and stop.
I can still hear the quad and then about 60 yds from me a cow steps out and her calf joins her, then they leave. I wait thinking the bull is not very far away and what do you know he steps out and stops.
One shot in the boiler room with my .375 H&H and he darts into the bush, I know he is not very far as I heard his last rattle.
Now I sit at the laptop with a winter supply of fresh moose.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Way to go GS!

Good things come to those who wait.

Do you 'roll your own' for your 375' ? Serious cannon there.

Went out yesterday up to deerholme didnt see one deer lots of tracks but no deer rather depressing!!!came home with a load of firewood and 3 bucketfulls of chantrelles so hunting for mushrooms was great !!!!LOL
5 and a bit weeks till I go to sask then ill see lots of deer.

Wolf

One more sleep!

'Murphy' showed up at the last minute.

Had to put a new rad in the old 'Mo-ho'. Of course, while I was in that process I managed to break off one of the tranny lines AND one of the outlet nipples on my - brand new/installed in Aug - heater core. So she has ANOTHER new heater-core as well.

On what is already a low-budget trip - this hurt!

ONWARD!

Hey lil hawk I do roll my own and have for the past 35 yrs. It is lots of fun a bit cheaper and you can roll some better stuf than factory.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

GS: Way cool! I'm new to re-loading for just a few yrs but have quickly realized the benefits and yes I agree you can save a buck or two and tailor a round that your gun likes and shoots straighter.

I went out on a limb a few yrs back and bought 400 Barnes 'X' 30/cal 180/grn boattails on ebay... dirt-cheap from a guy in Colorado. Fortunately my old (late 60's) Remmington Odd-six likes them, but only after a lot of experimenting with powders and seating-depth etc.

TODAY IS THE BIG DAY! BLAST-0FF FOR THE EAST KOOTENAY'S THEN NORTH TO CHILKO LK/TASEKO R. AREA FOR THE LAST WEEK OF OCT.

AM I PUMPED OR WHAT?

Went back into deerholme and ***** footed (ok wrong choice for me LOL)into one of my old fav areas All to my self never saw one deer????WTF I havent heard of many people getting them this year??wonder why??? very weird and usually by this time the bucks near town here are thinking about rutting saw a nice buck yesterday all byhimself off of interurban last night just feeding away with no concern????VERY WEIRD year.

Guy at the gate said there has only been 6 deer out all season(ones that he has heard and seen about)

Got a load of wood and more cahantrelles thats it.

Maybe next week??

Wolf

Back