islander or rapala

sss

Brother in law is turning 50 in few months. He been talking about getting an islander. Read some chatter about the rapala north island series. Just wondering if my brother in law is worth the extra $200 for the islander or is the rapala good enough. Any opinons would be welcomed.

Try a Trophy QR, If we cant blow them up it says something....

x2 ....we have totally abused these reels for 2 years and can't seem to blow them up
I actually like the drap system far better than the islander...

x3.....I really like them for the dollar value. I do enjoy fishing with an MR3 as well.....but I have enjoyed my first year with the Trophy QR. You'll have money left over to buy yourself and maybe even him a beer!!!!

The "list price" on them is apparently $400.00 but Berry's Father's Day sale had them on for $199 last year.

X4 on the tyee got 4 of them now and really like them. alot

good luck Wolf

sss......use the search function on the site as there is a somewhat lengthy thread that covers the Rapala. It's a good looking reel.......but from what I have read thus far I wouldn't spend my money on one. Just an opinion without first hand knowledge.

From personal experience the Rapala is a far inferior reel. Blew two new ones up on the first trip to the WCVI last spring. Running 4 Tyee's
and have yet to have a problem. Rapala has recently began supplying an additional spring kit with each new reel. Tells me what to expect.

I have a Trophy QR and an Islander. Both are great reels. I would save a few bucks and get him the Trophy :)

I have Islanders and love them, and understood the Trophy and the Rapala are less expensive and there are some who believe they are an inferior product. I think the point though is that your bro in law obviously likes the islander quality, reputation etc, enough to noise his interest in same, and if you buy him anything less, well ..... ouch. Buy him the reel, or team up with another and buy him the thing he wants. Several of the dealers will deal you the prior "sale price" to make it more affordable if you ask the boss man of such store. I got mine from Gone Fishin and the price was killer. Dont make this bro in law curse you when fighting a spring with a less than first cabin piece of equipment. good luck. DAJ

What i dont like about the m-3 is the line creep cmon a $600 reel and it creeps and they dont fix the problem sorry to say thats just bad. I can get almost 3 reels for the price of one islander easy decision to make.been running them for 5 years now and a lot of use no problem!!! if it can with stand my punishment and survive im impressed...

just my 2 cents

Also i did a thread on changing the handles over to islander paddles and made the reel even better just search for it its on here somewheree??

Good luck Wolf

Of course i have no quarrel with those who can afford several hundred bucks or more for a reel or rod, however, i whipped many a Spring on an old Peetz or a newer (20 ish years back) 40 dollar Daiwa. I did not even feel disadvantaged when my buddy bought a couple Islanders. They were nice of course but did not really improve my fishing experience in a huge way cause i just like being out and i may have had to work a bit harder than him but i have not lost any that i could blame on my reel.
When i knew i would soon need to replace the water pump on my outboard and get a new battery that 500 buck reel was a non starter.

I drive my old pickup and would sure enough like a new one but......

I agree, i have used all kinds of reels for salmon fishing and although the islanders are nice, they are not worth 600 bucks IMO.
Other than the odd exploding spool (4000GT) my Shimano's are bullet proof.

LOL LOL we all have the "wanties" then reality sets in.....I may be selling 2 of mine with the convertied handls as I got 2 of the new "BLUE" colored tyees to match my boat .... see wanties!!!! LOL

the cork drag in the island free wheels once it is wet. very handy for a fishing reel!! shimano gt 2000 is a good bet for your money not pretty mind ya. i belive Ross is making a nice moocher now might be worth checking out.

Prawnhunter I am curious to look at the Ross mocching reel you mention. Do you have any info/links on it?

I looked on the Ross website and they didn't have anything about it.

Just on a side note.........talking about mooching reels; apparently LOOP is coming out with one but much like the Islander I bet it's going to be pretty costly.

Back