Island Timberlands Rally at The Hump

As most know, I am among many feeling this is an extremely important topic. IT (and others) have merrily locked us damn near completely out of the back country here, and now employs "Security Teams" with jack-boot mentalities to patrol their areas. This has been a MAJOR blow not only to those folks who live here largely due to the fact they live in a Paradise of sorts. A Paradise that is being chewed up beyond recognition at an ever increasing rate, and a Paradise they now are barred from even a casual visit.

I found it fairly surprising to determine this particular event simply came about due to the MLA's willingness to meet with a couple of the local effected clubs. From there, what transpired today was largely via word of mouth. Given that, the turn out was rather refreshing. Were such a rally to be afforded a wider (and targeted) broadcast, I suspect the number attending could be substantially higher.

I think Scott Fraser was pleasantly surprised at the numbers as well. I did have to occasion to chat with him for a few moments, and he is quite welcome to the notion of conducting another, much more organized rally down the road. To that end I will be following up with him soon. Any and all ideas anyone would like to share in this regard would be most welcome!

My thought is that the timing couldn't be a whole lot better. Given an impending May election, it might be a fruitful idea to make this an election issue of sorts. It is rather obvious the local support is there for such an approach. Anyone care to offer thoughts on this??

Anyway, a surprisingly good report. I half expected a dozen bedraggled folks waving a tattered sign under the falling snows. It would appear this topic is as important to great many others as it is to myself!

Cheers,
Nog

Great turnout!

I'll bet Gordon Johns our NDP MP who has an office in Port Alberni wasn't there. :rolleyes:

Awesome turnout. Ill be interested in any future event or organizations developed in the future on this issue.

Gord should have been there!

Thanks to all who showed up. Seems the snow didnt scare others off like it did me! Its not just IT that is cutting us off from access that we have had for 150 years-- ALL of the companies who now own the E&N lands are treating the public this way. While Region 1 of the BCWF has been attempting to get the gates opened on the south Island , this is a ISLAND problem that hopefully we can make into a LARGE election issue.

This petition seams to be about areas around port alblerni but as we all know the issue is common on the island everywhere south of CR. How much of what Scott spoke if applies to all the other areas on the island that are gated? How does the issue apply to actual private land that is used strictly for forestry? There are more than one company on the island owning land primarily used for forestry.

Its amazing that all of the other provinces has legislation to stop gating but does that legislation apply to private forestry property. I know for certain in other countries it does.

To my knowledge the laws were changed 2o or more years ago. I'm no lawyer but I have extensively researched the legal rulings. This is my understanding of the laws regarding public roadways and public easements.

If the roadway at any time had used public funds for maintenance, construction or for any reason other than snow removal it remains a public roadway in perpetuity.

If the roadway was used by the public for 20 years or more before the law was changed it remains public and the public still has the right to access it. Regardless of the amount of time it has not been open to the public after the law was changed the public's rights are never extinguished.

The laws are very complicated, so this is a very simplistic summary of my understanding of the law as it stands today. The law was re-written many years ago to strengthen land owners rights over the public's access rights. Many things can affect each individual case

From watching the video it was explained that it was actually made a legal stipulation to maintain public access to lands in the Alberni Valley when the lands were transferred out of the tree farm license.

It would seem to me if someone showed up with a bulldozer and took out every gate the company wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on if they tried to have them charged as they were legally mandated to preserve public access in the transfer agreement. Of course I'm not advising anyone to do that, but it would sure be fun to see.

It was nice to see the great turn out at the rally. Good on everyone that attended.

Last edited:
There have been many voices that have watched this slow walk to the takeover of our resources. Here is a link to a website that I follow that marks the process.
https://in-sights.ca/category/forestry/

Omg. That response was not what I wanted to hear. So if a river is high, lock the gate, if it's a bit dry lock the gate, if there is to much snow lock the gate. If a rock fell on a road the other day lock the gate. And on and on.....

Most of the people in that parliament seamed to support that other guy(not Scott). That was aweful!

Hopefully that exchange is enough to light a fire under some asses of more interested people.

Back