Island Timberlands Rally at The Hump

IronNoggin

There will be a Protest Rally on this coming Sunday (26 February) at 10:00am at the top of the Hump showing Island Timberland how the people of this community feel about the loss of access to our natural resources. We stand to loose more and more if we don't show up in strength and tell them what we think of our loss of access. Under a new impending ITL Access Policy we will loose even more... BE THERE IF YOU CARE!!!

And of course there is the related Petition. Might not do anything to persuade ITL to change their ways, but is a good indication of the numbers effected & pissed off at their actions: https://www.change.org/p/island-timberlands-keep-the-gates-open-its-everyones-land-to-enjoy

Personally I am more than tired of Island Timberlands lack of communication, misleading communication, and the emplacement of ever increasing numbers of gates. I am also more than a little jaded being told the reasons they do this is to reduce vandalism and for safety. Really? Then why gate every single road when there are NO men nor equipment behind them? Seems more likely that they simply do not want the public becoming aware of the CARNAGE they are inflicting on the landscapes behind those gates.

More eyes out there equal more potential witnesses to dumping and other infractions. There are ways to monitor traffic into and out of these areas, and some are actually quite inexpensive. More and more people are getting frustrated with IT's action in this regard, and you can obviously count me as one of those. Get with the program and get us back on-side! While I don't support sawing through gates / locks to gain access, I don't find it hard to understand the "Why".

As a side note to IT - you might want to have a word with your jack-booted security teams. Attitudes like those a great many display are causing REAL Friction out there, and will end up with eventual negative consequences...

Losing over 85% of the areas I used to camp, fish & hunt in to this nonsense has been BRUTAL on those activities.
Being locked in twice (when IT's staff saw me go in and simply waved) was pretty much the icing on the cake for me.
I will NOT support them in any way shape or form.
Time to make a stand...

See you at the Rally...
icon_wink.gif

Nog

Hi Nog.

I fully support your aims. I just can see little exposure in the media resulting from a rally at that location (other than the local Alberni news outlets). To me, if you want any substantive change in their policies you need to hold rallies that will raise public awareness with larger media exposure. I hate to seem critical of the tack you are taking. However convenient a rally at the hump might be, it seems unlikely to gain widespread mainstream media exposure.

To me the most effective way to get change is a 3 fold prong of attack.

1 - get widespread media exposure
2 - it's an election year - pin all candidates down in public on their position on public access. Preferably on camera with rallies at public candidate meetings.
3 - Most important - hit Island Timberland where it hurts - their profits.

The rallies should be designed to disrupt Island Timberland's business, get media exposure, and put pressure on candidates up for election. All day "rallies" blocking access to Island Timberland's active logging spurs would get media exposure and cost Island Timberland money by disrupting their logging operations. Perhaps Island Timberland would rethink their policy if they got a taste of their own medicine, and logging trucks and work crews were blocked from accessing their active logging sites.

I apologize if I seem like I'm criticizing you. I'm only trying to help with some ideas that you may want to consider to help change IT's policies. From many years involved in the labour movement, it has always been my experience that companies will not change their policies unless it starts to affect their bottom line. You have to hit them in the pocket book to get them to change. Reduce their manpower productivity and profit margin and most companies see the benefit of change. Without that kind of pressure on the company involved they will rarely change corporate policy. Consumer boycots are another extremely effective method, but I do not know if Island Timberland mills and produces it's own line of finished lumber for sale at the retail level.

Just my thoughts on some ways to pressure a change in policy. Thank you Nog, for trying to help all the sportsmen (and ladies) on the Island gain better access rights to our land. Please don't ever stop being you. We desperately need guys like you to keep corporations and our govt from ruining our way of life in our great Province.

Thank you so much for your efforts.

Petition signed.

Last edited:
Where is this HUMP? Pretty short notice.

Spoken like a true activist there big guy. The agent could not have put it better himself. lol But this time I'm on board!

Spoken like a true activist there big guy. The agent could not have put it better himself. lol But this time I'm on board!

The HUMP is the top of highway 4 where the trucks pull off to do break checks between whiskey creek and port alberni.

Thanks for the compliment. Glad to here your onboard. If I was on the island I would gladly attend. Our system is far from perfect, but at least we have the right to hold public demonstrations in Canada. It is one of our greatest rights, along with free speech. Sometimes "right" does win out over "might" if you're persistent and vocal enough.

All great advise Big Guy.
I will try to pass this along to whoever is "organizing" this thing.
Can't seem to pin that down, although I do know the MLA, Mayor, Media and IT will be on site.

Also going to suggest a much wider broadcast and targeting certain folks for attendance.
Most I have chatted with knew nothing of this until I brought it up.
Seems a poor way to deal with such a huge issue IMHO...

I'll be there regardless. Hope a few others can make it too...

Cheers,
Nog

All great advise Big Guy.
I will try to pass this along to whoever is "organizing" this thing.
Can't seem to pin that down, although I do know the MLA, Mayor, Media and IT will be on site.

Also going to suggest a much wider broadcast and targeting certain folks for attendance.
Most I have chatted with knew nothing of this until I brought it up.
Seems a poor way to deal with such a huge issue IMHO...

I'll be there regardless. Hope a few others can make it too...

Cheers,
Nog
I hope you have a good turn out at the rally Nog.

Does Island Timberland produce finished lumber for retail sales? Because a targeted boycott of their products might be a whole lot easier than trying to find volunteers to risk arrest for blockading their logging roads. A little news coverage and volunteers handing out leaflets at the big lumber sales outlets would be all that is required to get a boycott of their finished products rolling. If they do not produce finished lumber products for retail sales, then it would definitely require a very dedicated core of volunteers to impact IT's harvesting operations. The boycott route would seem far less risky for all involved, but blockades get the widespread media exposure you need.

Good luck, and I hope this starts to gain momentum. The timing is definitely right for a push back on public access rights with the Douglas Lake Ranch case in the courts right now. Perhaps timing further demonstrations for the day the Douglas Lake Cattle Company legal ruling is to be released would help gain widespread media coverage on the Island Timberland's access battle. The day the DLCC ruling is released the topic will definitely be in the news spotlight, and it should draw the cameras to any demonstrations timed to coincide with the ruling from the courts.

Just more food for thought.

I hope you have a good turn out at the rally Nog.

Does Island Timberland produce finished lumber for retail sales? Because a targeted boycott of their products might be a whole lot easier than trying to find volunteers to risk arrest for blockading their logging roads. A little news coverage and volunteers handing out leaflets at the big lumber sales outlets would be all that is required to get a boycott of their finished products rolling. If they do not produce finished lumber products for retail sales, then it would definitely require a very dedicated core of volunteers to impact IT's harvesting operations. The boycott route would seem far less risky for all involved, but blockades get the widespread media exposure you need.

Good luck, and I hope this starts to gain momentum. The timing is definitely right for a push back on public access rights with the Douglas Lake Ranch case in the courts right now. Perhaps timing further demonstrations for the day the Douglas Lake Cattle Company legal ruling is to be released would help gain widespread media coverage on the Island Timberland's access battle. The day the DLCC ruling is released the topic will definitely be in the news spotlight, and it should draw the cameras to any demonstrations timed to coincide with the ruling from the courts.

Just more food for thought.

IT sells timber on the open market, typically the lower quality and the higher quality logs are all exported. They do not mill or have any of there timber milled. These TFL's that the companies own were all part of the TFL's of the past where the companies got them or bought them? From
The crown to have access to timber for their mills, some where in the past these lands some how became export cash cows for the companies and they no longer had to manufacture the logs or a certain % to keep the TFL, as well stumpage is different from these lands back to the crown, if any. I am sure there will be someone that knows the actual logistics of all of this from the past of how these lands became privately owned and how the companies no longer have to manufacture a certain amount of the timber removed and are allowed to export the bulk of timber. I believe most of the companies on the island are also mainly offshore owned or investment owned, which is why they need to produce to keep the money moving. Hence why they don't want the public on there lands as it isn't about access to them as much as it is money to investors.

IT sells timber on the open market, typically the lower quality and the higher quality logs are all exported. They do not mill or have any of there timber milled. These TFL's that the companies own were all part of the TFL's of the past where the companies got them or bought them? From
The crown to have access to timber for their mills, some where in the past these lands some how became export cash cows for the companies and they no longer had to manufacture the logs or a certain % to keep the TFL, as well stumpage is different from these lands back to the crown, if any. I am sure there will be someone that knows the actual logistics of all of this from the past of how these lands became privately owned and how the companies no longer have to manufacture a certain amount of the timber removed and are allowed to export the bulk of timber. I believe most of the companies on the island are also mainly offshore owned or investment owned, which is why they need to produce to keep the money moving. Hence why they don't want the public on there lands as it isn't about access to them as much as it is money to investors.
Very sad state of affairs. Such a poor return on our public resources.

Very sad state of affairs. Such a poor return on our public resources.

Good return for there investors, they make money off the timber and then they will eventually remove the lands from the TFL's and sell it back to the public once it isn't worth growing timber anymore. Buy something for pennies an acre and sell for market value once the land is needed for urban sprawl. Win win for the companies and we the people of the island lose over and over. Thank the gov't of past and present!

Maybe this rally will get info to the public and these rallies will grow to
Other areas as it isn't just Port going through these issues. If I could be there I would.
Keep us posted Nog.

Maybe this rally will get info to the public and these rallies will grow to
Other areas as it isn't just Port going through these issues. If I could be there I would.
Keep us posted Nog.

This event could be for sure the match that lights the fire on this issue. Let's hope.
I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

There will be a Protest Rally on this coming Sunday (26 February) at 10:00am at the top of the Hump showing Island Timberland how the people of this community feel about the loss of access to our natural resources. We stand to loose more and more if we don't show up in strength and tell them what we think of our loss of access. Under a new impending ITL Access Policy we will loose even more... BE THERE IF YOU CARE!!!

And of course there is the related Petition. Might not do anything to persuade ITL to change their ways, but is a good indication of the numbers effected & pissed off at their actions: https://www.change.org/p/island-timberlands-keep-the-gates-open-its-everyones-land-to-enjoy

Personally I am more than tired of Island Timberlands lack of communication, misleading communication, and the emplacement of ever increasing numbers of gates. I am also more than a little jaded being told the reasons they do this is to reduce vandalism and for safety. Really? Then why gate every single road when there are NO men nor equipment behind them? Seems more likely that they simply do not want the public becoming aware of the CARNAGE they are inflicting on the landscapes behind those gates.

More eyes out there equal more potential witnesses to dumping and other infractions. There are ways to monitor traffic into and out of these areas, and some are actually quite inexpensive. More and more people are getting frustrated with IT's action in this regard, and you can obviously count me as one of those. Get with the program and get us back on-side! While I don't support sawing through gates / locks to gain access, I don't find it hard to understand the "Why".

As a side note to IT - you might want to have a word with your jack-booted security teams. Attitudes like those a great many display are causing REAL Friction out there, and will end up with eventual negative consequences...

Losing over 85% of the areas I used to camp, fish & hunt in to this nonsense has been BRUTAL on those activities.
Being locked in twice (when IT's staff saw me go in and simply waved) was pretty much the icing on the cake for me.
I will NOT support them in any way shape or form.
Time to make a stand...

See you at the Rally...
icon_wink.gif

Nog

Sorry, just read this. I would have been there. Just wondering if we had a contact email list for future gatherings might be helpful?

Well then, just back in...

Given the near complete lack of advertising this function had, the turn-out was pretty much amazing.
We arrived right on time, and had to walk damn near a kilometer away due to the number of vehicles lining each side of the main road, and extending back on the two intersecting logging mains damn near the same distance! Vehicle count was damn near 400!!

Park_1.jpg

Park_3.jpg

Park_4.jpg

Park_5.jpg

Park_2.jpg

Although you could damn near feel the underlying tension, the crowd was not at all unruly whatsoever. Nice to see so many familiar faces in the mix!! Don't rightly know the numbers, but I'd hazard a guess at over 750. Even on pan, the camera could not hope to capture them all at the central focus:

Crowd_2.jpg

I would hazard a guess the numbers came reasonably close to rivaling the protest in Victoria over the Allocation issue last year!

As was announced, MLA Scott Fraser did indeed show, and seconds before him a CHEK news team wandered in. Interestingly, the RCMP did a slow drive by at about the same time, waved, honked once or twice, and drove off towards town. Chris Alemany from the town council showed too, but the Mayor was missing in action. And of course there was no-one who would admit to being associated with Island Timberlands, however it is suspected they likely had spies implanted within the crowd.

MLA Fraser gave a rather rousing speech to much applause, and circulated the Petition he intends to drop in the house tomorrow. Get thee hence and sign online if you already haven't!!

https://www.change.org/p/island-timberlands-keep-the-gates-open-its-everyones-land-to-enjoy

Many of those passing by, including Big Rigs and even the odd Logging Truck wailed on their horns in support. Great to see!

That was followed by the town Councillor, and a handful of local folks offering their points of view on the matter. Most focused on the loss of their backyard, and indeed their Heritage as a result of IT's gates. Frustration was pretty much a common theme here, and especially among those reporting about being locked in behind those gates (been there!). Some focused on the fact that IT has now gone so far as to block access to Parks of all things, as well as blocking alternate routes out of the valley they were legislated to keep open.

Overall I thought things went quite smoothly, and it will be a little tougher for IT to simply brush off the level of discontent with their actions when voiced by so many.

CHEK will be doing a story on this. Did not get when, but quite likely today. I'll try and find the link when they do and post it here.

Continued...

Back