Int'l Pacific Halibut Commission Annual Meeting - Victoria, Mon thru Fri

I agree with the 6 annual limit...but what I don't agree with is leaving fish in the water at the end of the year, that will come to bite us in the butt, so if you combine a 6 annual and 1/1, you're looking at leaving 100,000lbs of halibut in the water!!! I'd still have that over max size limit, but either one of those suck. I like the idea of the shoulder season 1/2 and main season 1/1 IF, AND ONLY IF, 1/2 with slot all year is not viable.

Hi Searun

Is anyone going to answer my question posed 5 times? When are where is this board meeting and can the public attend? Searun, you seem to know quite a bit, I'm sure you have the answer to my question.
After search DFO site all I could find is Richmond this weekend and yes it's open to the public. I will dig deeper if you want.

Perhaps Sheraton 4 Points but phone fist as this is where other dfo meetings in the past has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the 6 annual limit...but what I don't agree with is leaving fish in the water at the end of the year, that will come to bite us in the butt, so if you combine a 6 annual and 1/1, you're looking at leaving 100,000lbs of halibut in the water!!! I'd still have that over max size limit, but either one of those suck. I like the idea of the shoulder season 1/2 and main season 1/1 IF, AND ONLY IF, 1/2 with slot all year is not viable.

Why can't it be 1/2 all year with a 6 per angler limit? Is there not enough TAC for that?

According to DFO estimates there isn't. With a shoulder 1/2 and 1/1 july aug we would leave 50,000 in the water and the season would end december 31st according to their estimates. With just a 1/1 we would leave 112,000lbs in the water with season ending December 31st, yet some involved in the process are still suggesting taking just a 1/1 and having DFO promise a Oct. 15th closure date...like what!?!?! There is NO CHANCE we go over our TAC before that, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I'd prefer a shorter season like March-October and 1/2 with the 6 limit. 1/1 sucks if you don't live within driving distance of the halibut grounds.

It's less than one fish a month, and you don't have to take them all .
Yes - but some do. And if you're not going to take them all, then a lower annual limit would be fine. Even with a large family, I can't imagine needing 10 for the year. In my experience, the guys who would hit those very large harvest limits are the older, retired guys who fish a lot and give much of their fish away to friends, family and neighbors.

X2
a slot and an annual limit of 6 is rediculous ,

fd

No way I would ever agree to the annual limit of 5-6 fish and not a chance where only 3 could be over the slot size. As i have stated many times on here I do not keep unders, only if they are hookd to bad which hasn't been a problem for me or my friends who fish and feel the same way I do! As for the slot which you think is so good, I do not. It fits well for the swiftsure offshore guides in that they can go out there catch their ping pong rackets and get onto the salmon fishing. Probably saves them more money where they are only targeting hallys 1 day and pound salmon and other groundfish for the rest of the charter. It still baffels me with this slot, correct me if I am wrong but these fish are not even in the exploitable biomass where our tac comes from, they are still to small to qualify. Just make it 1/1, no size limit, done, surely that has to save the quota poundage, and please spare me the out of towners who come only for 1 trip a year, so having them being able to keep 1 more 12 lb fish makes the trip complete I hardly think so.

What's wrong with leaving fish in the water? Politics aside and assuming your numbers are correct, it seems like a logical solution to a shrinking stock, no? Surely 100,000lbs would multiply and be much more than that in a few years?

You can't say "politics aside"...it doesn't work like that. Look at next year and DFO will say look you had a successful season and you didn't need all of your quota! That's dangerous. While if we were able to transfer that over to our catch next year, that'd be fine...but what if the commies dig into that 100,000 with some overage? Then we are SOL. Like any division in a corporation, they have a budget, and often if you don't use up that whole budget you are trimmed of that for the following year (essentially a use it or lose it)

What's wrong with leaving fish in the water? Politics aside and assuming your numbers are correct, it seems like a logical solution to a shrinking stock, no? Surely 100,000lbs would multiply and be much more than that in a few years?

Not going to lie.

I have been thinking on this question for a few weeks now. Other than the standard old BS that if we do not use it they will give us less the next time. I am stumped. That reason along with any other I have heard to date is nothing more than another symptom of the greater problem that has got us to this situation we find ourselves in.

Lots of debate here and many different opinions. The screws are getting turned,some people are feeling it more than others but one thing I am certain of is this.

Until people get as dedicated to seeing the END of the current ITQ system as they are about discussing how we should or in most cases should not have our season ran, we will only be repeating this BS year after year.The only thing that will change is how much worse it is each year.

And Yes I understand fully that at this point, this year, we are at a place where making good suggestions as to how we would like our season to look is the best we can do for 2013. So as said By others, I am glad we have smart dedicated people working on our behalf to make the call. It is very clear nothing in our choices is going to please everyone and the best of nothing but bad is the best we have this year.

I also disagree fully with being able to carry over un fished quota. Should not be allowed in commercial and don,t think it belongs in the rec .It is that way of thinking that needs to change if we are going see long term stability for our grand kids and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way 1/1 all year is completely unnecessary. Do a 1/2 shoulder then 1/1 july august, that makes it no different to the resident angler, and helps out people who guide full time as more incentive for people to book shoulder season trips, plus keeps 50,000lbs of halibut in the water...win win win win.

Either way 1/1 all year is completely unnecessary. Do a 1/2 shoulder then 1/1 july august, that makes it no different to the resident angler, and helps out people who guide full time as more incentive for people to book shoulder season trips, plus keeps 50,000lbs of halibut in the water...win win win win.

Agree this dose appear to the best of the options presented. I don't care for the idea of getting out to the west coast in AUG and finding salmon sucks and being held to one Hali,but in the interest of extending season and providing the most possible opportunity within our TAC I do think this is the best choice.

That said the unknown of angler effort shifting and no slot is concerning but not proven until tested.

Definitely not in favor of a size restriction on both fish under any circumstance.

We used to sell our un caught quota to the commercial guys. Could do that again and build up a legal fund to fight DFO.

Unfortunately the money raised from this practice years ago was spent preserving a 2/3 season those first couple years it was in jeopardy. That lead us to where we are today.

Sorry if this sounds abrupt or confrontational as I realize this is your opinion and well, here is mine.

What possible motive could you have for supporting and encouraging the continuation of the ITQ as it is. How could this help long term in any way.

It can not that's how

Just say no to buying quota
Just say no to selling quota
Just say no to ITQ

Yes - but some do. And if you're not going to take them all, then a lower annual limit would be fine. Even with a large family, I can't imagine needing 10 for the year. In my experience, the guys who would hit those very large harvest limits are the older, retired guys who fish a lot and give much of their fish away to friends, family and neighbors.

I hear what you're saying and respect your opinion BUT .....
Once there is an annual quota established, it will be there forever.
As you know catch limits rarely , if ever go up.

So if you start with a 5 fish annual limit now, it will only go in one direction from there,
and it won't be up.

I'm not for it either jencourt I was just putting it out there and reminding people it was the sport sector who first sold quota to the commercials and it was the SFAC (i pressume) we so wisely trust who thought it was a good idea to use said funds and buy back from the commercials.

If we go thus route ever again it's my opinion money raised should be used to fight the system not buy more quota while buying into the crazy quota transfer system at the same time.

Craven is correct 5 is too low for guys who live close to the resource. It's easy to get around though I'll just have to take more people fishing and mark on their license. It sucks though sometimes I like to go out solo after work and if I catch one I want to keep it. Nothing like Hali fishing in your underwear on a beautiful August evening.

Just a question whose quota does poaching come from? If a guy has his 5 already and takes a 6th that better not come out of the rec TAC its not our fault some break the rules those could be commercial or native fish that are being poached.

I'm not a fan of the "use it or lose it argument" because its based on paranoia of losing an opportunity rather than saving it for the following year. There is nothing wrong with leaving fish in the sea, *unless* there is a problem farther up the food chain that can't support it (herring stock etc comes to mind). Natures best freezer is the ocean, where you can go get it when you need it. For a politics argument, maybe someone from the west coast here should run for office and a fishery cabinet seat... that person would likely have my vote.

Perhaps such conservative freezer rules should apply to the commercial sector as well. How many thousands of pounds of Halibut are in grocery store freezers right now from last years catch thawing out? With this years season opening soon, who wants last years frozen fish, and at what discount? Its a supply/demand overage that could be monitored. It should be the same in sports and commercial... use what you get, don't take more than you need and above all save something for next year.

After search DFO site all I could find is Richmond this weekend and yes it's open to the public. I will dig deeper if you want.

Perhaps Sheraton 4 Points but phone fist as this is where other dfo meetings in the past has happened.

Better head for the ferry, Jerry

Back