Interaction With Freighter... Who's Right?

Rain City

Crew Member
So I'm heading away from the pack last week and just looking for some open space to not catch fish. I was just off the pink in 100 feet of water when I decided to head towards QB. At that point I MIGHT have been skirting the navigation channel but not likely, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. I see a freighter heading out from under the bridge but pay no real attention because the entire harbor is clear, plenty of room to go inside. Right away he gives me a long blast so I change course and head straight towards shore. He veers to starboard even more. Then he gives me 5 huge blasts so I gun it. I'm now doing 8 mph with gear out clearly heading immediately to shore. Nothing more I can do whatsoever. He proceeds to maintain his course and gives me 5 more huge blasts as he crosses behind me about 200 feet away at full steam. I didn't know what the hell to think. I was pissed off but thought to myself that no way I'd get any support here so why ask, especially after the interactions on the reports page. But the more I think about it I can't help but think I did everything I could. He went well North of the QB which made no sense to me. Is that a normal route they take?
20201003_084901.jpg

Outbound traffic lane is to the north of QB, inbound is to the south. QB delineates the lanes. They moved QB to the north a bit a year or so ago. I understand that was to facilitate an easier approach for inbound traffic, so they would not have to make such an “S” turn coming through the narrows. In the result, there is less room for outbound commercial traffic between the QB and the shallow water off Dundarave.

Outbound traffic lane is to the north of QB, inbound is to the south. QB delineates the lanes. They moved QB to the north a bit a year or so ago. I understand that was to facilitate an easier approach for inbound traffic, so they would not have to make such an “S” turn coming through the narrows. In the result, there is less room for outbound commercial traffic between the QB and the shallow water off Dundarave.
That definitely seems odd to me. That's so tight to shore. The lines on the charts also suggest that they don't do that. Not that I'm doubting what you're saying though. I just never would have thought to cut South in that situation.

If I'm reading this right, you turned to starboard across his bow and his red (port) light. I'm assuming there is a pilot in charge and he/she didn't like your choice so you got some extra blasts.

If I'm reading this right, you turned to starboard across his bow and his red (port) light. I'm assuming there is a pilot in charge and he/she didn't like your choice so you got some extra blasts.
When I made the turn he was at the river mouth and I was 500 yards from the QB marker. I wouldn't say there was any way from that distance that I could determine his heading. I made the turn oustide of the marked navigation channel and made it obvious and immediate. I also have working AIS so he could clearly see my intentions. He was a mile away.
Screenshot_20201003-103408_Boating HD.jpg

So he indicated he was moving to starboard. That was what the single long horn meant.

It is being piloted,so the pilot is in charge would make the call the course to take based on the vessel/current tide. Obviously too the vessel eyes you were close, or they didn't understand your course change after he made the starboard correction. . 5 short blasts your standing in danger/unsure of your intentions , so you did right things and got out of the way. He was just indicated he wasn't sure of course change and too stay clear.

These things are like a rhino in water and can't stop as you know. Probably just staying cautious.

So he indicated he was moving to starboard. That was what the single long horn meant.

It is being piloted,so the pilot is in charge would make the call the course to take based on the vessel/current tide. Obviously too the vessel eyes you were close, or they didn't understand your course change after he made the starboard correction. . 5 short blasts your standing in danger/unsure of your intentions , so you did right things and got out of the way. He was just indicated he wasn't sure of course change and too stay clear.

These things are like a rhino in water and can't stop as you know. Probably just staying cautious.
Oh I had no idea that's what that meant thank you! Ok well in that case it makes perfect sense. He was saying "keep your heading I'm turning to Starboard" and I screwed up. I definitely respect their right of way and don't ever intend on playing chicken with them that's for sure.

He could have also meant he was entering in the channel approach as it say above. Yeah it gets tricky on mainland I imagine lots of commercial vehicles going in/out.

They are pain in butt off Victoria when hali anchoring, but most are great.

He could have also meant he was entering in the channel approach as it say above. Yeah it gets tricky on mainland I imagine lots of commercial vehicles going in/out.

They are pain in butt off Victoria when anchoring, but most are great.
There certainly is and I'm used to it. Generally they give the shore to the cruisers and fisherman and keep to the center of the harbor. That's what irked me about this one, never seen a vessel that close to shore before. Almost felt like he was bullying me lol.

So those sound signals are for narrow channels, I doubt he would use those in the case above, the single whistle is to indicate altering to starboard so you altering to his starboard your port was the wrong move. if you had kept to stb would be fine the 5 is short is that your intentions are unclear so whatever you can do to get out of the way. 2 short is altering to port.

So those sound signals are for narrow channels, I doubt he would use those in the case above, the single whistle is to indicate altering to starboard so you altering to his starboard your port was the wrong move. if you had kept to stb would be fine the 5 is short is that your intentions are unclear so whatever you can do to get out of the way. 2 short is altering to port.
Ok beauty thanks. That's much simpler.

When I am fishing heavy traffic areas such as Van Hbr or NArm to Sandheads, I monitor MCTS ch. 12 in addition to 16. Then I always know well ahead of time what commercial vessels are in and outbound, and can plan my positioning accordingly to avoid getting into any close quarters situations.

Back