Installing a Steering Cable

Willyjim

I needed an new manual steering cable on my 16' Arima. Seemed like a job I could do myself with some help from YouTube, so I removed the old one, and ordered the new one. But I was switching from a rack mount to rotary, which meant I needed a bigger hole in the dash for the helm. I got squeamish about drilling in my dash, and didn't have the right size hole saw anyway, so I decided to take it to a local Marine shop to finish the job. $470 dollars later, I had the new cable installed! This was for 3.6 hours labour, plus taxes and fees. Does anyone else think this is unreasonable? They say they had to remove the motor to get it installed. Maybe they had to jiggle it a bit to line up the rod? This seems like a pretty common, straight forward job that should have been done in less than an hour. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I really feel ripped off! Does anyone else have experience getting this done? I know...I should have just finished it myself!

I have changed steering cables a few times, only rack mounts though.
the last one was $175 out the door from SG power.
changed it out in about an hour and was back on the water fishing same morning.
$470 sounds pretty steep.

Yeah, that's about what I was expecting! I already had the parts all ready to go, and the old cable removed. I usually go to SG Power, but they are closed on Mondays, when I was doing this.

I hate the feeling of being ripped off too. On some transoms (especially smaller boats like yours) the routing is so tight the outboard does needs to be loosened off. Therefore more time to take o/b off and properly reseal bolts.

The bigger question is did you request an estimate first and give them any directions on scope of work or a maximum you were willing to pay? If they estimated 2 hours and charged you 3.6 maybe you have a case. If not, you gave them a blank cheque.

In the future you could request a shop to do just the work you aren't comfortable with ie cutting the hole in your dash. Then put your own sweat equity into finishing it.

You're right, Tightlines, I should have had an estimate up front, and I don't plan on making an issue of it. Lesson learned. I also won't go back there again.

makes me think of my days as an automotive mechanic. those half done jobs usually take the same time as a re and re job.
when your removed the old cable, did you pull a fish (string etc) through to install the new one?. if you didnt that could have taken a while to route the cable through the boat (removing and reinstalling pannels to get access etc.
custom fitting stuff takes lots of trial and error, set up, measuring, drilling etc.

however +1 on the estimate before hand

replacement cables are usually an inner cable that slides inside an outer sheath. (sealed unit)
once the inner cable gets seized it will break.
the whole unit get's replaced.

No fish string or fiddling with panels was required, except one panel that I had already totally removed, and he did replace it afterwards. The cable was just tucked under the gunwale, ziptied to the other wires under there. The only thing that may have been a bit tricky was lining up the rod to go into the tilt tube (or whatever it's call) on the motor, which is probably why he removed the motor. I had to bend the old one a bit to get it out.

I remember years ago my father in law had a boat, and a guy came to the house once a year or so, hauled it a way to his shop, tuned it up and brought it back. That sure was a handy arrangement. I bet his rates were a lot cheaper than these marine shops charge too. Does anyone still do that in Victoria?

I seem to recall reading lifting the motor on an Arima was required to install the new cable.
If you want to check further, or question your mechanics actions, check with these guys.
www.arimaowners.com
Good bunch of guys, and very knowledgable about Arimas.

That is a great forum! I had a look and I see that others have had to lift the motor. I guess it would depend on boat model and motor. Mine's only a 50 Yamaha. Maybe a bigger motor would line up the pivot tube with the well boot better? I'm still surprised that lifting a motor is a big deal in a marine shop. Anyway, I'm going to let it go...

In hindsight though, given that between parts and labour, this cost about $750, not including my time, I probably should have switched to hydraulic steering. It might have cost even more, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about doing this again down the road, and I'd have a better steering system.

On a side note, I had to cut a notch in the fibreglass under the boot in order to get mine to line up.
(no big deal on an older boat) the cables seem to have a 5-6 year life span

You probably got what you paid for, or very close. Done lot's of work on boats & paid to have lot's of work on boats for 50 years. They aren't assembly line made like cars. Corrosion & other issues make taking things apart more difficult. If doing yourself, how would you have lifted the motor? No doubt they used two people for part of this job.

this sounds correct. arimas arent the easiest boats to work on. I can verify that the engine would have to be moved to install new cable, plus remodifying the dash to accept the different bezel. You did not get ripped off. You could have done it yourself though, pretty easy directions to follow included with the new steering system.

On a side note, I had to cut a notch in the fibreglass under the boot in order to get mine to line up.
(no big deal on an older boat) the cables seem to have a 5-6 year life span

Had to do the samething on my boat or Marc had to.. First time he had to lift the motor and with in a year cable seized but under warranty then we just cut under the boot as it is a tight fit on some rigs.

On an Arima the motor needs to be lifted to replace the cable unless you want to cut a larger hole in the transom well that the cable goes through. I cut my old cable off when I installed my new hydraulic steering. Lifting the motor is no quick task as the lower engine mounting bolts are behind the gas tank and it is tight and tough to get to.

Love all this talk of Arima on our local forums...bought mine in August ;).

Just to follow up on this, I asked the service manager to have a look at the charge. He took the time to look into it and send me an explanation, as well as a store credit to ease the shock of the repair. Restored my faith in this local business. And thanks everyone for the helpful input!

Back