INBOARD or OUTBOARD Preference

Rol You and I are and exception to the rule as you have a motor/parts on hand to the point of being excessive . im not knocking outboard had one myself before it just for me and my configuration.
I prefer inboard WAY easier to work on I see these new outboard with all the computers and such on them a avg joe ISNT going to be able to work on them a 350 chev YES.
you say alt starters manifold ok ill go there in all the years NEVER had to replace a alt. 1 starter and a 1 set of manifolds this year swapped out to newer style manifold that are "DRY FIT" so no chance of leaking into cylinders. BUT you have to go into boats as a replace before it fails!!! sometimes .

All the years of boats I hardly EVER hear of an inboard blowing up but sure do hear of a lot of outboards BLOWING up.

Wolf

hmmm i fish year round???? guess im doing something wrong?? as Im out ALOT!!!!!! and mines a 383 stroker inboard cheap on fuel and runs great easy to rebuild $3,500. new outboard 25 grand..... thats a lot of rebuilds.........dont see alot of 20 year old outboards still running, pushing big boats....
but will say if you are not mechanically inclined buy a new outboard or inboard run it till it dies then do it all over again , whatever you own you have to maintain ANY engine and im not just talking putting gas into it.
if you have an inboard/outboard replace parts before they die. ANY hint of a problem replace to band aid it and hope for the best
I have spare parts on hand just like any smart outboard guy should or would

How often do you replace your leg? That has always been my big concern when mooring long term

Rol You and I are and exception to the rule as you have a motor/parts on hand to the point of being excessive . im not knocking outboard had one myself before it just for me and my configuration.
I prefer inboard WAY easier to work on I see these new outboard with all the computers and such on them a avg joe ISNT going to be able to work on them a 350 chev YES.
you say alt starters manifold ok ill go there in all the years NEVER had to replace a alt. 1 starter and a 1 set of manifolds this year swapped out to newer style manifold that are "DRY FIT" so no chance of leaking into cylinders. BUT you have to go into boats as a replace before it fails!!! sometimes .

All the years of boats I hardly EVER hear of an inboard blowing up but sure do hear of a lot of outboards BLOWING up.

Wolf
hey wolf to each there own right, but if you pick up a newer inboard guess what its computerized as well. as for the alt and starter all i was pointing out is on an outboard they are easy to get to, alot of boat manufactures don't consider serviceability when they drop the motors in and i have see just as many inboard/outboard give up as i have outboards. usually resulting in a pod.

I have avoided the new 4 stroke outboards for a couple of reasons and have kept my 2 strokes in service. I can do both simple maintenance and fairly extensive repairs with my 2 stroke. About the only repairs I won't do myself would involve anything to do with the power heads rotating assembly. (pistons, rods, crank etc) I leave that for the ship and take the guarantee of 90 days for those repairs. I can't justify 20K for an engine. That is a lot of charters to pay it back...basically working for no profit for a season. The new 4 strokes also have no cylinder liners so they are not rebuildable if the cylinder walls get damaged. Finally I don't make really long runs to the fishing grounds where the fuel savings would justify the extra capital costs.

LOL Jerrod...just dawned on me what you were getting at. Outboards blow up the engine is fried...inboards blow up..you get fried!!!! LOL

It's like anything else, no maintenance = problems. These things don't just blow up. The alt and starter need to be marine rated (ie. explosion proof). Flame arrestor on the carb, blower, etc. I really like my I/O, I do all the work/maintenance on it, and it's not difficult to access parts. All that stuff needs to be working to be safe.
With that said, I also like the newer outboards, they are great. But I can't afford the cost of them, nor the replacement cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
1997 Saltwater Series ...carbed engines

1997 Saltwater Series ...carbed engines

I'm with you profisher, I love 90's 2-stroke outboards. It was the height of engineering for carb'd 2-strokes before they started concentrating on DFI and 4-strokes. I can repair my outboards myself included complete rebuilds if required. I can rebuild one of these motors to like new condition for about 20% of buying a brand new DFI.

It's a case of simple cost-benefit analysis. 2k to rebuild an outboard or 10k to buy a new one (70hp). The brand new will be about 30% more fuel efficient but 8k buys a heck of a lot of fuel. Oh and new outboards fail eventually too!

YOUR right it comes down to simple maintenance i dont care if its inboard or outboard they all need workin all the years ive had 1 leg go and that was last year impact so it wouldnt have mattered what was on the boat.

But i in winter store my boat and tinker on it in warmth and listening to canucks... LOL
so i take the leg off and inspect everything and engine and whatever else needs done.

What Rollie does is an exception to the rule he has parts stand by you cant say that about many others, they run em and go get new 250 yammy/zukes or mercs know of a guy who has gone thru 3 in 6 years at 22 grand a pop thats alot of cake i must say.......
good thing he had another job

they run em and go get new 250 yammy/zukes or mercs know of a guy who has gone thru 3 in 6 years at 22 grand a pop thats alot of cake i must say.......

that sounds like either propping issues or operator issues and i would lean more towards operator issues.

I have avoided the new 4 stroke outboards for a couple of reasons and have kept my 2 strokes in service. I can do both simple maintenance and fairly extensive repairs with my 2 stroke. About the only repairs I won't do myself would involve anything to do with the power heads rotating assembly. (pistons, rods, crank etc) I leave that for the ship and take the guarantee of 90 days for those repairs. I can't justify 20K for an engine. That is a lot of charters to pay it back...basically working for no profit for a season. The new 4 strokes also have no cylinder liners so they are not rebuildable if the cylinder walls get damaged. Finally I don't make really long runs to the fishing grounds where the fuel savings would justify the extra capital costs.

NAILED IT. If you have a well-working two-stroke currently your better off just keeping the thing going, for all the reasons profisher states. The only problem is going into the future it's gonna be harder and harder to find good quality used two-strokes and even parts for that matter, basically making it necessary to go to the four. But until then...

Well known fact the 225s have had major issues with the inner cooler plates Yammy knows and dont care as the west coast fleet is small potaotes to them. ill stick to my inboard brand new is 3500 bucks,
Think of it this way would you pay for a car and after 3 years use and maybe 700 hours throw it away and buy a new one at another 20 to 25 grand ???? not me!!!!

WRONG WRONG WRONG on so many levels tired of guys like you.... that have no clue carry on.... im done

10 year certified journeyman MARINE mechanic. comparing apple to oranges $3500 does not buy you a new complete motor and gear case, maybe a rebuild with used parts then saying you can't spend 20-25k but that buys you a brand new COMPLETE outboard,( you can get rebuilt power heads for most models for around 10K COMPLETE) and your not running a antiquated 79 carburated gm engine with a equally old i'm just guessing 290 vovlo leg thats more than likely two week to handle the full power of the engine unless you spend the thousands upgrading to a diesel gear set so... 3 years 700 hrs on outboards shows the extent of your REAL knowledge, most last far longer than you realize. my outboard 1900hrs (2000) with routine maintenance my last one 2200 hrs (a yamaha 225 from 2005 sold with the boat still running fine) routine stuff ,three other suz's 225 all with well over 2500hrs all on boats 20 -26 foot thats to name a few that i know of. inboards had there day but outboards are far superior in every way, larger charging system ,better fuel consumption due to the power to weight ratio GROSSLY favoring the outboards, shop service time is generally half of what an inboard cost for regular service due to the extra components and accessibility involved,that doesn't even get into the wasted space in the boat it's self. what year is your truck or car why?funny you would want the best of modern tech for car or truck. hey i'm glad your happy (alot of guys are) with your sterndrive but for me as a pro in this field i would never buy a boat with a stern drive configuration. ...but thats me .

I will stick with old 2 stroke too. 6-7K to upgrade to newer 4 stroke is a very expensive way to 'save gas'. Would be a 15 year payoff period for the amount of usage I get. Everyone's situation is different though.

WELL ill show you the paper work if you like ALL NEW parts only thing that wasnt was the block which was bored out ... and checked via magnaflux so again your wrong dont tell me what i have and have not done ok ....

And yes put heavy duty u joints in the leg thats all you have to do boat handles the 425 ponies just fine.....

Well after having outboards for years now in the I/O inboard club...so will see how she goes..... I do like the fact everything is very accessible....

Back