Important Chinook update from Pacific Angler

If you havent sent an email please do. Load up their inbox for Tuesday morning. As said above, squeaky wheel may get the grease.
If it helps Mine is below, copy and paste if you want.

Hello all,

I am writing to you in support of the SFAB 2021 Chinook Retention Proposals, and the implementation of a marked selective fishery for the south coast of BC.

I firmly believe wildlife and fishery management decisions should be based on scientific data, and respect the rights of all Canadians to access and harvest stocks of non-concern. I fully support severe conservation measures to protect the endangered stocks, where the data and science supports this. The provided data shows that fisheries in areas such as Howe Sound have a near 0% chance of intercepting the stocks of concern. Opening a Marked Selective Fishery - hatchery retention only - will pose negligible risk to these stocks.

Opening a Marked Selective Fishery will drastically help the small businesses and small town economies that were heavily hit by last years restrictions. Personally, my family contributes thousands to the economy annually between gear purchases, moorage, fuel, boat maintenance and miscellaneous supplies on each trip. Retention opportunities increase bookings for local charters, bring more interest to the fishery and help boost tourism in local economies.

As previously stated, I fully support severe conservation measures where required and supported by data and science. I do not support blanket closures when the data shows otherwise. I do expect DFO to be addressing all difficulties and concerns facing these stocks and to focus on the real solutions to saving these runs. Such issues include increasing patrols to remove illegal nets on the Fraser, restoration of critical spawning habitat, emergency hatchery production and the removal of select seals that target these smolts and devastate the populations as they migrate out out to the ocean.

The management of our fisheries and wildlife is very important to my family and our way of life. The last two years of blanket closures have been devastating to the small town businesses and communities that rely on these fisheries.

Please follow the science and open the south coast to a sustainable marked selective fishery for 2021 and beyond immediately.

Thank you

Sent, c'mon folks lets get on this , every email and letter and if ya got the time and luck CALL counts !!
Lets get'er done !

If you havent sent an email please do. Load up their inbox for Tuesday morning. As said above, squeaky wheel may get the grease.

Hello all,

I am writing to you in support of the SFAB 2021 Chinook Retention Proposals, and the implementation of a marked selective fishery for the south coast of BC.

I firmly believe wildlife and fishery management decisions should be based on scientific data, and respect the rights of all Canadians to access and harvest stocks of non-concern. I fully support severe conservation measures to protect the endangered stocks, where the data and science supports this. The provided data shows that fisheries in areas such as Howe Sound have a near 0% chance of intercepting the stocks of concern. Opening a Marked Selective Fishery - hatchery retention only - will pose negligible risk to these stocks.

Opening a Marked Selective Fishery will drastically help the small businesses and small town economies that were heavily hit by last years restrictions. Personally, my family contributes thousands to the economy annually between gear purchases, moorage, fuel, boat maintenance and miscellaneous supplies on each trip. Retention opportunities increase bookings for local charters, bring more interest to the fishery and help boost tourism in local economies.

As previously stated, I fully support severe conservation measures where required and supported by data and science. I do not support blanket closures when the data shows otherwise. I do expect DFO to be addressing all difficulties and concerns facing these stocks and to focus on the real solutions to saving these runs. Such issues include increasing patrols to remove illegal nets on the Fraser, restoration of critical spawning habitat, emergency hatchery production and the removal of select seals that target these smolts and devastate the populations as they migrate out out to the ocean.

The management of our fisheries and wildlife is very important to my family and our way of life. The last two years of blanket closures have been devastating to the small town businesses and communities that rely on these fisheries.

Please follow the science and open the south coast to a sustainable marked selective fishery for 2021 and beyond immediately.

Thank you
Great letter!

Hello all,

Thank you
Thanks for the template. Done.

Sent one today, let’s hope someone is listening.

The minister likely won't, however one of her underlings will
be compelled to read them.
Unfortunately, they tend to get dumped on the Regional staff, who are already overwhelmed because of all the cuts to operational staff. Of course, the Regional Bios and managers then have to put all their ”real” work on hold (ironically the management and protection of these stocks) because responding to the Minister’s priorities trumps everything in the civil service ... it’s a great system!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Unfortunately, they tend to get dumped on the Regional staff, who are already overwhelmed because of all the cuts to operational staff. Of course, the Regional Bios and managers then have to put all their ”real” work on hold (ironically the management and protection of these stocks) because responding to the Minister’s priorities trumps everything in the civil service ... it’s a great system!!!

Cheers!

Ukee
I agree the system sucks and was designed specifically that way.
But we gotta do what we can do, and right now, that's sending emails!

Back